Skyrim Realistic Overhaul (by Starac)

z929669

That is part of the weathers and imagespaces, but there are definitely a few other contributing records.
Try out vivid weathers, it may be a little over saturated, but dont I would try it without any of the optional stuff.
There is also ELFX weathers which is pretty interesting. Its tinted more purple and the rain is stupid heavy.

Pretty much any weather mod will remove that.
I think ENB has a ways to remove the post processing, but that can break imagespaces(post processing stuff) from what I remember.

Im not sure if a color balance mod exists for SSE. I know there are some reshades that try to do it.

That is part of the weathers and imagespaces, but there are definitely a few other contributing records.

Try out vivid weathers, it may be a little over saturated, but dont I would try it without any of the optional stuff.

There is also ELFX weathers which is pretty interesting. Its tinted more purple and the rain is stupid heavy.

Pretty much any weather mod will remove that.

I think ENB has a ways to remove the post processing, but that can break imagespaces(post processing stuff) from what I remember.

Im not sure if a color balance mod exists for SSE. I know there are some reshades that try to do it.

I have tried vivid weathers and i'm not fan of that. 

I was thinking about some ini. tweaks and similar. For example to change sun rays because they make game to look washed out. 

I have tried vivid weathers and i'm not fan of that. 

I was thinking about some ini. tweaks and similar. For example to change sun rays because they make game to look washed out. 

Only just noticed this was out. Thanks for uploading a new version for SSE! SRO was my preferred texture pack in the original game so will download this as soon as I get a chance after work today.

For the lighting issue, I've also been struggling to remove the tint and blur. The vanilla weathers actually aren't bad. I tried CoT (not a fan) and Vivid (not bad but too saturated). I’m currently testing Dolomite weathers (still a WIP – only clear weathers finished at the moment) – you might want to try that: https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/comments/5nuzsa/dolomite_weathers_clear_weathers_now_available/?st=iy3ijfn1&sh=64dda9b0

Only just noticed this was out. Thanks for uploading a new version for SSE! SRO was my preferred texture pack in the original game so will download this as soon as I get a chance after work today.

For the lighting issue, I've also been struggling to remove the tint and blur. The vanilla weathers actually aren't bad. I tried CoT (not a fan) and Vivid (not bad but too saturated). I’m currently testing Dolomite weathers (still a WIP – only clear weathers finished at the moment) – you might want to try that: https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/comments/5nuzsa/dolomite_weathers_clear_weathers_now_available/?st=iy3ijfn1&sh=64dda9b0

I have tried that and IMAGINATOR also, and thats not it. 

IMAGINATOR only offers quicker solution for what i can do in ini. files. Looks like i'm gonna stick with original Skyrim version. 

Thanks guys. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have been testing this out on classic Skyrim with STEP Extended. So far I have just inserted it before all the landscape mods in STEP 2.2.9.2, so some of the textures are replaced by other mods. I think I might try how it looks just by itself; if it were re-accepted into STEP, which landscape and other texture mods would it replace?

here are some benchmarking stats for comparison. I have STEP EXTENDED, but without Dyndolod. I started by "coc whiterun", ran up to the stables, then cow'ed to the mountains to look at rock and snow textures (33,15), then cow'ed to Windhelm because that is one of the more taxing spots for graphics cards (as far as I am aware). The dips are where I used the cow console command.

I first tried this with just STEP EXTENDED minus Dyndolod. Then I installed SRO and placed it just before the landscape mods (so some of its textures were being overwritten. Finally, just because there was a discussion about using DDSopt to reduce some of the textures, I followed the ddsopt quick start guide to reduce the textures to maximum of 2K. The third graph is with these SRO textures.

step extended

h7cAMRb.jpg

step extended w SRO

HeEYUAu.jpg

step extended plus SRO reduced to 2K

d4ReY98.jpg

It looks like it raises my VRAM usage by a fair amount. I don't have Dyndolod or an ENB running (and I usually like to use the ultra trees option for dyndolod) so im worried that using all sro textures might be too much.

The difference between SRO uncleaned and unreduced and the version that I ran through ddsopt wasn't that noticeable except for some of the mountain and rock textures (where the difference was very noticeable). See below for comparison:

Mountain rocks (33,15)

with SRO:
Y7JogQB.png

with SRO reduced to 2K
Rxeb9o0.png

Windhelm walls
with SRO
f0YdI05.png

SRO reduced to 2K
Zk7EAxi.png

Edit: fixed image links

Edited by kcinlober

I have been testing this out on classic Skyrim with STEP Extended. So far I have just inserted it before all the landscape mods in STEP 2.2.9.2, so some of the textures are replaced by other mods. I think I might try how it looks just by itself; if it were re-accepted into STEP, which landscape and other texture mods would it replace?

here are some benchmarking stats for comparison. I have STEP EXTENDED, but without Dyndolod. I started by "coc whiterun", ran up to the stables, then cow'ed to the mountains to look at rock and snow textures (33,15), then cow'ed to Windhelm because that is one of the more taxing spots for graphics cards (as far as I am aware). The dips are where I used the cow console command.

I first tried this with just STEP EXTENDED minus Dyndolod. Then I installed SRO and placed it just before the landscape mods (so some of its textures were being overwritten. Finally, just because there was a discussion about using DDSopt to reduce some of the textures, I followed the ddsopt quick start guide to reduce the textures to maximum of 2K. The third graph is with these SRO textures.

step extended

h7cAMRb.jpg

step extended w SRO

HeEYUAu.jpg

step extended plus SRO reduced to 2K

d4ReY98.jpg

It looks like it raises my VRAM usage by a fair amount. I don't have Dyndolod or an ENB running (and I usually like to use the ultra trees option for dyndolod) so im worried that using all sro textures might be too much.

The difference between SRO uncleaned and unreduced and the version that I ran through ddsopt wasn't that noticeable except for some of the mountain and rock textures (where the difference was very noticeable). See below for comparison:

Mountain rocks (33,15)

with SRO:
Y7JogQB.png

with SRO reduced to 2K
Rxeb9o0.png

Windhelm walls
with SRO
f0YdI05.png

SRO reduced to 2K
Zk7EAxi.png

Edit: fixed image links

Why do you reduce textures if you have 4gb card and game works good? Also like before there's no need to optimize my textures because there's nothing to optimize. Only if one have vram overload should "optimize" them. 

Sure there is a difference between 4k and 2k, but that 2k mountain texture that you resized does not look good? It looks like 1k texture?

Here is my 4k vs 2k:

pASNDQN.jpg

xUZyBLl.jpg

This is on 3 meshes, and there is a difference but not that huge like in your case. 

Why do you reduce textures if you have 4gb card and game works good? Also like before there's no need to optimize my textures because there's nothing to optimize. 

Well I'm not sure I need to, I just wanted to see/share what the difference would be. I didn't test it with what will be my full setup bc that would involve running dyndolod a bunch of times and i haven't yet decided what else I will add (newer version of SFO, enhanced landscapes, weather mods, etc).

Sure there is a difference between 4k and 2k, but that 2k mountain texture that you resized does not look good? It looks like 1k texture?

Ya I looked some more and don't know why that mountain texture is so weird. I must have forgotten to deselect another texture mod that was overriding it. The SRO textures are better than most for architecture, clutter, misc, etc textures, but always better when it comes to landscape. The mountainrockslab textures seem to get spread over some big meshes so it is nice that they are so huge.

One thing I am not sure about is the snow on the rocks. Does it look correct for the untouched SRO in my screenshots? It sometimes is still fairly blobby and poorly resolved.

SRO used to be in the Conflicting Graphics section of the Guide. It would likely be placed there again. The mountain texture is the current Guide is provided by Improved Vanilla Mountains found in the Landscape section.

SRO used to provide the majority of the Guides enhanced vanilla textures. Once it was removed we replaced the main landscape textures with Skyrim HD's landscapes as they were the closest to vanilla we could find. Many, many textures were never replaced that SRO covered. For the purposes of the Guide we also had a very customized, reduced SRO where textures were a mix of 4k, 2K, and 1K (mostly small clutter objects). The normals were mainly reduced to 2K and 1K. To be honest, I can rarely tell the difference between 4K and 2K textures when actually gaming and not just standing around looking at textures up close. This is how STEP goes about testing most of our textures. We're not producing the Guide for screen-archery, we're producing it for gameplay and 4K textures are typically overkill for such purposes.

We typically recommend avoiding DDSopt if possible with high quality textures such as those from Starac. Its main value is in producing better quality mipmaps, and better compressed normal maps when reducing texture size. Many of the better texture mod authors have already done a lot of this. DDSopt is very useful for a lot of the vanilla textures and some of the mod textures created soon after Skyrim was released, but even there you can find texture packs with vanilla textures that have already been optimized with DDSopt.

You might compare the placement of Skyrim Realistic Overhaul in the STEP 2.2.9 Guide versus the placement of mods in the STEP 2.2.9.2 Guide to get an idea where it might be placed. In general it was placed between Static Mesh Improvement Mod and HD Misc in Conflicting Graphics.

I agree with TechAngel85 on the 4K textures with the caveat that my eyes are old as dirt and I'm not a graphics artist so I don't see a lot of blemishes that others might see. I just let the 20- and 30-somethings do the looking for me. :-)

SRO used to provide the majority of the Guides enhanced vanilla textures. Once it was removed we replaced the main landscape textures with Skyrim HD's landscapes as they were the closest to vanilla we could find. Many, many textures were never replaced that SRO covered. For the purposes of the Guide we also had a very customized, reduced SRO where textures were a mix of 4k, 2K, and 1K (mostly small clutter objects). The normals were mainly reduced to 2K and 1K. To be honest, I can rarely tell the difference between 4K and 2K textures when actually gaming and not just standing around looking at textures up close.

yes, for most of the textures I couldn't see much of a difference between 4k and 2k. I just tried with dyndolod and SRO and in markarth and the solitude docks the vram jumped to around 3,800mb. I was using 3d tree lod's, so that was a big contributor.

We typically recommend avoiding DDSopt if possible with high quality textures such as those from Starac. Its main value is in producing better quality mipmaps, and better compressed normal maps when reducing texture size. Many of the better texture mod authors have already done a lot of this. DDSopt is very useful for a lot of the vanilla textures and some of the mod textures created soon after Skyrim was released, but even there you can find texture packs with vanilla textures that have already been optimized with DDSopt.

Thanks, that makes sense. I only wanted to use it to try to reduce the 4k textures to 2k. I am not experienced with ddsopt, so i just followed the quickstart guide. Is there a better way to do that?

You might compare the placement of Skyrim Realistic Overhaul in the STEP 2.2.9 Guide versus the placement of mods in the STEP 2.2.9.2 Guide to get an idea where it might be placed. In general it was placed between Static Mesh Improvement Mod and HD Misc in Conflicting Graphics.

ahhhh, i was looking around for the older guide but couldn't find it! thanks, that is where I have it placed now.

Well I'm not sure I need to, I just wanted to see/share what the difference would be. I didn't test it with what will be my full setup bc that would involve running dyndolod a bunch of times and i haven't yet decided what else I will add (newer version of SFO, enhanced landscapes, weather mods, etc).

Ya I looked some more and don't know why that mountain texture is so weird. I must have forgotten to deselect another texture mod that was overriding it. The SRO textures are better than most for architecture, clutter, misc, etc textures, but always better when it comes to landscape. The mountainrockslab textures seem to get spread over some big meshes so it is nice that they are so huge.

One thing I am not sure about is the snow on the rocks. Does it look correct for the untouched SRO in my screenshots? It sometimes is still fairly blobby and poorly resolved.

Snow on the rocks is a shader, and has nothing to do with my textures. Try "better dynamic snow".

Also 4k textures are more detailed and much more sharper, especially on big meshes.

I never use tools like DDSopt to resize textures, and i don't recommend it either. I do it with Photoshop using "bicubic sharper" method. 

The question is how good is DDSopt for resizing? 

Here is Solitude example.

oVyv45c.jpg

YC80D3O.jpg

• +1 1