Performance - [SOLVED]

Kingdestiny

Question

6 answers to this question

Textures aren't going to affect your FPS that much as long as your VRAM isn't maxed out. Screen resolution and game settings is what is going to affect FPS the most. If you're running an ENB, you can disable a few features for that small of a boost. SSAO, DOF, and detailed shadows are the big performance hitters there. If not, then try adjusting your video card/game settings to get that small of a performance boost. I'm finding a lot of new modders are trying to push their cards too far and are expecting excellent performance when maxing out the settings. In reality, their card simply isn't built to run Skyrim on maxed out settings, especially on high screen resolutions. AA and AO are two of the biggest performance hitters in your card settings.

As far as game boosters, ATTK is for stability: https://forum.step-project.com/showthread.php?tid=1220

HiAlgoBoost might help: https://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/15123

OH! Stuttering! :facepalm: Well, why didn't you say so? :P

Yeah, that's is more likely a VRAM issue. Stuttering happens most when your run out of VRAM and the card is switching out textures with system RAM which is much slower. That's just a simple explanation. I only have 1GB VRAM too, but I still have all the STEP mods installed. Just make sure you're conservative on the texture resolutions you use. I never go over 2048x resolutions and always pick the 1024x textures where available. This keeps my stuttering issues away. People with only 1GB of VRAM, but want a full STEP install can't always follow the recommendations on the Guide when it comes to texture resolutions. Use your best judgment. If you don't wish to use lower texture resolutions, you might try HiAlgoBoost. It's crude programing according to the author of ATTK, but it also works.

So...Try using switching to lower resolution textures first and if that doesn't help try using DDSopt on your textures to reduce size and performance of the textures. Finally, if neither of those work try HiAlgoBoost before deciding to uninstall anything.

Ya I also used every single STEP mod. I also choose the lowest resolutions this time as well. Because I've gone overboard in the past. And honestly its completely fine when looking straight ahead. Its when i start spinning the camera that I just get stutters the entire turn. Or when I'm using my fire spells. Which is probably due to HD fire. I thought of using DDSopt but I saw a few mod users comment about how it breaks their mod if you use it. Since you did the full STEP install. Can you comment as to which you ran DDSopt on? Did you have to use it to get your card to run the game?

Ya I also used every single STEP mod. I also choose the lowest resolutions this time as well. Because I've gone overboard in the past. And honestly its completely fine when looking straight ahead. Its when i start spinning the camera that I just get stutters the entire turn. Or when I'm using my fire spells. Which is probably due to HD fire. I thought of using DDSopt but I saw a few mod users comment about how it breaks their mod if you use it. Since you did the full STEP install. Can you comment as to which you ran DDSopt on? Did you have to use it to get your card to run the game?

I only ran it on the vanilla textures and Hi Res DLC textures. The rest I haven't touched until more testing is done on which mods to use DDSopt on and which not to use it on. The newest release also has some issues that need to be sorted out as it's causing some optimized textures to display as black. HiAlgoBoost does just what you need though. It smooths out the game while turning, running, and while in combat. Since you've done everything else that I've suggested, I'm all out of ideas besides you testing out HiAlgoBoost. Maybe the other admins or users will have another idea.