5 replies to this topic

#1 Thac0

Thac0

Prisoner

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:23 PM

Step Thunderbolt, according to frihyland on the nexusmods.com forums:

I am working on a separate project "STEP Thunderbolt" that will take care of custom STEP installations. Basically you drop it in your mod download folder and start it up, it will rename all the files in that directory by pulling data from nexus and the step website. It will repackage all mods into a nice bain friendly file and combine mods that have many different files into one.

When you open up WB or MO for the first time after doing this it will add all of them in the correct install order and with human readable names.

It will eventually be able to download required files that it does not find in the folder (and the latest updates of files it does find). These functions won't be limited to STEP either, eventually I'll add an editor interface where you can add your own custom repack/rename data for any mods you like.

Course this is a bit of a long term project so be patient...

Link

I've been working on Thunderbolt (the STEP installer) and learning Semantic Wiki (which is gonna be the backend for Thunderbolt) instead. I'm not gonna stop until I figure out a good system design...

Link

Thunderbolt automates many of the tedious aspects of installing STEP properly like repacking and renaming all mod archives after they have been unpacked, cleaned, and optimized by DDSopt and TES5Edit. It will sort through independent files and grab only the ones most optimal for a STEP install so you don't have to worry about following all the STEP installation directions and each mods installation directions, kinda like TPC but even easier. It won't be out for several months and after initial release features will be added gradually until it basically does everything for you, including downloading (although you probably still have to click each mod on nexus due to legal restrictions). You will still need to use WB or MO to actually install/uninstall and BOSS to order plugins, but the mods will show up in the correct STEP install order so you just have to click each mod in order to install STEP.

Link

Thunderbolt will eventually (in a year or 2) do much of the hard work for you but never all, the first incarnation of it will simply rename files to presort them into installation order and make them easily readable in Mod Organizer and Wrye Bash (Thunderbolt will never replace these utilities, or others like BOSS, TES5edit, DDSopt), its intended to fill in the gaps and make the installation process more seamless, nothing more.

Link

#2 Farlo

Farlo

Dragon Prince

• Site Founders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,677 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 12:58 AM

Thunderbolt's pretty much been on hold since Fri's been out of commission for the last few weeks. He was spearheading the project and progress will resume whenever he can return. There were a few really good posts he made on the Nexus forums about Thunderbolt, but that's about it. If you manage/care to find them, please repost them here :)

#3 Thac0

Thac0

Prisoner

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 02:39 AM

Found the posts and updated the OP. Had trouble locating anything about ACH on Nexus or the official Bethesda forums. Anyone able to suggest some search terms or locate a few key posts about ACH?

#4 z929669

z929669

Ixian Inventor

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,258 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 02:45 AM

There should be a lot under the project right here. links to resources, notes, etc. We would need to give him access ...

#5 Thac0

Thac0

Prisoner

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 02:51 AM

[quote name=''z929669' pid='19934' dateline='1358063100']There should be a lot under the project right here. links to resources' date=' notes, etc. We would need to give him access ...[/quote']
Ah! That explains things. I was wondering what a random forum with one thread that everyone seemed to know what was going on, but with no background information, was doing hanging at the bottom of the forums. ^-^

Perhaps making the entire sub-forum require access would be the more appropriate solution...

#6 z929669

z929669

Ixian Inventor

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,258 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 03:35 AM

[quote='Thac0' pid='19935' dateline='1358063507']
[quote name=''z929669' pid='19934' dateline='1358063100']There should be a lot under the project right here. links to resources' date=' notes, etc. We would need to give him access ...[/quote']
Ah! That explains things. I was wondering what a random forum with one thread that everyone seemed to know what was going on, but with no background information, was doing hanging at the bottom of the forums. ^-^

Perhaps making the entire sub-forum require access would be the more appropriate solution...[/quote]
I had set it up that way in the beginning, but it got changed to fit what we needed without realizing the impact from the "standard user" perspective.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users