166 replies to this topic

#16 Greg

Greg

High King

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,406 posts

Posted 31 October 2016 - 07:41 PM

Have you considered using the LZMA SDK instead of using 7z as an external app? I think this might give you a bit more flexibility than dealing with command line arguments.

#17 airbreather

airbreather

Guard

• Developers
  • PipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 31 October 2016 - 08:22 PM

Have you considered using the LZMA SDK instead of using 7z as an external app? I think this might give you a bit more flexibility than dealing with command line arguments.

Yes; in fact, I spent a good amount of brainpower on figuring out if that, or something along those lines, would be a good fit before just punting that down the road for a while.

The first problem is that 7-zip (the application) handles many different archive formats (.rar, .zip, and .7z being the three used by STEP, and I wouldn't be surprised if others are used in the wild), so it's not so simple as "open this file and treat it like a .7z archive" which the LZMA SDK itself is limited to (at the most... even support for handling the .7z archive format isn't available on all platforms that the LZMA SDK is provided on, so there's some plumbing to be done).  I think StepperUpper can still get the right level of functionality by directly using the 7z.dll file that it bundles, since the DLL is where I think the support for other archives is defined, but that means interop from C# / .NET probably with P/Invoke (though if it's accessible via COM, then that's a little easier I guess).  Doable, but it does not look fun.  It looks even less fun the more "interesting" things that I want to do with it.

So at least for now, invoking 7z.exe as a subprocess is cheap enough and good enough to be worth keeping around until the more important problems can be solved.

Thanks for bringing it up, though.

#18 airbreather

airbreather

Guard

• Developers
  • PipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 10 November 2016 - 10:48 PM

0.9.2.0 is out there now, with pre-checking for output directory path lengths (and some changes to the way things are done to accept some longer output directory paths that would have previously been rejected), and with some "Finalize" AutoHotkey scripts to automate post-process stuff for DSR, FNIS, and DynDOLOD.

See the first post on this thread for details.

I'm really worried that the AutoHotkey things actually might be a bit fragile and/or machine-specific, so I'd appreciate if someone else other than myself could run through a setup that ends with STEP_Extended_Finalize-2.2.9.2.xml and report here on how it goes, whether it's successful or a failure.  You don't have to do anything special to get AutoHotkey, the Finalize script will download it into your "Downloads" folder automatically if you don't have it already.

If it ever pauses for more than 10 or so seconds on a screen that's normally expecting you to do something, then it's probably hung and you need to exit AutoHotkey manually.  If this is the case, there will be a letter "H" in the notification area; right-click it and exit from there.  Note that part of the DynDOLOD script intentionally pauses for 5 seconds on the advanced settings screen after clicking "Medium" because the listbox populates lots of stuff at that point.

#19 Marinara

Marinara

Prisoner

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 November 2016 - 09:32 PM

The exe closes immediately after opening. Am I missing something simple? I have the correct version of .NET Installed.

#20 airbreather

airbreather

Guard

• Developers
  • PipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 12 November 2016 - 07:58 AM

The exe closes immediately after opening. Am I missing something simple? I have the correct version of .NET Installed.

Are you running it with the required command-line arguments?  You need to give it at least -p, -o, -d, and -s to get it to do stuff with STEP Core.

It'll tell you all the command line args when you run it from the command prompt (instead of double-clicking it).

#21 airbreather

airbreather

Guard

• Developers
  • PipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 13 November 2016 - 02:26 PM

Are you running it with the required command-line arguments?  You need to give it at least -p, -o, -d, and -s to get it to do stuff with STEP Core.

It'll tell you all the command line args when you run it from the command prompt (instead of double-clicking it).

I caved and added a little bit of a UI for 0.9.3.0 that will show up if you omit any of -p, -o, and/or -d.  -s is no longer required in 0.9.3.0 unless you have a pack file that targets a minimum tool version earlier than 0.9.3.0 or something that uses one of the {SteamInstallFolder*} template parameters (new pack files use {SkyrimInstallFolder*} instead).

Of course, see the top post for a bit more details about what's new in 0.9.3.0.  It's mostly just a lot of small quality-of-life improvements.

I'm really close to the end of what I want to do before I call this "out of beta".  All that's left on my list at this point is something for #18.

#22 airbreather

airbreather

Guard

• Developers
  • PipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 14 November 2016 - 12:40 AM

I've done a video demo to show what it looks like to run through this:

It's on the front post too, I just figured it's worth pinging the thread over.

#23 darkside

darkside

High King

• Mod Authors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 14 November 2016 - 04:03 PM

I've done a video demo to show what it looks like to run through this:

It's on the front post too, I just figured it's worth pinging the thread over.

This is amazing!

#24 GrantSP

GrantSP

The antipodean

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,744 posts

Posted 14 November 2016 - 04:59 PM

I am flabbergasted!

Did I just see a complete STEP Extended install with FNIS and DynDOLOD as well?

The trick with notifications for missing mods/tools was a nice touch also. This may actually be the tool users have been calling for for so long.

#25 Darth_mathias

Darth_mathias

Dragon King

• Pack Authors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,754 posts

Posted 14 November 2016 - 05:05 PM

this just simply amazing and for your next trick an automated SRLE Base install; the would take you up to god status.

#26 PioneerRaptor

PioneerRaptor

Guard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 14 November 2016 - 07:19 PM

That was a very nice video! I was just thinking to myself what happens when a mod is missing. I love how it is setup!

#27 airbreather

airbreather

Guard

• Developers
  • PipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 14 November 2016 - 09:09 PM

Thanks for the positive feedback, all!

I am flabbergasted!

Did I just see a complete STEP Extended install with FNIS and DynDOLOD as well?
The trick with notifications for missing mods/tools was a nice touch also. This may actually be the tool users have been calling for for so long.

Yep -- of course, at this point as far as I know, the manual parts at the end where it runs AutoHotkey all just have "works on my machine" status.

this just simply amazing and for your next trick an automated SRLE Base install; the would take you up to god status.

Heh, I would have to do it the normal way at least once, and that's before getting to the hard part (which is telling a computer how to do it).  SR:LE and your extensions have always looked really daunting to me for some reason; maybe it's the tiny scroll bar thumb and the words words words words words.

At a glance, it looks like there's a lot more "special" stuff than what I'm ready to take on immediately (at least until I release the first non-Beta version of this), but I don't think there's anything in there that's completely impossible to automate, and I figure that even if I can't do it 100%, worst-case is that it can help shave off what I imagine to be a good few hours of mind-numbing tasks, leaving only the more "interesting" ones.

#28 akaifire

akaifire

Prisoner

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 November 2016 - 12:05 AM

I've been using this for my latest STEP install, and I'm seeing some missing terrain surrounding the road from Riften to Fort Dawnguard. I've tried reinstalling and disabling everything else, and there's something wrong with the cleaned Dawnguard ESM being generated.

Screenshots

#29 remlnx

remlnx

Citizen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 15 November 2016 - 05:27 AM

Was about to give this a try but I can't find easy clear instructions (I know i am not a fast/smart one) all those xml files confused me a lot, so i give up for now and wait to see if a step by step guide will show up :) in the meantime i do the good old manual work to set up step. Still look like a good tool, i only need to figure out how it work

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

#30 airbreather

airbreather

Guard

• Developers
  • PipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 15 November 2016 - 07:44 AM

I've been using this for my latest STEP install, and I'm seeing some missing terrain surrounding the road from Riften to Fort Dawnguard. I've tried reinstalling and disabling everything else, and there's something wrong with the cleaned Dawnguard ESM being generated.

Screenshots

Looks pretty damning.  I'll see if I can reproduce the issue and then figure out what's wrong.

Was about to give this a try but I can't find easy clear instructions (I know i am not a fast/smart one) all those xml files confused me a lot, so i give up for now and wait to see if a step by step guide will show up :) in the meantime i do the good old manual work to set up step. Still look like a good tool, i only need to figure out how it work

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Quickest version I can come up with (assuming you want STEP Extended):

1. Download the StepperUpper *.7z file from the "latest version" link in the first post on this topic and extract it somewhere.
  2. Download the XML files for STEP Core, STEP Extended, and STEP Extended (Finalize) from the links in the first post on this topic.
    1. You could instead use the XML files bundled with the StepperUpper release package, but they don't get updated quite as often.
  3. Run StepperUpper.exe from the extracted file.
  4. Using the "Add Pack File..." button, point it at your downloaded STEP Core, then STEP Extended, then STEP Extended (Finalize) files from step 2.  They need to be in that order.  If you make a mistake, there are Delete buttons on the left.
  5. Point the Download Folder at the place where you have all your downloaded mod files (e.g., a ModOrganizer\downloads folder).
  6. Point the Output Folder at an empty folder where all the goods will go.  Make sure you're reasonably happy with the name and location, because you won't quite be able to move it without rerunning the process.
  7. Assuming Skyrim and a 32-bit JRE or JDK are both installed properly with the registry tweaks their respective installers set up, you should be able to leave the Steam Folder and x86 Java Bin Folder blank.
  8. Click OK, and let it run.

If it pops you up that "missing.html" file (hopefully in your web browser), it's telling you that you're missing some mod files; go through the table and download the files it tells you to download one-by-one from their links, then clean up your output folder (delete the "missing.html" file) and repeat steps 3 thru 8 when you've got them all.  I tried to make sure to give descriptions of each file that are specific enough that you should be able to figure out exactly which file to download when there are multiple seemingly valid choices.

Once it completes successfully, fix up the "MEMORY" section of enblocal.ini in your Skyrim install folder according to the instructions on the ENBoost page on the STEP wiki.

Edited by airbreather, 15 November 2016 - 07:46 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users