STEP: 2.2.1 Error

Prophes0r

The STEP: 2.2.1 WIP has an error.

iBlurDeferredShadowMask=2

Valid values range from 0 - 7. Lower values will sharpen shadows (not the resolution), making vegetation more "vibrant." It gives a subtle increase in performance, but also gives more pixelated and striping effects to shadows. Higher values will make shadows softer and more blurred. Consider a value of zero if using ENB.

Any value LESS than 3 causes massive artifacting in shadows.  Even 3 has some, but it is slight, and tolerable (to me).  ENB suggests 3-5.  Higher values cause significant performance reduction though.  So the lowest value you can handle should be used.

The STEP: 2.2.1 WIP has an error.

iBlurDeferredShadowMask=2

Valid values range from 0 - 7. Lower values will sharpen shadows (not the resolution), making vegetation more "vibrant." It gives a subtle increase in performance, but also gives more pixelated and striping effects to shadows. Higher values will make shadows softer and more blurred. Consider a value of zero if using ENB.

Any value LESS than 3 causes massive artifacting in shadows.  Even 3 has some, but it is slight, and tolerable (to me).  ENB suggests 3-5.  Higher values cause significant performance reduction though.  So the lowest value you can handle should be used.

Can you point to your references?

The past recommended setting has always been 2 with no reported issues for the past year now. Also, as it is described, it would seem that lowering the value to zero would be optimal for ENB configs.

I'd like to vet the best settings with real data if possible (others have indicated that this settings has no noticeable impact on performance).

He probably talks about shadow pixelation. The higher the value' date=' the more blurred the shadows become.[/quote']

That's correct. I wonder what the difference is with the latest ENB configs, such as Phinix Natural (ENB v132).

I'd be inclined to provide a proper comparison as soon as I get to reinstalling the mods this weekend (hopefully).

I would keep it were it's at (2) for the Guide. I, however, do not recommend putting it at 0 for ENBs. Doing this caused massive shadow striping in several ENBs when I was doing a lot of the ENB testing. I recently added a Shadow Striping Fix to the ENB Guide which deals with this. This fix is from my own experience and testing. Currently, I have mine set to 3 in my INI, which pretty much eliminated all striping from all ENBs during testing. I should also note that I lowered my fShadowDistance as well which helped with the striping. Currently I have that set to 2000.0000 (default is 2500).

I would keep it were it's at (2) for the Guide. I' date=' however, do not recommend putting it at 0 for ENBs. Doing this caused massive shadow striping in several ENBs when I was doing a lot of the ENB testing. I recently added a Shadow Striping Fix to the ENB Guide which deals with this. This fix is from my own experience and testing. Currently, I have mine set to 3 in my INI, which pretty much eliminated all striping from all ENBs during testing. I should also note that I lowered my fShadowDistance as well which helped with the striping. Currently I have that set to 2000.0000 (default is 2500).

Default fShadowDistance is 4000 on High and 8000 on Ultra.

I recommend leaving iBlurDeferredShadowMask=3 as that isn't causing issues either way and there's no need to tweak it.

I would keep it were it's at (2) for the Guide. I' date=' however, do not recommend putting it at 0 for ENBs. Doing this caused massive shadow striping in several ENBs when I was doing a lot of the ENB testing. I recently added a Shadow Striping Fix to the ENB Guide which deals with this. This fix is from my own experience and testing. Currently, I have mine set to 3 in my INI, which pretty much eliminated all striping from all ENBs during testing. I should also note that I lowered my fShadowDistance as well which helped with the striping. Currently I have that set to 2000.0000 (default is 2500).

I recommend leaving iBlurDeferredShadowMask=3 as that isn't causing issues either way and there's no need to tweak it.

Oh, didn't realized it changed with different settings. My default is 2500 from my fresh Skyrim install. iBlur...=2 or 3; both seem to work fine for vanilla. My default from my recent install is being set to 1 which is also working fine.

Oh, didn't realized it changed with different settings. My default is 2500 from my fresh Skyrim install. iBlur...=2 or 3; both seem to work fine for vanilla. My default from my recent install is being set to 1 which is also working fine.
I'm just suggesting leaving the iBlurDeferredShadowMask setting on default since messing around with INIs will only result in problems down the road for less experienced users (not suggesting that you're one of them, but STEP has to appeal to the general public).

I'm just suggesting leaving the iBlurDeferredShadowMask setting on default since messing around with INIs will only result in problems down the road for less experienced users (not suggesting that you're one of them, but STEP has to appeal to the general public).
I agree. It should be left on whatever that user's default is for the STEP installation. The only time I see it being useful in changing it is if the shadow striping occurs. If this happens with the installation of an ENB, I've covered that in the ENB Guide.