STEP guide for TESV: Skyrim Special Edition

skyrim

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#31 TechAngel85

TechAngel85

Akatosh

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,874 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 08:22 AM

I've been going through the SSE list (http://wiki.step-pro...Special_Edition) and under 2K Clutter and Miscellaneous, "Ruins Clutter Improved" completely overwrites everything provided by "LeanWolf's Improved Enchanter Candle Meshes SE", if of course the mods are installed in the order that they are listed.

Since Ruins Clutter Improved was originally part of the STEP Compilation download, my guess is that it's inclusion was curated to not include some meshes that LeanWolf's mod also includes, thus no specific instructions on which files win conflicts.

Correct, if you use that list you'll have to guess as to the intention of the installs since no instructions are provided.

#32 sbroadbent

sbroadbent

Prisoner

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 11:10 PM

Correct, if you use that list you'll have to guess as to the intention of the installs since no instructions are provided.

I've attempted to dig through the forums to see if there was any discussion on these two mods in particular.  Found one 4 page thread relating to Ruins Clutter Improved, and while there was discussion about other mod conflicts, nothing about the enchanting candles.  Leanwolf's SE version of the mod contains 6 meshes, including one for loading screen art.

Having downloaded the STEP Compilation for original skyrim and compared it to LeanWolf's Enchanting Candles (also downloaded the original Skyrim version), it appears that the only thing that Ruins Clutter Improved overwrites is the loading screen art, in particular "loadscreenenchantingworkbench.nif".  For this reason, I'd suggest on the STEP SE list to list LeanWolf's mod after Ruins Clutter Improved (and perhaps make a note of it).

#33 TechAngel85

TechAngel85

Akatosh

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,874 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 11:29 PM

I've attempted to dig through the forums to see if there was any discussion on these two mods in particular.  Found one 4 page thread relating to Ruins Clutter Improved, and while there was discussion about other mod conflicts, nothing about the enchanting candles.  Leanwolf's SE version of the mod contains 6 meshes, including one for loading screen art.

Having downloaded the STEP Compilation for original skyrim and compared it to LeanWolf's Enchanting Candles (also downloaded the original Skyrim version), it appears that the only thing that Ruins Clutter Improved overwrites is the loading screen art, in particular "loadscreenenchantingworkbench.nif".  For this reason, I'd suggest on the STEP SE list to list LeanWolf's mod after Ruins Clutter Improved (and perhaps make a note of it).

You mistake this list of mods as a guide. It's is not a guide. Currently, it should only be considered a list of STEP mods that have been converted to SSE; nothing more, nothing less. This is why I said in my previous reply that if you use this "list", you're going to have to guess as to the intention of how the mods are installed, ordered, etc.

I've provided a patch at the bottom only for those wanting a STEP-like install on SSE, but do not have the knowledge to make a conflict resolution patch of their own. Anyone using this patch should follow the directions given on the page. This patch is only for the plugins, and has nothing to do with the install order of the mods, though they are generally in the correct order bar a few as you have noticed. However, this will not hold true once we release STEP 3.0 as the structure of the guide will be changing.

But...as you can see from the number of missing mods, this list is far from being ready to be put into a guide format. I happen to be running this list of mods using WB right now. There are a few issues here and there, but it's mainly stable for those with the know-how to install the mods on their own. You seem to be able to do this, so I'll leave you to it. :^_^:

#34 sbroadbent

sbroadbent

Prisoner

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 06:23 AM

I'm aware the list is not a guide.  The reason for my suggestion was that it'd be useful information for the next person who might come across such a question to know.

With it being past the 6 month point, and still many mods from the original STEP not yet ported over, and as many are listed as no word so far from the mod author, will there be a point at which a guide for SSE will be formally started?  How many mods need to be converted over before work on an SSE guide begins?

Until then would it be better for us to consult a list like the Skyrim SEPTIM which is a kind of what STEP does for SSE: http://www.nexusmods...ion/mods/2846/?

#35 TechAngel85

TechAngel85

Akatosh

• Administrators
  • 11,874 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 08:27 AM

I'm aware the list is not a guide.  The reason for my suggestion was that it'd be useful information for the next person who might come across such a question to know.

With it being past the 6 month point, and still many mods from the original STEP not yet ported over, and as many are listed as no word so far from the mod author, will there be a point at which a guide for SSE will be formally started?  How many mods need to be converted over before work on an SSE guide begins?

Until then would it be better for us to consult a list like the Skyrim SEPTIM which is a kind of what STEP does for SSE: http://www.nexusmods...ion/mods/2846/?

It will likely come sometime after STEP 3.0 is released in the next several months. As for that guide, I know nothing about it, so I can't speak of it.

#36 Eliian

Eliian

Commander

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 08:05 PM

Just a heads up. IHSS - Improved Horse Step Sounds is accidentally listed twice if I am not mistaken. It is under "These mods have plugins that should be converted:" when it already has been. That and TRUE BROWS SE was removed from the nexus.

Also, I have been wondering about STEPS traditional stance of 2k-1k textures. I always loved how the guide tells me if there are higher or lower versions so maybe what I am proposing is not necessary.

With many textures in the game being 2k now would it be wise to maybe have larger items or landscape be recommended as 4k? With SSE being more stable and having a higher memory limit and all that. Higher vram graphics cards getting cheaper and cheaper too... I am mostly thinking of things like the GIANT mod and the fact that Vanilla Vegetation Overhaul has 4k textures and is being considered.

#37 TechAngel85

TechAngel85

Akatosh

• Administrators
  • 11,874 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 08:48 PM

Texture size has always and will always be an option to be chosen by the user. Our baseline is the game's assets resolutions. If vanilla is 2K, then we recommend 2K, if it's 1K, then we recommend 1K for that item, etc. etc. There are some 4K textures in vanilla, but not many. Users who have the extra power with higher limits can certainly run all the 4K textures they want. With that said, I'm running my own optimized version of Skyrim Realistic Overhaul that has been reduced to mainly 2K textures. I can say there isn't much that I would like more detail on to warrant moving up to 4K. Most of the landscape texture are still very, very good at 2K. I still often find myself stopping to look at just how good some of these textures look, actually.

#38 Eliian

Eliian

Commander

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 02:06 PM

I agree! The game still looks great at 2k. That is what I am trying now. This is especially true after having to play with mostly 1k when I had my old system. Hopefully we can get permission to have a downloaded version of SRO 2k when a guide is released. That or just instructions on optimizing as per usual.

Edited by Eliian, 03 May 2017 - 02:07 PM.

#39 Eliian

Eliian

Commander

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 08:10 PM

There is a weird conflict between Vanilla Vegetation Overhaul and any mod that removes small rocks from the game. VVO has it's own meshes that add small rocks. They are the same as the ones in the vanilla game, but with different names making said small rock mods not overwrite the meshes.  So when using mods that remove small rocks nothing seems to happen. Just remove the meshes p_riverbedpebbles, p_smallpebbles and p_smallpebbles_snow from VVO. :)

Edited by Eliian, 17 May 2017 - 08:15 PM.

#40 TechAngel85

TechAngel85

Akatosh

• Administrators
  • 11,874 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 10:04 AM

I've updated the Project reference (link in the OP) for the latest release of the STEP Guide.

#41 Valtarien

Valtarien

Prisoner

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 07:56 AM

There are certain omissions relating to the Skyrim original STEP guide. I realize that many (all?) of these are intentional, but it would be useful to those following the SSE guide to at least get notification of all mods/utilities that are not needed or are incompatible and as to why. I see that many notes have been made to this effect, but what about certain others, such as FileAccess Interface for Skyrim Script (FISS)?

Also, some mention as to recommended cleaning and other maintenance would be beneficial, where omitted.

#42 TechAngel85

TechAngel85

Akatosh

• Administrators
  • 11,874 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 09:15 AM

There are certain omissions relating to the Skyrim original STEP guide. I realize that many (all?) of these are intentional, but it would be useful to those following the SSE guide to at least get notification of all mods/utilities that are not needed or are incompatible and as to why. I see that many notes have been made to this effect, but what about certain others, such as FileAccess Interface for Skyrim Script (FISS)?

Also, some mention as to recommended cleaning and other maintenance would be beneficial, where omitted.

I'm just simply going to quote the OP here:

For now, this is just provided as reference. If you decide to follow this reference, you'll be on your own: http://wiki.step-pro...Special_Edition 
- Tech

In short, it's not a guide. It's a reference for the Staff. Users can see and use it, if they desire.

#43 Valtarien

Valtarien

Prisoner

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 09:33 AM

I'm just simply going to quote the OP here:

In short, it's not a guide. It's a reference for the Staff. Users can see and use it, if they desire.

Okay, well thanks, but I did read that already. I just figured that since guidance exists for many other items in STEP, that the intention was to fill it out completely. I guess I was wrong in my assumption. Sorry for trying to make suggestions.

#44 TechAngel85

TechAngel85

Akatosh

• Administrators
  • 11,874 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 09:49 AM

Okay, well thanks, but I did read that already. I just figured that since guidance exists for many other items in STEP, that the intention was to fill it out completely. I guess I was wrong in my assumption. Sorry for trying to make suggestions.

Suggestions are always welcome! In this case though, it's been put out there many times on the forums that we'll not be doing an official SSE Guide anytime soon. Probably not until we're done with the STEP 3.0 work, which is ongoing. I am, personally, putting something together for those users who want to get a taste of SSE; however, it will not be for the everyday user because I don't do a lot hand-holding when I put personal guides together. I'm hoping to be done with it within the next couple weeks.

#45 Valtarien

Valtarien

Prisoner

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 10:50 AM

I understand. Thanks for clarifying on that point. I do have modding experience, but there are a few items that give me pause and wonder if there are those who already know an answer to some of the more prickly issues. I'll treat it as intended, and use my best judgement, trial and error, and such.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users