New Rig, New Challenges

PlukovnikPravda

Question

Have a new ASUS GL553VW x64 Quad core i7-6700 2.6GHz; 8GB ram (7.86 useable now), NVIDIA GeGTX960 GPU. Runs Windows 10 64b. I'm Using a Western Digital external SSD (2TB) on the USB-3 port to run my games and Steam.

My last used laptop was a Toshiba with an i3 and and HD integrated etcha-sketch GPU. It gave me awful crashes, mainly due to 0x00000c and a lot of memory issues, plus C++ whenever animations got to be too much. Corrupted graphics were pretty common. I still get CTDs. Mainly, I get UAC issues not letting me delete from the overwrite folder in MO because I don't have admin privileges (no, really, I do; I am the built-in admin).

Is it better to keep my setup on the SSD or partition the hard drive and install games there? I did that on an earlier rig, a Toshiba Satellite on Win7, and it ran all my games, including Skyrim STEP, well. Playable, if not dazzlingly wonderful.

Either way, I'd be starting from fresh, since I'm about to backup and then erase the SSD just because it's time to do it.

DISCLAIMER: The WD SSD failed a sector check, so it's possible the drive is broked and that's what's contributing to the CTD.

Ida thunk this wouldn't be a problem, since this is supposed to be a gaming laptop, but then again, I'm kind of a moron.

-The Colonel

7 answers to this question

I've been hearing that some of the earlier drives ~3+ years old have been failing which cause various oddities.

My system has been rock solid with some initial trouble which was definitely expected took about a week to troubleshoot and fix any issues, which is about how long I knew it was going to take.

To troubleshoot this, you'd need to isolate the system to a stable state and then introduce the components one at a time.

You can stress individual targeted components but this allows for some variables

External SSD is pretty gimpy IMHO, shouldn't waste your money on it.

At best you'll probably be getting half of the SSD's performance (200MB/s read), depending on your USB3.0 controller you may get even less (100MB/s read).  The same SSD hooked up directly to a SATA III port in the PC would get something like 400-500MB/s read.

If you're going to have an external drive you're better off using an HDD, as the speed of a HDD is much more comparable to the maximum speed of the USB3.0 interface.  My 2TB HDD has ~200MB/s read and 130MB/s write, which is right around what you can expect in terms of maximum bandwidth from the USB3.0 interface.

EDIT: Gaming laptops are always a waste of money IMO.  They're overpriced and run hot.  Unless you REALLY need the portability you're better off building a gaming desktop PC and then having a moderately-powerful laptop for portability.  Go for a smaller form factor if you don't want to carry a full ATX case to LAN parties.

EDIT 2: Regarding the UAC issues, it sounds like you need to disable UAC and take ownership of your mods folder.

Edited by Mator

The UAC issues can be solved by moving your steam installation out of the Program Files folder. None of the modding games or tools should be installed there. You'll only run into more and more issues as you mod.

This is better than my advice.  :)

Especially for W10.  I personally have been able to do some things in Program Files on W7, but I'm also a system administrator and programmer so I can fix problems when they happen.  ^_^

Edited by Mator

Thanks to everyone for their advice. As for the laptop, it's the only option right now. I will just partition C: and work from a separate drive for games. I am not now running any games from programs (learned that on STEP).

Disabling UAC: That is one solution I haven't tried. In theory, I own all the folders already.

In theory...