Mod Organizer 2 Development Status

LePresidente

Question

Hi, Just thought i would place this here kinda to give feedback on what the current status is and Items that I simply don't have the skills to fix.

Latest Release:

2.0.8.3b - https://github.com/LePresidente/modorganizer/releases/tag/v2.0.8.3b

Items Requiring a C++ Developer (Things I can't fix):

These fixed themselves (Shrugs)

Profiles:

Custom profile locations are  currently not supported, Please either use portable or the %appdata% locations for now, I'm planning on adding a new option when creating the profiles called "Custom Location" that will create everything in the location and setup all the internal settings correctly.

Games Supported:

Currently due to time restraints I will be looking at only fixing the SkyrimSE and fallout4 bugs, Please use MO1 for the others if MO2 has issues with those games.

*Note on the silence up till now*

Sorry for the long delay there was work happening in the background, And I kinda went into radio silence since a few of us were stumped by the memory issues, Should be a Test release here soon as well once we are sure it will work as expected. I was against making any claims until now due to that people were comparing my "quick fixes" to Tannins work as a whole which is not fair to tannin's great contributions or myself for just getting things compiling in general. So I have waited for some sort of testing to take place and the project to get some momentum. 

Fixes coming in 2.1.0

1. Building with VS2015 and QT5.9.1
  2. All memory bugs have gone by magic (I'm serious no idea how, Using Qt's Binary install has helped)
  3. ESL support has been done by Helidoc and Silarn [WIP
  4. Tutorials are back and working and updated (Thanks to Silarn)
  5. Few null exceptions are caught now, So no more hard crashes due to firewall/network issues
  6. sort button uses the new loot api that supports esl
  7. A few SkyrimSE/Fallout4 fixes (e.g fallout4 mods don't deselect anymore after running loot)
  8. Local profiles and saves are working, Though tester has notified us disabling local profiles doesn't work so still [WIP]

Issues in 2.1.0

No issues in latest test build

You can find the test builds on discord in the testers channel.

No wix installer yet though I have been slacking

**** Updates to come ****

Edited by LePresidente
  • +1 7

Lol, my amd phenom X6 is fine for now just showing its age, will probably upgrade later this year. Where i stay stuffs expensive lol.

I seriously just have lack of time to put the required effort that MO2 needs to be honest. My focus has solely been on modorganizer-umbrella to smooth the build process for other devs aswell. and building QT5 from source is just painful lol.

Maybe one day when i master this usvfs code :P people will pay me to keep this ship sailing, till then i seriously don't have the coding skills to do so. Or at the moment the time to focus on it.

• +1 2

Not here to start an argument but something that has been a long standing issue. All tools such as Wrye Bash/Flash, LOOT, xEdit have never been made to be incompatible with MO or MO2. The programs are 32 bit and simply compiled using commercial software except in the case of Wrye Bash/Flash which uses a community authored compiler. The compilers use the provided libraries to access the windows file system directly.

The reason I am here is because there was yet another of hundreds of arguments that I have read over the years.  In this case it was in the FO4Edit comments section and FO4Edit couldn't perform the desired action. When we politely made it clear that we have never used MO2 and asked the poster to ask about MO2 in the STEP forums he replied with, "... the MO2 nerds will... send me back here..."  I am omitting most of the comment but it shouldn't matter since it's the point of my post anyway.

I don't know if what the person said is true but if it is would the STEP moderators and LePresidente kindly discourage any such comments and behavior please. There is nothing wrong with MO, or MO2 and I have nothing bad to say about it nor do I wish to. I would just appreciate it that when someone asks why 3rd party tools are not working with MO2 that they are not sent back to the authors.

All of the tools mentioned are maintained by people (with the exception of WrinklyNinja) who have never used MO/MO2. We only have a basic understanding that there are virtual folders.  We can't help users configure the tools to work with MO/MO2 because we are unfamiliar with the settings and functionality. We can't provide troubleshooting or assist in explaining why the tool isn't functioning with MO/MO2 for the same reason.

There is no hidden or missing functionality and nothing specifically that Delphi, C++, or Python can provide to create the compatibility that users feel should exist.  WrinklyNinja had been using MO (I don't know if he still does) and made a statement to the effect that any time LOOT has an issue with MO he is in the same boat as everyone else.

NOTE: As for 32 bit vs 64 bit versions. The only program that may ever become 64 bit is xEdit because of the work Sheson and Zilav do for the LOD requirements with FO4 and SSE. However, until that time just consider it to be something that may or may not happen.

Edited by Sharlikran
  • +1 1

Sharlikran said...

<snip>

I can categorically state that STEP never sends users back to the pages of LOOT, xEdit, Wrye Bash or any other tool unless we are absolutely sure the matter is due to those tools. Incidentally this happens very very few times as all those tools are maintained correctly by authors that know what they are doing.

MO2 is IMHO not in a state that warrants fulltime use, hence the disclaimer in the sub-forum header that it is very much a "beta" release.

My apologies to you and the other maintainers that are coping some flak over MO2's quirks, but I can assure you it is not due to STEP shirking our responsibility.

For me it's not that I feel anyone is not being responsible in some way. The STEP community is very compassionate toward users and very passionate about what they do and offer to the community. However, when I see posts that say the "nerds" then that to me indicates the general population making posts and not the STEP community itself.

Whether the staff or the general user I stand by my statement that I can count on one hand the number of times any user has been advised to go elsewhere for help.

In future anytime a user comes to you saying STEP has told them to come and ask you for help, you can rest assured they have probably never even posted here first.

Might I please ask a quick question? I see in MO2 that I have use of only one Nexus server now, which is CDN. Was that a Nexus change? Or have I broken something?

Thanks!

Forget my request - I managed to retrieve the other server information!

Why not setup a patron account and see if we can't get some support going for some updates?  This might spur on some interest.  I've been using MO2 with FO4 for quite a while now and have found it very stable for my usage.  I know Tannin is working on "Vortex" or whatever they decided to call it...but until I see something better, Mod Organizer is the king. 

GrantSP, from what I am hearing Microsoft has introduced changes that will hinder functionality of MO/MO2.  I don't understand the development of Vortex but from what I heard (only one source) Vortex may not be effected.  However, the current maintainers for MO/MO2 may not (or can't/won't) be able to work around the issue Microsoft has created. This seems to be mostly for Windows 10 users, do you know if it effects Windows 7 as well?  I ask because even though I don't support MO/MO2 I refer people to STEP for help when they report strange issues and I don't have any options for them.

This development is very disappointing. I don't like any mod manager except Wrye Bash/Flash however, I would never want to see other mod managers fail. I would never want to see users options limited no matter what my personal preferences are.

Edited by Sharlikran
  • +1 1

I can't test it at the moment, I'm still version 1607 of Win 10 and the so-called 'Creator' update is 1703. However from the few reports I've gotten so far I think it may be a setting that can be turned off. Failing that I hae reached out to a few coders that may be able step in and do "fix" if necessary, still in the discussion phase at the moment.

The big difference with MO and any other manager is the hooking process that @Tannin developed, he expanded on his thesis project about malware and hence the underlying code looks to Windows as malicious and may be turned off somehow. Having the ability to keep a clean 'Data' folder, and the use of multiple profiles is a good selling point of MO/MO2 but if that fails it may be time to call it a day and look elsewhere.

As for Windows 7, I doubt there are any concerns with it. Microsoft has just as much wiped their hands of it and have stated they will no longer support it in newer CPUs so I can't see any fancy patches or updates coming along that render MO broken on that platform.