Cat is out of the bag

Tannin

Question

Dear MO users,

As you may have already read on the Nexus news (https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/news/12905/?), I've recently joined their ranks.

If you haven't read it yet: Yeah that happened.

Over the coming weeks and months we will keep the community informed on what we're planning
and working on for the future of NMM but right now many of you may be more concerned with
what this means for MO.

First I want to assure you that the primary reason of Robin hiring me was to take advantage of my experience with MO and to integrate it into the Nexus offering, not to kill off MO.

And the primary reason for me to take the job was that it will allow me to invest serious time into creating a better modding experience when previously it was becoming increasingly difficult for me to find time and motivation to work on MO in my spare time alongside a demanding job.

Obviously I won't be working on MO any more which unfortunately means that, unless someone else picks up where I left, MO v2 won't appear in a stable version. I know that will appear as a loss now and I apologize to everyone who was looking forward to a new release.

I do hope however that you trust me, and everyone else at Nexus Mods, to understand what you liked about MO.

I'm confident that with what we're planning you won't be missing MO for long.

• +1 9

What concerns me (i might be a bit selfish here), is will the current iteration of MO2 function with Skyrim SE.  If Tanin is happy to move to Nexus, then i'm happy for him, but i hope that MO2 will work with the new Skyrim so that we aren't "forced" into using the craptacular NMM until MO is assimilated into it or the Nexus team gets really smart and just replaces NMM with MO entirely.

/end rant.

With SSE coming out tomorrow is there a rush to get the mod manager out Tannin? I'm certainly not asking because MO won't work and NMM is bad enough dealing with FO4 and I dread using it with all the mods I use with regular Skyrim oh no~.

I was excited to hear that you were put on the team to make a better mod manager though, I hope things go very well for you and the team you work with and that it comes out hopefully soon, haha.

Congrats on the move! I look forward to the new NMM / MO combi. I appreciate what you did for us with MO and thank you for all your work on it.  :thumbsup:

Might you please be able to let me know if I can continue to use MO to put with the new SSE and do some downloading and use the virtual file structure for the meantime? Until the new NNM is available...

If not then it saves me trying to create my very first CTDs with the new SE!  :turned:

Thank you!

Congrats Tannin! I was just checking in to find out if MO supported the Special Edition as I was just downloading it.  I was saddened for selfish reasons to see this would not be the case but glad to see that NMM will evolve with well guided direction.  Look forward to what the future brings.    

Congrats! Hope this brings amazing possibilities to both you and the community. Just curious though, is this possibly related to Mod Organizer failing to let me login to Nexus to download mods with a Premium server? Every time I download a mod as of today, MO responds with "Failed Login", no matter how many times I put in my username and password. I use a password manager, and I logged into the Nexus website many times successfully today, including installed NMM with no issues, so I'm not typing it in wrong.

I'm wondering this too, especially since a few major mods I use got updated a few times over the last few days without me noticing. Regular servers are not working either, and I'd really rather not spend all weekend redownloading and reinstalling everything on NMM.

Edited by TacticianLyra

What concerns me (i might be a bit selfish here), is will the current iteration of MO2 function with Skyrim SE.  If Tanin is happy to move to Nexus, then i'm happy for him, but i hope that MO2 will work with the new Skyrim so that we aren't "forced" into using the craptacular NMM until MO is assimilated into it or the Nexus team gets really smart and just replaces NMM with MO entirely.

/end rant.

Hopefully, it'll be a hybrid of the two.  ^_^

"Plus we want to keep Linux and MacOS support an option and the MO vfs is impossible to port."

Perhaps this will help with with Vortex:

Linux (and MacOS by definition) supports VFSes by default, in fact some distros use one as their default file system now to unify local and remote storage. You can plug a VFS right into your application with FUSE and forget it's even there, and even Windows supports plug-in virtual file systems with the Installable File System mechanism, which is far superior to their old Shell Namespace Extension which didn't fully support low level file system access. No administrator install necessary, as it would be just one file in the existing file system it is hosted on, though it's really not hard if the user has admin access (i.e.: it's their own computer, not some work computer they shouldn't even be using it on).

Were you to use a FUSEd / IFS compatible vfs for Vortex, it might make one part of the project a lot easier, or at least it could be a plug-in option for people who can install a vfs on their own.

P.S.: Congrats on the new job.

Edited by GlassDeviant