Skyrim Special Edition: Your Thoughts and Impressions?

Any word on the NIF format 'improvements' from Jon or anyone else? I'll assume there won't be much of a difference being the old models work perfectly fine.

No, PS4 users are getting mods. Bethesda recently announced that PS4 is getting mods, but they won't be able to use any external assets.

So am I missing something here? In the article they say their creation kit is "available here". Clicking the link just has to installing the Bethesda Launcher, which I already have. There is a CK there, but it says it's for FO4. Are they the same or it simply not released yet?

I'm also reading this article: https://bethesda.net/en/article/25B2dGBtDacUaS2KOUsoMq/skyrim-special-edition-gone-gold-and-system-requirements

By the sounds of it, SSE mods will be limited to 5GB on the Xbox and 1GB on the PS4. That's not much room for mods consider my mod folder is 20GB...

Also, looks like it'll be available today for most USA users from reading the region unlock section. That's how it reads anyway.

Apparently BSAs cannot be compressed either but I don't have a direct quote.

Maybe the 5GB limit is something to do with Microsoft being worried about texture mods because that is the bulk of my LO, 30 something GB of them. Some textures are redundant but they're still there.

EDIT: Yes the game unlocks in a couple hours, check your steam library, preload should be there.

Also, looks like it'll be available today for most USA users from reading the region unlock section. That's how it reads anyway.

yes 1 am on the 28th here is England but starting from 5pm on the 27th PST plus Tech haven't you heard that the USA is the centre of the known universe and everything revolves around them.

Apparently BSAs cannot be compressed either but I don't have a direct quote.

Maybe the 5GB limit is something to do with Microsoft being worried about texture mods because that is the bulk of my LO, 30 something GB of them. Some textures are redundant but they're still there.

EDIT: Yes the game unlocks in a couple hours, check your steam library, preload should be there.

Yeah, I started the pre-load a little while ago. I was just surprised to see the unlock for today instead of at like...midnight.

@Darth

Our country shouldn't be the center of anything. It's not as great as it used to be. I totatlly agree with this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMqcLUqYqrs

I was specifically curious about the CK for SSE, but I seen some mods going up on Nexus already and wouldn't mind getting a jump on converting a few mods over (Jaggarsfeld and WATER, mainly).

It took me some time to stop being angry at Bethsoft for not remaking Morrowind and/or Oblivion. Oh well...it`s better than nothing I suppose.

What I wonder is:

-do you think old mods will be compatible? This is something they claim, and yet it seems improbable (at least for the mods related to gfx)

-any chance the engine will be improved regarding the Vsync-on malarkey? I really wish they unlocked the framerate so it doesn`t break the game - I discovered that "safe" threshold is 85 Hz, above that I see dead chickens and other bad stuff happens.

-in general,  do you think minimum framerates could improve with this remake (or whatever you call it). Atm I go from ~55 in cities with lots of NPCs milling around to 85 (capped) fps. That`s on 980 Ti/2600K with about 30 mods (no heavy gfx).

It took me some time to stop being angry at Bethsoft for not remaking Morrowind and/or Oblivion. Oh well...it`s better than nothing I suppose.

What I wonder is:

-do you think old mods will be compatible? This is something they claim, and yet it seems improbable (at least for the mods related to gfx)

-any chance the engine will be improved regarding the Vsync-on malarkey? I really wish they unlocked the framerate so it doesn`t break the game - I discovered that "safe" threshold is 85 Hz, above that I see dead chickens and other bad stuff happens.

-in general,  do you think minimum framerates could improve with this remake (or whatever you call it). Atm I go from ~55 in cities with lots of NPCs milling around to 85 (capped) fps. That`s on 980 Ti/2600K with about 30 mods (no heavy gfx).

Old mods...depends on the mod. Texture, mesh, and most animation mods (that don't require FNIS) should work out of the box with SSE. Mods that rely on third-party tools (FNIS, DynDOLOD, etc) and those that require SKSE will have to wait until those tools and SKSE are released for SSE.

No idea about vsync.

I don't expect framerates to improve. In fact, the recommended requirements are even higher than that of the original 32-bit game. It should be more stable memory-wise simply due to the move to 64-bit, though. This means tools like the memory patch and ENBoost should no longer be required.

Any word on the NIF format 'improvements' from Jon or anyone else? I'll assume there won't be much of a difference being the old models work perfectly fine.

Nif format has changed but old format is still supported except for some legacy options like NiTriStrips.

Old mods...depends on the mod. Texture, mesh, and most animation mods (that don't require FNIS) should work out of the box with SSE. Mods that rely on third-party tools (FNIS, DynDOLOD, etc) and those that require SKSE will have to wait until those tools and SKSE are released for SSE.

No idea about vsync.

I don't expect framerates to improve. In fact, the recommended requirements are even higher than that of the original 32-bit game. It should be more stable memory-wise simply due to the move to 64-bit, though. This means tools like the memory patch and ENBoost should no longer be required.

I kind of do expect frames to improve cause DX11 and memory restriction removal... at least for Win10 users.