Creation Kit mystery

Bluegunk

Question

I've happily been using Creation Kit through MO2 the last few days with no issues. This afternoon it refuses to load in MO2 - crashes with the dreaded "Creation Kit has stopped working".

However, it works outside MO2.

I'm running Win 10, everything on an SSD away from Program Files.

I tried reinstalling Creation Kit, reinstalling MO2, running a file verification on the system, checking Registry with CCLeaner, usual restarts etc.  No luck.

The Windows Error Log gives me this:

Faulting application name: CreationKit.exe, version: 1.3.9.0, time stamp: 0x58486f09

Faulting module name: ucrtbase.dll, version: 10.0.14393.0, time stamp: 0x578997b5

Exception code: 0xc0000409

Fault offset: 0x000000000006d5b8

Faulting process ID: 0x2f60

Faulting application start time: 0x01d26f5bb7cb358e

Faulting application path: G:\GAMES\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim Special Edition\CreationKit.exe

Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\ucrtbase.dll

Report ID: d6761478-a6c5-4e10-9da8-db660f12aaf0

Faulting package full name:

Faulting package-relative application ID:

Any help much appreciated! Thank you!

7 answers to this question

Here's the Windows log for game start up failure:

Faulting application name: SkyrimSELauncher.exe, version: 1.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5804e60a

Faulting module name: usvfs_x64.dll, version: 0.2.3.0, time stamp: 0x58788cdb

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x000000000008244b

Faulting process ID: 0x2fa8

Faulting application start time: 0x01d26f6d0bf0b968

Faulting application path: G:\GAMES\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim Special Edition\SkyrimSELauncher.exe

Faulting module path: G:\GAMES\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim Special Edition\Mod Organiser SE\usvfs_x64.dll

Report ID: e31cb410-ca54-4e5b-ab50-04cb21c448e0

Faulting package full name:

Faulting package-relative application ID:

Game not starting has been resolved. Coincidentally, the SE mod Immersive Jewellery was breaking the Virtual File install so it was no relation to the Creation Kit issue.

Came across this issue myself in another thread. The author has left behind Maya editor working folders in his archive and because of the naming scheme: ".mayaSwatches", MO apparently is parsing it 'as go up one level and continue from there', this results in recursive folder listings in the VFS eventually breaking the path limit.

Very poor form on that author's part IMHO.

Thank you for your help!  Thanks for the explanation of how MO2 misreads the MayaSwatches, GrantSp. That's useful for when I get modding.

This morning the CK started up OK (whereas last night it would not - ??)  I checked the CK files via Bethesda validation and they are OK.  I'm going to try some ESP conversions and see how I get on.

Are these pop-up error boxes a new feature of the CK?  Here's a screenie:  https://www.filedropper.com/ck-unusualtableonleft .

Sorry to be a bit dumb - I use the CK for low-level stuff;  but it would be good practice for me to understand why it started crashing when launching from MO2, and then suddenly gets better. And if it is an issue with Win 10 / MO2 it's useful for us all to know.

Many thanks.

The CK is working perfectly (as well as can be expected from the CK) in MO2 this morning. I think it's best we close this case.

I'm guessing my Win 10 had a bilious attack yesterday and caused the problem. I did restart my PC last night but it made no difference, yet after an overnight rest it all seems OK.  Perhaps it was tired and irritable.

If anyone can decipher the crash log above in my opening post, and the information improves MO2's durability, then fair enough and I hope it's a help.

Just a final note to say the current MO2 is really good - and I thank the developers for their work on it. I wish I was clever enough to help!