Switching to SR:LE midway through a STEP (Extended) build

After reaching section 2.L Sound in the STEP guide, I've decided I should probably be building SR:LE. The reason being that I really wanted to use some mods that are not in Extended but are in SR:LE.  My system is not the best, so I will probably reduce the texture size to 1k.  

I'm guessing the best way to do this is to start over, correct?  It would be nice if I could just add/replace the specific mods, but I'm thinking that my be more hassle than starting over.

Is there any way to save my current games?  I have two separate profiles with locally saved games in MO.

Thanks.

While it's possible to continue from where you are and convert over it would require alot of care and ensuring you removed/reinstalled the relevant mods that are not part of SRLE or have different choices when being installed as part of SRLE.

Once you finish your SRLE build check out SRLE LOTD, and SRLE Reqtified as many people finish installing SRLE and realize they want... a bit 'more' gameplay wise.  SRLE LOTD and SRLE Reqtified 'complete' things in different ways.

Your saves, however, are probably toast in any case.

Thanks for the info jd.  The more I think about it, I may just wait to see what is in the Skyrim Special Edition set to release later this month. I have yet to complete a play though and I'm spending far more time modding than I am playing. 

I also need to read up more on using "packs".  If I do decide to finish my build, that may be the way to go. There are only a few mods I really want to add to Extended, and it looks like the survival pack contains most of them.

Thanks for the info jd.  The more I think about it, I may just wait to see what is in the Skyrim Special Edition set to release later this month. I have yet to complete a play though and I'm spending far more time modding than I am playing. 

I also need to read up more on using "packs".  If I do decide to finish my build, that may be the way to go. There are only a few mods I really want to add to Extended, and it looks like the survival pack contains most of them.

you could do that but remember it will be several months before mods catch up to the special edition and SKSE will take a while to switch plus As far as I know there wont be SKYUI so unless a separate mod comes out the will mean no MCM (which is a deal breaker).

Edited by Darth_mathias

you could do that but remember it will be several months before mods catch up to the special edition and SKSE will take a while to switch plus As far as I know there wont be SKYUI so unless a separate mod comes out the will mean no MCM (which is a deal breaker).

I didn't know that about SKYUI. Yes, that would be a deal breaker for me also.  Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

hello there,

i'm in the same boat. well.... i already finished my STEP setup and it's working. i added (with quite some hassle) realvision ENB and a couple of mods from the SR:LE page, as i initially thought it kinda builds on STEP. which it doesn't.

nevertheless, i'm somewhere in the middle and i guess i start anew completely with SR:LE.

STEP is great, but the simple truth is, i didn't really figure out how to go from STEP to something advanced that includes an ENB and various popular game-changing mods (like PerMa), nor is there any real support for female body mods (i seriously could use a good guide of how to setup CBBE/UNP and use bodyslide).

anyway .... can someone quickly tell me, whether maybe going for SRLE LOTD (and beyond) makes sense on my machine? i have atm only a laptop, but the powerful Dell XPS, 16 GB RAM, i7-6700HQ@2.6GHz, 500 GB SSD (of which 50-60% for skyrim is fine ;)) and an nVidia GTX 960M. The latter worries me, as anything else but the performance version of realvision (which is said to be already performance friendly) drops me to <10 FPS. so i am not sure how vividian with all the LotD mods will fare (it's okay for me to use the performance version)

if one of the LotD authors reads this: i am a newb. but i am smart and with setting up my game via STEP i learned a lot. and i noticed a lot of things that could be described better/easier for those not already familiar with modding. kinda teaching how to mod on the go, without having the user to read a wall of description of how MO works, which the user forgets soon and has to look up again a few more times.

STEP does a good job on the teaching part, but there is room for improvement. SR:LE has some things that STEP does not: like using ENB organizer (which STEP should use even without using an ENB preset), working with DDSopt, *having* an ENB ...
SR:LE does lack quite a lot of explanations, IMO. e.g., why remove .txt files from mods? is there any gain? what is a .bsl file and why we remove it? how to organize mods to keep an overview (e.g., creating sections in MO like "=== 4. landscape ===", "=== 20. conflicting mods ===" ...)

LOTD coloring is great, as it draws attention (and if neovalen inherits you the guide as currently discussed i hope you transfer that part ;)). i'd structure the guide into more pieces, though, make the sheer amount less overwhelming.
my point is: i gladly would provide my POV as a newb, where i'd like to get a bit more "hand-holding", where explanations are missing, etc.; i made plenty of notes while following the STEP guide, could do that here, too.
if you want ;)

hello there,

i'm in the same boat. well.... i already finished my STEP setup and it's working. i added (with quite some hassle) realvision ENB and a couple of mods from the SR:LE page, as i initially thought it kinda builds on STEP. which it doesn't.

nevertheless, i'm somewhere in the middle and i guess i start anew completely with SR:LE.

STEP is great, but the simple truth is, i didn't really figure out how to go from STEP to something advanced that includes an ENB and various popular game-changing mods (like PerMa), nor is there any real support for female body mods (i seriously could use a good guide of how to setup CBBE/UNP and use bodyslide).

anyway .... can someone quickly tell me, whether maybe going for SRLE LOTD (and beyond) makes sense on my machine? i have atm only a laptop, but the powerful Dell XPS, 16 GB RAM, i7-6700HQ@2.6GHz, 500 GB SSD (of which 50-60% for skyrim is fine ;)) and an nVidia GTX 960M. The latter worries me, as anything else but the performance version of realvision (which is said to be already performance friendly) drops me to <10 FPS. so i am not sure how vividian with all the LotD mods will fare (it's okay for me to use the performance version)

if one of the LotD authors reads this: i am a newb. but i am smart and with setting up my game via STEP i learned a lot. and i noticed a lot of things that could be described better/easier for those not already familiar with modding. kinda teaching how to mod on the go, without having the user to read a wall of description of how MO works, which the user forgets soon and has to look up again a few more times.

STEP does a good job on the teaching part, but there is room for improvement. SR:LE has some things that STEP does not: like using ENB organizer (which STEP should use even without using an ENB preset), working with DDSopt, *having* an ENB ...

SR:LE does lack quite a lot of explanations, IMO. e.g., why remove .txt files from mods? is there any gain? what is a .bsl file and why we remove it? how to organize mods to keep an overview (e.g., creating sections in MO like "=== 4. landscape ===", "=== 20. conflicting mods ===" ...)

LOTD coloring is great, as it draws attention (and if neovalen inherits you the guide as currently discussed i hope you transfer that part ;)). i'd structure the guide into more pieces, though, make the sheer amount less overwhelming.

my point is: i gladly would provide my POV as a newb, where i'd like to get a bit more "hand-holding", where explanations are missing, etc.; i made plenty of notes while following the STEP guide, could do that here, too.

if you want ;)

Looks like Darth is retiring and Neovalen has already stepped away.  You're free to check out the SRLE Reqtified guide if you'd like.  Having said that... we're currently updating it to be a standalone experience so things will be in flux for a bit. We've decided that we have until the end of the month to lock down all of the content.

i also realized darth's sudden retirement yday. i hope it's not because i showed up here in the forum for the first time :D

i'll look at that guide. even though i know about the integration, which is supposed to take 1-2 weeks, i probably will start modding nevertheless, using the SRLE base guide. i guess that once the reqtified guide is done i just have to remove a bunch of mods and add a few others, and re-run some patches (that part that is expertly explained in darth's guide at the beginning - i'd suggest to adopt that style of explanation ;))

but anyway many thanks for the information! and the great work you guys put into those guides! helps newbies like me a *lot*.

i also realized darth's sudden retirement yday. i hope it's not because i showed up here in the forum for the first time :D

i'll look at that guide. even though i know about the integration, which is supposed to take 1-2 weeks, i probably will start modding nevertheless, using the SRLE base guide. i guess that once the reqtified guide is done i just have to remove a bunch of mods and add a few others, and re-run some patches (that part that is expertly explained in darth's guide at the beginning - i'd suggest to adopt that style of explanation ;))

but anyway many thanks for the information! and the great work you guys put into those guides! helps newbies like me a *lot*.

My Semi-retirement had nothing to to with any user what so ever I had already stepped back from doing things back in August after the birth of my twin daughters. then Paul sent his plan for his Requiem build which i gave some advice on.

I really only come out of retirement to reorganize my guides wiki page to look like Pauls as I felt the style worked so much better then I had. Then some of the bigger mods got updated I decided to pull Morrowloot and an important NPC Retexture was released that I had been waiting on and this meant the CR's to be updated a tested as well.

But now everything has stabilized again I can go back to my Semi-Retirement and can enjoy my newborns and my teenage daughters plus Lexy kept glaring and rolling her eyes at me every time I sat at my computer and booted up MO. As you guys you need to keep your ladies happy other they can make your life quite difficult

To coin a phase from Lord of The Rings "One does not simply walk way from Skyrim Modding" so I will be back in time.

Edited by Darth_mathias