Does anyone want a new, up to date Oblivion pack?

Hello fellow gamers,

In waiting for the new LOTD mod to be released I decided to take a look at Oblivion mods. There is a lot of me stuff out there so I decided to completely blow out my Oblivion install. In doing so I am basically writing myself a tutorial so I know what I did. This tutorial can be easily adapted as another STEP Pack on this site.

How many of you would like to see a current tutorial for a fully blown out Oblivion? If there is enough interest I will put one together. Also, if anyone wants to help let me know. :)

I know Oblivion is old but I think it is still worth playing and some of the new mods look like they will improve immersion quite a bit so hey, let's play Oblivion. 

I am thinking the name will be

LOVE:GOTY

Love Oblivion's Visual Enhancement : GOTY

Or something like this. 

Just a friendly reminder about the need for guides: from our (STEP) perspective anyone can make a guide about any game they wish, if you have an account here you can log on to the wiki and make anything you like, within reason.

@Hishutup already has a guide based on Oblivion but finds it difficult to maintain due to inherent issues with Steam and MO and OBSE plugins.

Which leads me to the main point: don't make a guide because you think people may like it, make it because YOU want to.

Do you remember that old Kevin Costner movie about baseball, "if you build it they will come." If you still play Oblivion and want to create a guide based on your selection of mods, then feel free. Othere may join you after you have done the initial skeleton of the guide and help you flesh it out.

Which leads me to the main point: don't make a guide because you think people may like it, make it because YOU want to.

Do you remember that old Kevin Costner movie about baseball, "if you build it they will come." If you still play Oblivion and want to create a guide based on your selection of mods, then feel free. Othere may join you after you have done the initial skeleton of the guide and help you flesh it out.

This is some amazing advice right there. I would honestly have liked going back to Oblivion, but I just can't bear the thought of installing all those mods.  ::(:

Totally with grant, be selfish with guides because they -and users- are sometimes a pain.

For some reason, I felt the need to play oblivion after I'm done with the bioshock series but I don't know if I still feel the same way.

When I do get back into it, I'll probably make a "Pretty Much Vanilla" version as I do want that to be a series.

If you have something different to offer than go for it. If there are going to be a similar set of mods then maybe we can work something out.

If you need any help with the wiki whether it be with beginner or advanced, I can either help out or point you in a direction.

If you desire a custom template, I'm up for a challenge.

Just so you know, don't rely on the CSS extension, its going away and the wiki is being intermittently slow which can make minor edits trivial sometimes.

If I knew how to compile OBSE, I could make a hack job for Mod Organizer, but that is currently out of my knowledge.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a friendly reminder about the need for guides: from our (STEP) perspective anyone can make a guide about any game they wish, if you have an account here you can log on to the wiki and make anything you like, within reason.

@Hishutup already has a guide based on Oblivion but finds it difficult to maintain due to inherent issues with Steam and MO and OBSE plugins.

This is some amazing advice right there. I would honestly have liked going back to Oblivion, but I just can't bear the thought of installing all those mods.  ::(:

Same, I know I will come back to Oblivion at some point.

But I am about to start a Skyrim playthrought with STEP 2.10 (in dev') (+ Vivid Weather + Vividian ENB) so it might be in a long time...

Wait, maybe I can play both at the same time if you do a guide, once its done. :lol:

EDIT: Also now that I think a little bit more about it, I only played Oblivion on the 360 (and never finished it!), so if you make a guide I will FOR SURE follow it as soon as it is up!

Edited by Zorkha
  • 2 weeks later...

im working through hishutup's guide right now after doing a clean OS install this weekend. The only difference being I am using MO instead of Wrye Bash. Well, tbh, I'm using both. But, I am only using WB where I need to (primarily for OBSE plugins), and MO for everything else (using the setup/workaround presented by doubleyou a few years back). So far so good, but I'll keep you posted after I finish the setup and do testing

• 4 months later...

Thank feck for that! Thanks Astien! Oblivion is on hold for for a short while, but when I get the chance I will certainly check this out as the quests are so much better than Skyrim's.

One note: I may have missed it, but is there anything in there to fix the leveling, uninteresting landscapes and copy/paste dungeons? I am assuming this is covered by OOO along with other gameplay enhancements? From this: https://www.darkcreations.org/oscuros-oblivion-overhaul/wiki/Main_Page would assume some of it, but I also see that something called Unique Landscapes is recommended in Oblivion Reloaded page.

Thanks again!

Edit: The videos are appreciated too.

Edited by Guest

Thank feck for that! Thanks Astien! Oblivion is on hold for for a short while, but when I get the chance I will certainly check this out as the quests are so much better than Skyrim's.

One note: I may have missed it, but is there anything in there to fix the leveling, uninteresting landscapes and copy/paste dungeons? I am assuming this is covered by OOO along with other gameplay enhancements? From this: https://www.darkcreations.org/oscuros-oblivion-overhaul/wiki/Main_Page would assume some of it, but I also see that something called Unique Landscapes is recommended in Oblivion Reloaded page.

Thanks again!

Edit: The videos are appreciated too.

Rather than adding new stuff, my guide focuses on making what is already in the game look better. So there are plenty of mods that improve the look of the landscape and dungeons, but they don't do anything to make them more unique or interesting. You may want to check out bevilex's guide instead, which focuses on just trying to make the game look good as possible without worrying about how much it differs from vanilla Oblivion-

https://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/47591/?

For leveling, Oblivion XP Update and Realistic Leveling seem like the two best options. I use OBXP myself, as I mention in the short gameplay modlist linked in the main guide. For landscapes, you've got Unique Landscapes and the HESU Mod Collection to choose from. Then for dungeons, you can use Better Dungeons and/or Snus Dungeons.