• Please log in to reply
247 replies to this topic

#241 Shad0wlife

Shad0wlife

Prisoner

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 03:57 PM

Hmm. I put my clutter reduced mesh files into meshes\DynDOLOD\lod\trees but the generated Lod is still the same size even if some meshes were reduced to below half their file size (and probably even more in poly count)...

I didn't do the crc32 and passthru stuff since i mostly followed the "Create Static Tree Meshes Manually" Tutorial which just says "Save the updated empty_lod.nif as [original filename of full model tree]_lod.nif", so I saved my files as treeaspen01_lod.nif for example.

Or is the issue that I simply used the original file and deleted unneeded parts from the mesh instead of pasting into the "emptypassthru_lod.nif" file (there's no "empty_lod.nef" file as in the tutorial), because the pasted BSTriShapes became invisible (maybe a problem when copy pasting from a BSLeafAnimNode to a BSFadeNode? If so, how would I avoid that?)

Or is it that I did not save or use any dedicated lod textures in the textures\lod folder?

BTW, the highest poly count with the full models that I saw for a cell on a quick glance was 5,081,285 triangles. I guess that counts as "not considered usable anymore", right? xD

#242 sheson

sheson

Dragon King

• Mod Authors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,008 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 01:07 AM

Hmm. I put my clutter reduced mesh files into meshes\DynDOLOD\lod\trees but the generated Lod is still the same size even if some meshes were reduced to below half their file size (and probably even more in poly count)...

I didn't do the crc32 and passthru stuff since i mostly followed the "Create Static Tree Meshes Manually" Tutorial which just says "Save the updated empty_lod.nif as [original filename of full model tree]_lod.nif", so I saved my files as treeaspen01_lod.nif for example.

Or is the issue that I simply used the original file and deleted unneeded parts from the mesh instead of pasting into the "emptypassthru_lod.nif" file (there's no "empty_lod.nef" file as in the tutorial), because the pasted BSTriShapes became invisible (maybe a problem when copy pasting from a BSLeafAnimNode to a BSFadeNode? If so, how would I avoid that?)

Or is it that I did not save or use any dedicated lod textures in the textures\lod folder?

BTW, the highest poly count with the full models that I saw for a cell on a quick glance was 5,081,285 triangles. I guess that counts as "not considered usable anymore", right? xD

Use the CRC32 in the filename to ensure the correct LOD nif is used for the tree. Check the DynDOLOD log for which LOD nif is used for LOD4.

It does not matter how the nif was made as long as the contents of the final is the same. When copy pasting also copy paste the Shader and TextureSets.

In any case if you just copy and paste the hi-poly leafs from the full model there is not really any decimation done, which is what 3D LOD for these trees would require.

#243 Shad0wlife

Shad0wlife

Prisoner

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 12:04 PM

Yeah, I know that using the high poly leaves will keep the file size up, but I wanted to reduce the poly count at least a bit, so I removed all the branches which are not part of the trunk model, and also removed all the high poly snow and instead created a bit snowy textures. That doesn't make the models proper LQ Lod models, but at least I reduced them in size by 20 to 60%, which hopefully SOMEWHAT helps with the LOD size.

Ok, so if the meshes have the name modelname_CRC32_lod.nif, is that enough or does it have to be modlename_CRC32passthru_lod.nif?

The trees do not even seem to search for lods:

TreePineForest01 [TREE:0001306D] meshes\landscape\trees\treepineforest01.nif
	Billboard found, replaced tree, 3D LOD found
	LOD4: meshes\landscape\trees\treepineforest01.nif

While the fern and so on seem to be handled as trees and get loaded as their full models:

TreeFloraSnowberry01Snow "Snowberry" [TREE:000BCF34] meshes\plants\florasnowberry01snow.nif, new tree, 3D LOD not found <florasnowberry01snow_e8ee0773> fallback Full Model
	LOD4: meshes\plants\florasnowberry01snow.nif

So I guess that not only the full tree models get used (it didn't even say that it hasn't found 3D lod) and that all the plants like fern and bushes get a fallback to the full model too...

I'll try adding the CRC to the (a little bit) reduced meshes and see if that helps finding them...

#244 Shad0wlife

Shad0wlife

Prisoner

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 12:50 PM

Ok, I have now disabled the fallback and put the tree meshes with the passthru and CRC32 name in the correct place. And even though they should "only" have up to 4 times as many triangles as the EVT hybrid trees, some cells have 10x as many triangles while other only have 1.5 times as many... I'll take a closer look at that ingame I guess...

#245 Barthanes

Barthanes

Prisoner

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 05:47 PM

I'm having a problem with Dyndolod and Vigilant mod. I'm currently using Lexy's LOTD-SE build. I get CTD's whenever I approach the Temple of Stendar temple outside of Dawnstar. At first I thought it was some conflict with Helarchen Creek mod. You can't even see the temple as you approach with Dyndolod installed. If Dyndolod.esp is disabled however, everything works fine. Thing is I checked the log as Dyndolod was building & it says it is ignoring Vigilant.esp & Vigilant-voiced.esp. Vigilant isn't listed as a master in the completed Dyndolod-esp file either. I can't find out why this happeing.

#246 sheson

sheson

Dragon King

• Mod Authors
  • 3,008 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 04:26 AM

Ok, I have now disabled the fallback and put the tree meshes with the passthru and CRC32 name in the correct place. And even though they should "only" have up to 4 times as many triangles as the EVT hybrid trees, some cells have 10x as many triangles while other only have 1.5 times as many... I'll take a closer look at that ingame I guess...

The different tree models are not used equally. Identify the trees that are used the most, and reduce their triangle count first.

I'm having a problem with Dyndolod and Vigilant mod. I'm currently using Lexy's LOTD-SE build. I get CTD's whenever I approach the Temple of Stendar temple outside of Dawnstar. At first I thought it was some conflict with Helarchen Creek mod. You can't even see the temple as you approach with Dyndolod installed. If Dyndolod.esp is disabled however, everything works fine. Thing is I checked the log as Dyndolod was building & it says it is ignoring Vigilant.esp & Vigilant-voiced.esp. Vigilant isn't listed as a master in the completed Dyndolod-esp file either. I can't find out why this happeing.

You could try generating LOD without the mod in the load order.

See the latest version of DynDOLOD-README.txt  for checking if a missing or invalid nif model used for dynamic LOD is the cause.

#247 Shad0wlife

Shad0wlife

Prisoner

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 07:42 AM

Ok, so I browsed around https://srmap.uesp.net/ for a bit and searched for a pattern... seems like:

Pine tree intensive areas are x4 to x4.5 the poly count vs EVT

and

Aspen tree intensive areas are x10 or more.

Guess I found the big problem.

Aspens have more fancy trunks that cause tons of polys, while the pines have simple trunks but higher poly branches which I could remove for the lod...

So

Step 1: How to make the Billboard trunks?

Step 2: Add billboard trunks to the models

Step 3: (a little bit of) profit...

I'm actually trying to see if I can piece together Lod meshes for S3D Trees from the other lod meshes by scaling the needles and stacking them onto each other so they result in about the same outline as the S3D Needles... But if the Aspens are the major problem, then that won't really help that much...

#248 sheson

sheson

Dragon King

• Mod Authors
  • 3,008 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 08:19 AM

Ok, so I browsed around https://srmap.uesp.net/ for a bit and searched for a pattern... seems like:

Pine tree intensive areas are x4 to x4.5 the poly count vs EVT

and

Aspen tree intensive areas are x10 or more.

Guess I found the big problem.

Aspens have more fancy trunks that cause tons of polys, while the pines have simple trunks but higher poly branches which I could remove for the lod...

So

Step 1: How to make the Billboard trunks?

Step 2: Add billboard trunks to the models

Step 3: (a little bit of) profit...

I'm actually trying to see if I can piece together Lod meshes for S3D Trees from the other lod meshes by scaling the needles and stacking them onto each other so they result in about the same outline as the S3D Needles... But if the Aspens are the major problem, then that won't really help that much...

You make billboard trunks just like you would make billboard for trees, just disable/remove the leafs first. If they match, use the billboard trunks from already existing hybrid LOD trees included in DynDOLOD Resources or other tree mods with 3D tree LOD support.

You probably should combine/discuss your efforts with mathy79.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dyndolod, lod, special, edition, sse

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users