Can't start any programs on MO2

Mr777Nick

Question

I don't know what happen to my setup, everytime I want to open any programs it said "failed to spawn "SSEEdit.exe": failed to start process (The Parameter is incorrect. [87])" after the fvs window closed itself.

This is not my first setup for Mod Organizer though, I have tried the version from the github 2.0.7 for my FO4 setup.

I followed the guide here: https://wiki.step-project.com/User:Gernash/MODWiki

That guide said that I have to use mklink method to be able to use use MO2 properly.

I can't use LOOT when following that guide, but I ignore it because F04 itself doesn't need much tools outside its game.

So 2 weeks ago I just started to mod my Skyrim SE, and decided to follow a guide here: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/2846/

And I was trying to use the MO2 which already installed on my PC. As MO2 2.0.7 won't detect SkyrimSE, so I tried to update it to latest beta 2.0.8b.

I still can't use any program when I used it, although it does detect SkyrimSE. It said exactly from the message on first pargraph up there.

Then last week I found out that I created the SkyrimSE MO2 path on different folder than what I used from the mklink method on FO4, and it worked, I can run any program such as loot and SSEdit on MO2.

But then when I want to update my modlist with loot today, that message comes again and I can't use any program inside MO2 again.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I already exploded my head trying to solve this thing.

Thank you!

8 answers to this question

Oh yeah, Run As Admin already tried, still the same. MO2 reinstall also do the same.

And the usvfs logs on log folder also always stays at 0 kb, without anything inside it when I opened it.

MO2 Installed on D:\Program Files(x86)\ModOrganizer , yes I created that folder by myself so UAC won't intervere it.

and MO2 folder data on D:\Program Files (x86)\ModOrganizer2Data , that folder then linked to MO2 folder on

C:\Users\USER\AppData\Local\ModOrganizer by the mklink method I used before.

Oh God, I'm so frustated, I spent days on working on my SkyrimSE setup and still can't play it. :'(

(I can play the game via MO2 and it detected my mods, but as the other program won't be opened, I can't mod my game properly)

Below I attached my ini from FO4 and SkyrimSE folder.

ModOrganizer.ini

ModOrganizer.ini

Edited by Mr777Nick

That guide said that I have to use mklink method to be able to use use MO2 properly.

I have never used mklink with MO2 and it works fine for me. I believe that MO in general has problems with symbolic links.

Oh yeah, Run As Admin already tried, still the same. MO2 reinstall also do the same.

And the usvfs logs on log folder also always stays at 0 kb, without anything inside it when I opened it.

Tannin has said in the past that MO should never be run with elevated privileges as it will introduce problems down the road.

MO2 Installed on D:\Program Files(x86)\ModOrganizer , yes I created that folder by myself so UAC won't intervere it.

and MO2 folder data on D:\Program Files (x86)\ModOrganizer2Data , that folder then linked to MO2 folder on

C:\Users\USER\AppData\Local\ModOrganizer by the mklink method I used before.

I am not an expert on Windows, but using a UAC protected named folder outside of the C drive may not be a good idea. I have MO installed on a separate drive along with other programs in "PC Installed programs" folder.

By default MO2 uses C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\ModOrganizer\GAME_NAME\FOLDER_NAME to store related files unless you have changed them in the paths settings. I would only change the Download and Mods items to other places and leave the rest at the default. I tried changing the others when MO2 first came out and had bad results.

I took a look at both ModOrganizer.ini files. Did you edit those before posting here or are they the ones from the folders. The reason I ask is they do not look complete and are missing some sections, [settings],[Plugins] and a few others, which would make me think something is messing with ModOrganizers ability to write to these files. Try disabling your Anti Virus/ malware software for a short time and run MO.

I have never used mklink with MO2 and it works fine for me. I believe that MO in general has problems with symbolic links.

I already tried to reinstall MO2 and remove the mklink so that MO2 remake its data folder.

But alas, even though MO2 is using its newly generated data folder, Loot and any programs still refused to be run (still show the same message).

I am suspicious there's still leftover from the old MO2 even when I reinstalled MO2.

Is there any folders or registrys I have to delete to fully uninstall MO2 other than the one on AppData?

And yes, I delete the MO2 folder when I uninstalled it.

Tannin has said in the past that MO should never be run with elevated privileges as it will introduce problems down the road.

Already tried with or without elevated privileges, still not working.

Might check later if all other programs (Loot, SSEdit, etc) is set to Running as Admin.

I am not an expert on Windows, but using a UAC protected named folder outside of the C drive may not be a good idea. I have MO installed on a separate drive along with other programs in "PC Installed programs" folder.

Well, all my other programs which installed on that folder is working just fine, Steam (and all my games) is installed there too.

Also already tried to install MO2 outside that folder, I installed it on D:\ModOrganizer. Still not working.

By default MO2 uses C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\ModOrganizer\GAME_NAME\FOLDER_NAME to store related files unless you have changed them in the paths settings. I would only change the Download and Mods items to other places and leave the rest at the default. I tried changing the others when MO2 first came out and had bad results.

So you're saying that I should just run MO2 after I installed it, use MO2 data folder on AppData, and then manually changed the Download and Mods path to the one I want it to?

Also another thing I want to mention is, even though MO2 uses C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\ModOrganizer\GAME_NAME\FOLDER_NAME to store its files, another folder which usually got created on that location like logs, download, mods, etc is also created on C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\ModOrganizer

I took a look at both ModOrganizer.ini files. Did you edit those before posting here or are they the ones from the folders. The reason I ask is they do not look complete and are missing some sections, [settings],[Plugins] and a few others, which would make me think something is messing with ModOrganizers ability to write to these files. Try disabling your Anti Virus/ malware software for a short time and run MO.

No, I didn't edit those inis.

Also tried with my BitDefender off and on, still not working.

Strange, seeing this MO2 was working just fine last week, and then suddenly back to it's issues before.

Sorry for the late reply.

So you're saying that I should just run MO2 after I installed it, use MO2 data folder on AppData, and then manually changed the Download and Mods path to the one I want it to?

I would say yes to this. In the original release by Tannin I had problems with changing the other folders, sorry I don't remember what they were, and I have never changed them after that. I can't remember if I changed the "Base Directory' first as I did not take notes.

Also another thing I want to mention is, even though MO2 uses C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\ModOrganizer\GAME_NAME\FOLDER_NAME to store its files, another folder which usually got created on that location like logs, download, mods, etc is also created on C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\ModOrganizer

I tried to imply that with "\GAME_NAME\FOLDER_NAME" without listing all of the folder names.

I don't know what happen to my setup, every time I want to open any programs it said "failed to spawn "SSEEdit.exe": failed to start process (The Parameter is incorrect. [87])" after the fvs window closed itself.

I got this a few times yesterday while running a few utilities through MO2.0.8.1 with FO4. Most of the time just restarting MO fixed it, but a couple of times I had to do an actual restart of my computer. I have noticed tool process still running in the background as monitored with task manager when this happens. It looks like when they crash they do not close down and any subsequent running of them will not happen until they are closed with task manager.

You can try renaming the ModOrganizer folder in the AppData folder and see if this helps you. As far as I know MO does not write to the Windows registry, it only reads from it. MO should be shut down if you try this. 

Sorry for not replying this sooner.

So this is what I've tried so far. I installed MO2 on my laptop, then tried to run LOOT on it, and it worked perfectly fine.

Then I copied both the folder ModOrganizer on AppData and ModOrganizer program.

Yes, I installed SkyrimSE and MO2 on the same directory on both my PC and laptop, I also uninstalled/deleted both folder on My PC before I copy the one from my laptop. Also double-checked if any directory listed on ini files are directed into a wrong folder.

The result was, well, not so good. Same messages appeared when I try to launch LOOT.

So my theory is, it's either the registry/save folder on unknown place which used by MO, or it's the registry on my PC which got messed up.

My current temporary workaround is, I copied all my MO2 folder on my PC to my laptop, run LOOT, Wrye Bash, etc. And then copy it back to my PC. Tedious work, but it works so far. So yeah, any ideas?

To clear some things up: the only registry settings involved are the game's. You need to run the game at least once from it's own launcher to establish those BEFORE any tool will 'see' where the game is.

LOOT and MO/MO2 use text files to store all their settings.

Ensure that both machines are running the correct Visual C++ Redistributables. LOOT requires this version of it.

Check your AV software and add MO as an exclusion. If everything was working 2 weeks ago and you've made no changes then the only thing else that comes to mind is a Windows update may have changed something or your AV software is now being overly cautious.

Failing that just remove all instances of your previous MO2 install and install the latest beta.