174 replies to this topic

#151 airbreather

airbreather

Guard

• Developers
  • PipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 05:57 AM

How are you planning to tackle the issue of constant version updating? It is hard to constantly check 300 or so mods for updated versions, and updating the xml's is crucial.

I take a three-pronged approach:

1. Track all the Nexus mods in the Nexus File Tracking Center and keep an eye on it every day or so.
  2. Rely on user reports to let me know if something falls through the cracks (notably, Boris has updated ENBSeries semi-quietly a few times since I've released 1.0, and I don't have an easy way to detect that).
  3. Keep this up until finding a better solution (which was initially going to be something I was planning to write "later", though now I'm waiting for the Mod Picker utility).

Also how are you planning to avoid inexperienced modder problems from people who have never actually used any of the tools by themselves and thus when they want to install a new mod over the packs will have to immediately learn to run all the utilities?

That's not a problem I think this can / should try to solve.  Once you go off the rails, then StepperUpper-style automation is pretty much off the table.  The best I think that this can do in that world is give the user a solid "known-working" foundation (at least to the extent that you can trust that I've got it working... any mistakes I make will virtually always be seen by everybody who installs that same configuration, e.g., #27 back before I fixed that) and make it easier for them to start over from a clean slate without having to copy off a "clean" version of everything to go back to in case things go pear-shaped.

The solid "known-working" foundation actually has the potential to be very useful... minimally, you can be fairly confident that mistakes are probably with something you've done.  And if you can't figure it out yourself, a support request could reasonably have repro steps that look like this:

1. Install STEP Core + STEP Extended with StepperUpper (pack file versions 1.2.1.13, software version 1.1.0.0)
  2. Do X custom thing
  3. Do Y custom thing
  4. (steps for rebuilding the bashed patch)
  5. (steps for generating DSR)
  6. (steps for generating FNIS)
  7. (steps for DynDOLOD TexGen)
  8. (steps for DynDOLOD Worlds)
  9. (steps to reproduce the thing in Skyrim)

Then someone can actually have a reasonable chance of following along and helping out.  Otherwise, helpers can easily find themselves on a wild goose chase if you missed some weird important step in the STEP guide or did it improperly (maybe you put a wrong input in one of the FOMOD installers).

#152 DeimosEvotec

DeimosEvotec

Prisoner

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 05:39 AM

First of all I can't thank you enough for making this. It is awesome and works great so far.

Also Cutting Room Floor - Legendary Edition 2.0.4 was missing some files and is no longer available for download.

Here is the updated file data for the xmls:

<File Name="Cutting Room Floor - Legendary Edition 2.0.5"
      LengthInBytes="6275596"
      CanonicalFileName="Cutting Room Floor - Legendary Edition-47327-2-0-5.7z"
      MD5Checksum="de4322b1cdb4c6042e2fe3ff6fe5ba23"
      DownloadTags="nexus|skyrim|47327|1000240086" />

Edited by DeimosEvotec, 28 March 2017 - 05:39 AM.

#153 airbreather

airbreather

Guard

• Developers
  • PipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 07:21 PM

First of all I can't thank you enough for making this. It is awesome and works great so far.

Also Cutting Room Floor - Legendary Edition 2.0.4 was missing some files and is no longer available for download.

Here is the updated file data for the xmls:

<File Name="Cutting Room Floor - Legendary Edition 2.0.5"
      LengthInBytes="6275596"
      CanonicalFileName="Cutting Room Floor - Legendary Edition-47327-2-0-5.7z"
      MD5Checksum="de4322b1cdb4c6042e2fe3ff6fe5ba23"
      DownloadTags="nexus|skyrim|47327|1000240086" />

Updated, thanks.

#154 krageon

krageon

Prisoner

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 07:21 PM

Every dropbox link in the original guide for SR:LE (they're directly embedded into the SR:LE xml file as well) is dead, sadly. A few other mods are now missing from the nexus as well - I'll see if I can remove everything I can't find from the xml without destroying anything and whether or not I can make a diff of some kind. That should clear up exactly which mods they are :)

Edited by krageon, 31 March 2017 - 07:24 PM.

#155 airbreather

airbreather

Guard

• Developers
  • PipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 07:43 PM

Every dropbox link in the original guide for SR:LE (they're directly embedded into the SR:LE xml file as well) is dead, sadly. A few other mods are now missing from the nexus as well - I'll see if I can remove everything I can't find from the xml without destroying anything and whether or not I can make a diff of some kind. That should clear up exactly which mods they are :)

Ouch.  I guess that's one of the things we sign up for when building on top of packs that are no longer being actively maintained by the author.

I'm not sure what the solution is.

#156 krageon

krageon

Prisoner

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 08:18 PM

Well, *one* of the patches (thankfully this looks to be one of the larger ones) is at least documented: http://wiki.step-pro...lict_Resolution

This could in theory be rebuilt. I have space available to throw files onto (that won't get taken down as easily). As for the other patches, I don't have a clear notion of what each one does. The descriptions can be quite concise (eg "fixes a CTD in <some armor piece>") and while I do understand the fundamental concepts of the tooling, I don't have good enough in-depth engine knowledge to reconstruct the fix from there.

Perhaps the original author can be contacted for the files? It may be that he just got a warning from dropbox or that he needed space on there, but that he is still willing to let the fixes be redistributed elsewhere.

Edit: I'm not sure, but this might be him: http://forum.step-pr...er/75-neovalen/

It doesn't seem like his account is inactive. Is there a good way to see whether or not this is the same person?

Edited by krageon, 31 March 2017 - 08:26 PM.

#157 Nebulous112

Nebulous112

High King

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,414 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 08:48 PM

Yeah, it is Neo's guide and he made most of the linked Dropbox files. All old Dropbox links died a while back (not just this guide) and now need a new URL.

A lot of them are on the (active) successor guide with new links, SR:LE Extended LotD. Not sure about all of them, though.

#158 krageon

krageon

Prisoner

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 11:40 PM

It's a little late where I am, so I'm not in a position to judge whether or not those map back onto the guide the SR:LE xml is based on. In any case, thank you for the heads up :)

I've sent him a message asking him if I can rehost the files for him. That should at least provide an intermediate fix, provided it's ok.

Edit: I've done a test run with the following XML: https://gist.github....d35011fd510b6b3

It's far from ideal (ie all the patches are missing) and it generates a few errors at the end. I'll perform the rest of the steps later to see whether or not I can actually get it to run properly without any glaring issues.

Edited by krageon, 31 March 2017 - 11:47 PM.

#159 airbreather

airbreather

Guard

• Developers
  • PipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 07:47 AM

It's a little late where I am, so I'm not in a position to judge whether or not those map back onto the guide the SR:LE xml is based on. In any case, thank you for the heads up :)

I've sent him a message asking him if I can rehost the files for him. That should at least provide an intermediate fix, provided it's ok.

Edit: I've done a test run with the following XML: https://gist.github....d35011fd510b6b3

It's far from ideal (ie all the patches are missing) and it generates a few errors at the end. I'll perform the rest of the steps later to see whether or not I can actually get it to run properly without any glaring issues.

I think the next logical step should be to just get myself in gear and commit to getting SR:LE Extended LotD and maintaining that pack file instead of base SR:LE.  The reason I originally didn't was because the install guide for that pack had a line that said something like "make sure you have a working SR:LE to start from", so making a pack file for the base SR:LE was something that could be leveraged by that install process anyway.  But I don't see that line anymore (which makes sense because the current SR:LE guide grows more and more impossible to install as time goes on).

To be clear, I'm not committing to that right now... as you can see I've been slowly fading away (I really shouldn't have needed a prompt to update Cutting Room Floor), so I'm worried that if I started on that, I might not finish and then all that time would be wasted.  From a glance, though, I don't think there's any "key" task in that one that would require adding new task types to StepperUpper like I had to for SR:LE (thus the 1.1.0.0 "beta" version), so it should just be an XML file, and I can knock those out incrementally.

As always, the way I see it, the ideal would be mator's Mod Picker setup thingy, mainly because the hard work would be done by someone who isn't me ::D:.

#160 krageon

krageon

Prisoner

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 06:49 AM

That is very understandable :)

I was working on re-creating the large compatibility patch this weekend, but sadly the videocard in my laptop decided to die. The work I was doing in TES5edit was therefore lost after the BSOD (many, many BSOD's - a reboot loop in fact), and I had to nuke the drive regardless before I send the laptop in for replacement. When I get one back I'll look back into this, but that may take a week or two.

I'll monitor my private messages and rehost the files if I do receive them, which would remove the need to re-do the whole patch from scratch.

#161 krageon

krageon

Prisoner

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 06:58 AM

It's been a few days and it doesn't look like I'm getting the original patches and permission to rehost them from the author. This makes me sad :(

#162 airbreather

airbreather

Guard

• Developers
  • PipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 07:05 AM

Did another version update for STEP per USLEEP update.  I was going to do DynDOLOD at the same time, but 2.25 is currently crashing at a point so it'll be a bit.

I'm still going to touch the SR:LE pack file for updates when it's really easy to do (e.g., it was really easy for me to just bump up the USLEEP version number), but for the most part, it's pretty much going to stay as it is unless I can be convinced that I, or someone else, would be allowed to redistribute the auxiliary files.

#163 airbreather

airbreather

Guard

• Developers
  • PipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 07:34 AM

Did another version update for STEP per USLEEP update.  I was going to do DynDOLOD at the same time, but 2.25 is currently crashing at a point so it'll be a bit.

I'm still going to touch the SR:LE pack file for updates when it's really easy to do (e.g., it was really easy for me to just bump up the USLEEP version number), but for the most part, it's pretty much going to stay as it is unless I can be convinced that I, or someone else, would be allowed to redistribute the auxiliary files.

Heh, right after I said that, I refreshed the DynDOLOD Nexus page and saw that the Nexus was actively processing 2.26, so I gave it another minute and it was there.  Pushed out another quick pack file version update.

(edit: only reason it took me almost half an hour after my previous post was because I've got a rule that I don't push anything out without minimally seeing it run to completion, so I just ran my "everything minus SR:LE" batch file on it)

Edited by airbreather, 01 May 2017 - 07:35 AM.

#164 airbreather

airbreather

Guard

• Developers
  • PipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 07:59 AM

FYI I'm aware that XCE and XCE - Dawnguard are currently hidden and unavailable for people to download politely.  I'm waiting for things to settle down (ideally, either the mods get unhidden, transferred to The Care Taker (additional link) or someone else, or there's an official STEP guide update ideally with suggested alternatives) before updating the StepperUpper XML files.

#165 Muzinzafrika

Muzinzafrika

Prisoner

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 06:02 AM

Hey airbreather the STEP guide was updated a few days ago and I was wondering when you would be able to update stepper-upper for the new version of the guide. Of course work on it at your own pace, this tool is a real godsend ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users