My step by step S.T.E.P. procedure - [SOLVED]

eperdos

Question

So, I write in here to let others, more experienced, to assist me and maybe to let others, less experienced to see how things goes by... So:

Hi all,

after I practically killed my system by installing way to many mods and my Skyrim stuttered in an unacceptable way, I started over and discovered S.T.E.P. witch I believe should provide a better starting point.

My specs:

Skyrim v1.8.151.0.7 +Downguard and Hearthfire

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @3.00Ghz

MSI geforce 560ti OC edition

4 Gb RAM (2x2)

500 GB HDD (7200rpm)

1600x1200 rezolution

!!!running with FPS Booster v1.1 and Razer Game Booster

Step 1

- clean install (as stated above) + official HD textures packs

- SKSE (v1.06.05)

- edited settings starting from ultra and changing:

-----AA 2x

-----AF off

-----shadows medium

-----grass distance maximized

-----everithing else at 50%

- nvidia inspector with these settings: https://wiki.step-project.com/images/b/b8/Nvidia_Inspector_Settings.png

- modified Skyrim.ini and SkyrimPrefs.ini according to STEP (so AF goes to 16x from here)

made 4 saves in 4 diferent locations. Testing is as follows:

- for every load I freshly execute the game again.

- I note the starting FPS as I spotted for 3 of the 4 location a most lower FPS spot.

- I note peak memory and peak page file memory (through Elys MemInfo)

- I benchmark with fraps a standardized running walk throughout that location.

- I go into game`s menu and note the new peak memory and peak page file memory

- I exit the game and check maximum video memory load (through GPU-Z)

- I note the min, max and med FPS from fraps` benchmark

Results on this clean install, v1.8.151.0.7 with officiall HD textures packs and changed settings and INI files, noting minimum, maximum and medium (rounded) FPS:

1. Riverwood: 45-77-68

2. Whiterun: 49-76-65

3. Markarth: 52-78-67

4. Riften: 42-77-63

So, that`s it! This is my first step into improving Skyrim by S.T.E.P. method. Even though they say a minimum of 50 FPS is needed in every location, I hope these result can be ok.

If anyone has any advise or remarks about these, please write them here, but in a constructive manner, please

• Answers 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Yes, indeed. Distant Detail made me lose 3-4 frames on average. uGrids 7 made me lose around 20%. But it is worth it. Of course, I would like to set it to 11 ;) but I don`t want a still Skyrim, but a living one ;) ;) ;)

Any way, of course Distant Detail is disabled. Like I already stated, I didn`t even like it so much, as it didn`t helped immersion much.

So, if you say it looks good, i`m very happy. I do hope bad things won`t happen like unacceptable stuttering or very low framerates. But just for asking, what is the most intense spot in Skyrim, that very spot that drain your machine of all it has to offer and even more? Just curios to make a test with it, to see how it behaves.

Thanks again for your help and for everyone`s help!!!

Two of the most intensive spots I can recall from testing... The area after you exit the cave from the beginning of the game before you reach the river and path leading to Riverwood. This area shot me down to 19 FPS during my ENB testing. Also, the general area around Riften can be intense, especially during foggy weather.

Posted Image

This is the specific spot out that cave and a bit down the path which caused a drop to around 19 FPS. I actually think that was my test of Project ENB as well.

OK, thank you!

One more issue:

I have no pointing arrow for my position and also no quest marker. I read it`s due to colored markers and I removed the map.swf file for interface folder in data folder. This made the arrow and quest marker reaper but now I have no colored markers. Can I still have both?

OK, thank you!

One more issue:

I have no pointing arrow for my position and also no quest marker. I read it`s due to colored markers and I removed the map.swf file for interface folder in data folder. This made the arrow and quest marker reaper but now I have no colored markers. Can I still have both?

Not sure which colored markers mod you're using. STEP will be using this one in the next release. Try it out and see if you still have the same issue:

https://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/26822