sheson

Dragon Prince

• Mod Authors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,604 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 08:15 AM

POPULAR

Update March 10, 2017

DynDOLOD 2.22 supports Skyrim SE - as beta for experienced users. See the update post and the included docs\DynDOLOD_Manual_SSE.html

Skyrim Special Edition

The static LOD BTO format changed a bit.

It may be possible to use the tree and static files created in the old format, but I do not recommend it at this point as they might be missing out new features and are twice the file size than the new format.

It won't be long until an update for DynDOLOD/TES5LODGen is available and you will be able to create static object and tree LOD that can be just dropped into any existing save game without a problem. Static object and tree LOD is only meshes and textures and only requires some simple updates to base records in the esp.

Obviously the dynamic LOD that requires SKSE, PapyrusUtil is an entirely different matter. But I plan for a substitute generation in the way like SkyFalls/Mills did it until the required plugins become available.

Edited by sheson, 10 March 2017 - 05:32 PM.

#2 sheson

sheson

Dragon Prince

• Mod Authors
  • 2,604 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 09:30 PM

POPULAR

So this is new:

Good old Skyrim, everything past the loaded cells is LOD, maybe neverfade here or there
59721-0-1477621005.jpg

Skyrim Special Edition has a new option called Large Object Distance in the launcher settings. It can be found in SkyrimPrefs.ini under
[General]
uLargeRefLODGridSize=11

First picture is 11 cells which is the max setting from the launcher. Second picture is 21 cells.

59721-1-1477621005.jpg59721-2-1477621005.jpg

Any reference that is bigger than a certain size (game setting fLargeRefMinSize = 512) will be put into this superimposed Grid as full model.

The size setting relates to the bounding box (OBND data) of the object. For now it seems for a reference to be considered large that either all 3 sides need to be >= fLargeRefMinSize each, or any one side needs to be >= 2 * fLargeRefMinSize.
It seems it is generally a bad idea to change OBND data of existing objects as this causes inconsistencies, which result in both LOD and full models being loaded at them same time which causes texture z-fighting.

The static object LOD BTO has a matching setting so it knows which static LOD objects it needs to disable because they are in this grid.

It is yet unknown if trees can be added to this. Once the size threshold is fully understood, it would be desirable to have better control (through flags for example) which objects are assigned to his new grid. Testing is still being done.

Edited by sheson, 10 March 2017 - 11:29 AM.

#3 snares

snares

Prisoner

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 30 October 2016 - 10:29 AM

This glitch happened to me earlier, just thought you might be interested, since it is LOD related: http://imgur.com/a/JD2NL

It is basically the LOD not unloading. It flickered on and off depending on view angle, giving the whole thing a strobe like effect while moving the mouse. Load order was just Arthmoors SSE mods. No need to troubleshoot, i could not replicate this on several new saves.

Edited by snares, 30 October 2016 - 10:29 AM.

#4 sheson

sheson

Dragon Prince

• Mod Authors
  • 2,604 posts

Posted 30 October 2016 - 11:31 AM

First images is Skyrim as it were. Second image is Skyrim Special Edition. Third image is Skyrim Special Edition static object LOD generated by SSELODGen.

59721-2-1477844663.jpg59721-0-1477844664.jpg59721-1-1477844663.jpg

If you have keen eyes you can notice that the far away terrain is lower in SSE compared to Skyrim, exposing the base of optimized static LOD objects that have triangles under the surface removed. I suppose this helps a bit to counter z-fighting and is only really obvious when you compare between Skyrim and SSE.

LODGen.exe used by SSELODGen and DynDOLOD will try to mitigate by lowering the cut-off height just a bit when optimizing the static object LOD.

Edited by sheson, 30 October 2016 - 11:35 AM.

#5 Greg

Greg

Dragonborn

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts

Posted 30 October 2016 - 02:47 PM

Is it my imagination or has the mountain in the lower right changed positions in Skyrim Special Edition?

#6 sheson

sheson

Dragon Prince

• Mod Authors
  • 2,604 posts

Posted 30 October 2016 - 03:13 PM

Is it my imagination or has the mountain in the lower right changed positions in Skyrim Special Edition?

I tried to be at the exact same position by using player.getpos and player.setpos but yes, somehow north/south y value did not seen to match. Maybe I am not able to read my hand writing... Anyhow, I know the peak where to stand. Also FOV is different I think.

#7 Kesta

Kesta

Thane

• Mod Authors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 30 October 2016 - 03:21 PM

Yeah, more an FoV issue than a position one.

About what @snares pointed out, this have been encountered/confirmed by multiple people, including me and Alternity. Probably going to pull off a post on Beth thread on the subject after some more investigations, and maybe try to generate enough community attention like with the sound issue to get them to fix it.

Edited by Kesta, 30 October 2016 - 03:25 PM.

#8 sheson

sheson

Dragon Prince

• Mod Authors
  • 2,604 posts

Posted 02 November 2016 - 04:30 PM

Looks like it can do trees. Still some ways to go though. And a bug that needs fixing.

Edited by sheson, 02 November 2016 - 05:20 PM.

#9 sheson

sheson

Dragon Prince

• Mod Authors
  • 2,604 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 03:18 PM

POPULAR

Decoded all the large reference data in the plugins and verified how it works and how to create additional data. It is currently limited to ESM plugins only and breaks in regards to existing static LOD (texture flicker) for the cell as soon as an esp overwrites a large reference. A patcher can deal with all that, however in conjunction with current CK which can not create this data and other issue we consider this to be a bug that should be fixed first. We will see how that goes.

In the meantime, static + tree LOD generation is almost complete for first beta tests within a few days. Watch this space for updates :)

Edited by sheson, 06 November 2016 - 03:20 PM.

#10 Nebulous112

Nebulous112

High King

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,437 posts

Posted 20 November 2016 - 09:36 PM

Hey Sheson,

Any word from Bethesda regarding the mentioned bugs? Have they been officially acknowledged?

Is there a thread on the Bethesda forums relating to this that we can post on to show support for them fixing these issues? I am worried they are about to stop patching SSE, and I am hoping the community can provide a slight push to maybe help convince them it is worth the time to fix this issue.

Thanks

#11 sheson

sheson

Dragon Prince

• Mod Authors
  • 2,604 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 07:30 AM

Nope, we got no reply yet to our complex report. I will create a thread on their forum. Just about the most pressing problem with the differences between esm/esp.

#12 sheson

sheson

Dragon Prince

• Mod Authors
  • 2,604 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 11:46 AM

Post on Bethesda.net. It also contains a link to a download which explains things in more detail.

#13 Abendaron

Abendaron

Prisoner

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 03:26 PM

Hi,

I am allowing myself to post here, even if it is not directly related to DynDOLOD (If I am wrong, don't hesitate to delete, sorry for that).

I've read the article in the link you posted. I noticed a same issue in my game, so I'm glad you managed to find the reason. Thanks for finding where Bethesda was wrong... again :)

I encountered a -very- strange issue, and I was wondering if there is a possible "logical" explanation about it or if someone else have the same issue. I will try to be as precise as I can.

The bug I noticed is a problem in which Lods models do not disappear after some specific fast travel.
(http://img11.hosting...creenShot59.jpg).

- It look like it appears only when I fast-travel on a long distance.

When I was trying to understand the problem I used to fast-travel from Volkihar Castle to Honningbrew Meadery.

- I used a 100% clean save on third person view (right after the helgen exit I fast travel to Volkihar Castle and started the tests), My data directory only had the original Skyrim SE bsa and the 5 original esm nothing else.

- "clean save" will refer to the save I made at Volkihar Castle and "autosave" will refer to the save which is automatically done just before a fast travel. I close Skyrim after each fast travel to be sure nothing are stored in cache or anything.

---

- First case:

- Load the clean save, (in third person view so), fast travel from Volkihar Castle to Honningbrew Meadery : No problem

- Close Skyrim, Load the autosave (still in third person view), fast travel from Volkihar Castle to Honningbrew Meadery : No problem

--

- Second case:

- Load the clean save, change to first person view, fast travel from Volkihar Castle to Honningbrew Meadery : No problem

- Close Skyrim, Load the autosave (in first person view so), fast travel from Volkihar Castle to Honningbrew Meadery : problem happen (as in the picture).

--

Needless to say I had to restart my game dozens of time to find out it is the first person view which actually cause this problem.

I can see no way in which this is related, for me there is absolutely no reason changing view can have an impact on how Lods are managed, maybe I missed something...

I also find it very strange the problem only occurs when I load the "autosave".

Moreover I tried with all my mods/Meshes/Script etc. in the data folder and this didn't changed the problem (first person view = problem, Third person view = fine).

I obviously don't expect for a fix or anything, I was just curious if you or someone have an idea about what could cause this problem since I can't see any logic with it...

Thanks for taking the time to read it!

Regards,

Abendaron

Edited by Abendaron, 22 November 2016 - 03:37 PM.

#14 sheson

sheson

Dragon Prince

• Mod Authors
  • 2,604 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 05:39 PM

I guess the questions is if there is any relationship between the fast travel LOD not unloading problem or not. A similar problem exists in Skyrim, but just with LOD water not unloading and it only happens when auto save for fast travel is turned off. Looks like the problem is different in Skyrim SE now.

You should try to figure out if any mod changes any of the large objects in that cell. What I would do is, turn off all LOD with tll in console, then toggle clipping so you can go up and watch better from top with tcl and then walk backwards away from that area until the cell unloads. Whatever objects still show now are the large references. Click one by one and note their form ids and look them up in SSEEdit.exe. If a single one of them is changed by a mod there might be a connection.

Edited by sheson, 22 November 2016 - 05:40 PM.

#15 Abendaron

Abendaron

Prisoner

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 06:58 PM

Thank you very much for your reply and your suggestion.

I will try to check it tomorrow in SSEEDIT and hopefully find where the problem is :)

First I also thought it was due to a mod (same kind of issue happened to me in the old Skyrim when I generated Lods with DynDOLOD with a bad load order for example).

For this reason I did a clean reinstall without installing any mods and tried on a clean savegame to avoid any problem related to mods (Sorry if I wasn't very precise on it, I sometime had difficulties to completely express myself in a correct English).

But unfortunately this didn't fixed this issue. Except if I did something wrong (totally possible) I think the problem exist in Vanilla Skyrim SE.

I tried again this time with all my mods since I thought that maybe unofficial patch could fix this issue, without any noticeable change.

I discussed a bit with Wazel974 from Nexus, and we found out we have the same problem in the same condition (only when fast traveling in first person view, not in third person view).

Anyway, I didn't though to look in xEdit to have more detailed info and I will try what you suggested.

Cheers.

Edited by Abendaron, 22 November 2016 - 07:00 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dyndolod, lod, special, edition, sse

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users