STEP Community Growth

Farlo

100 all-at-once max reached today :dance:

Sweet! I wish MyBB had some kind of tracking so we could see how many people are actually active (as opposed to asking a question and never returning). There's got to be a plugin for that somewhere...
You already have that based on the users online. Users will show up for 15 minutes since their last interaction before disappearing from the online list, which is good enough. Attempting anything beyond this would involve trying to get real-time updates, but you still don't know when a user is still reading a page, has ran off to grab something before coming back, or has actually left.
I was referring to longterm activity over several weeks or months, i.e. the "retention rate" of visitors and whether they come back to the site, not their activities over the course of a session or two. It probably doesn't have much use and would require a lot of logging that I doubt many would like to have done on them, but it'd be interesting to see the results.
Farlo, as I mentioned in our chat a week or so ago, having S4N simply drop a Google Analytics tracking code into a universal element of the site will provide you with that exact detail you're looking for (in the footer works).

AWstats, which is what you have now, frankly sucks. Google Analytics is free, requires about 5 minutes of setup time and you'll have more stats than you know what to do with.

I'm looking at some opensource alternatives that we can host on the site itself that can give results similar to GA and not require sending information off to a third party.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm looking at some opensource alternatives that we can host on the site itself that can give results similar to GA and not require sending information off to a third party.

Just out of curiosity, why are you taking this route? Not knocking the decision at all...just interested in the "why".

Hello ol'timers ;)

I was delighted to read how well things are going with STEP, and stunned by the figures - mostly because I thought this should have happened ages ago!

Seriously though these things do tend to be exponential once they start rolling and word spreads through the web. All credit to you for the hours of effort put in, and to our users for sticking with this great project. I may not have contributed much but I am still proud to have been there at the beginning.

Most importantly credit goes to The Compiler for his original vision and focus that made STEP more than just another mod compilation guide... /bow.

I'm still a long way from affording a PC rebuild so Skyrim gathers dust on a shelf, as I can't bear the idea of playing it un-modded now :P It makes my mouth water just to think what it will be like with a full STEP by the time I play again :D - I still intend to be on TESO from the beginning and hope to see others there too... It won't be Elder Scrolls as we know it but that doesn't mean it won't be fun, and above all collaborative.

Best wishes and kudos to all you folks. B)

Just out of curiosity, why are you taking this route? Not knocking the decision at all...just interested in the "why".
I think it is an aversion to Google's focused advertising campaign.

Hello ol'timers ;)

I was delighted to read how well things are going with STEP, and stunned by the figures - mostly because I thought this should have happened ages ago!

Seriously though these things do tend to be exponential once they start rolling and word spreads through the web. All credit to you for the hours of effort put in, and to our users for sticking with this great project. I may not have contributed much but I am still proud to have been there at the beginning.

Most importantly credit goes to The Compiler for his original vision and focus that made STEP more than just another mod compilation guide... /bow.

I'm still a long way from affording a PC rebuild so Skyrim gathers dust on a shelf, as I can't bear the idea of playing it un-modded now :P It makes my mouth water just to think what it will be like with a full STEP by the time I play again :D - I still intend to be on TESO from the beginning and hope to see others there too... It won't be Elder Scrolls as we know it but that doesn't mean it won't be fun, and above all collaborative.

Thank you, Sir Bealdwine :D

I had responded before we switched hosts, but it was one of the posts that was lost.

The primary reason is privacy concerns for users. Many don't like to be tracked by services such as Google, and with browser plugins such as NoScript available that is easier to block. The only real reason to even consider a service such as Google is if we were implementing ads, and we are against those too.

Hello ol'timers ;)

Thanks for swinging by Bealdwine. Hope to see you in TESO at some point.

Archived