STEP Instructions - XP32 Max Skele - FNIS - Dual Sheath Redux

batesman

First - a BIG thank you to the community for the STEP guide! I appreciate the hard work, effort and commitment it takes to put something like this together.

I'm following the step guide and have reached the end of 2.D where XP32 Maximum Skeleton is installed. In the detailed instructions of that mod it says, "Remember to run FNIS after installing all mods."

I click on the FNIS link to read more about it. On that page it says, "Users only need to run this mod if also using the Maximum Skeleton, or other mods that support/require it. For STEP, this applies to Dual Sheath Redux, which is listed in the Patches section of the Guide. Disregard this mod if Dual Sheath Redux was not installed."

So I go to the Dual Sheath Redux install instructions and there is no mention of FNIS.

My question: What is the proper order to run FNIS? Once? Twice? Nonece?

Thanks!

Thank you very much!

Suggestions:

In the XP32 Maximum Skeleton detailed instructions, remove the reference to FNIS. Or modify it to say "FNIS is required for this mod to work. It will be set up later in the guide." IF the FNIS reference is edited and not removed, then the same messaging should be added to Dual Sheath Redux for consistency.

On the FNIS detailed instructions, change the wording to "Users need to run this mod if using Maximum SkeletonDual Sheath Redux, or other mods that support/require it. Otherwise, disregard this mod."

Thanks for the info!

Speaking of the Extended Version, that is the route I'm going for this setup. Following the guide, I don't see a specific point where I'm supposed to install the STEP Extended patch - even though it is referenced several times in the guide.

Before attempting this setup, I read through the guide twice and have done a keyword search as well. Is it hiding in the detailed instructions somewhere? Possibly in the bashed patch section?

Sweet! Thanks.

I'm sure that after I go through this I will be more comfortable the next time round. As a first timer, the guide is quite intimidating and I'm fearful that I'll screw something up along the way, have to start over, and lose allllll that time. :)

I appreciate your assistance very much!

Take your time and test the game after completing each section. I now from my own blundering experience that it's a lot easier to determine what I did wrong when I take small steps and test often.

Listen to him! (Even if I never tested and only started a save after I had everything installed! Yes I'm crazy, but did not mess up, maybe because I am weird and read almsot everything twice just to make sure I did not forget something :woot: :confused:) 

Edited by Zorkha

::D:  Uh....That's how I've done it too. I think I'm about to run into some hard life lessons though.

I'm at the point of bashed patch creation and the instructions say to "enable all plugins", but does that include the dummy plugins as well? My guess is no.

Edited by batesman

Well, I'm going to start over from scratch now that I've learned a few things and gone through the setup once.

I had a CTD during character creation so I figure something's out of whack. :)  That's Ok because I consider this first pass a learning process.

On another note, there are many instances where we download and install a main file, then an optional file for the same mod. Or a mod with multiple parts (like Book of Silence). Is it advisable to merge or to keep everything separate?

Having gone through this process - I have to say that I'm in slight awe of what it took to pull this guide together. 

It's an either or on the merge or keep everything separated.

If you prefer the more fine control of seeing everything laid out for you, keep them separate. The Pro is you can see everything you've installed and know if you've missed apatch etc. The Con is the left pane is longer.

if you prefer a less cluttered left pane, Merge them.

It'll work either way. (Though if you do decide on merging them, I'd still advised keeping the aMidianBorn stuff separate. Just to make some of the changes you make after installation easier)

After completing my second STEP setup, everything is working fine so far with one small exception. The snow on the mountains is...grainy? Pixelated? It's as if the texture isn't being properly applied. I did search the forums, but didn't see anything quite like this. It's most evident on the hill above the tree.

Thoughts?

9HfpgbL.jpg

Edited by batesman