Skyrim Realistic Overhaul (by Starac)

z929669

Religion was never a good "thing"  ::):

Seriously, i know people who spend more time trying mods then playing. What's the point? 

Me too!  ::D:

Well...it's fun! Especially because the (main-)story has so much flaws. 

For classic Skyrim, I actually prefer a light ENB. Personally, I use ELEP to keep the vanilla style, but get a few of the nice features that ENB offers like better shadows, cloud shadows, water enhancements, etc.

Hey Tech, for that ENB do you have to input those settings yourself after downloading the enb or are those in there by default?

According to the detailed instructions, i have to install Part 1-3 + original version update. 

What about the other update file, which includes the missing DG textures?

For original version you must install everything. And for SSE you don't need that "original version update". 

Hey Tech, for that ENB do you have to input those settings yourself after downloading the enb or are those in there by default?

ELEP: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/78809/?

It has a few active already (you can read the mod page about it), but you can turn on and off whatever you wish.

For original version you must install everything. And for SSE you don't need that "original version update". 

The "SRO 1.7. original Skyrim version update" file 100% overwrites the "Skyrim Realistic Overhaul 1.7. Update" file (verified in MO conflicts tab) so there is no reason to install it. Right?

ELEP: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/78809/?

It has a few active already (you can read the mod page about it), but you can turn on and off whatever you wish.

The "SRO 1.7. original Skyrim version update" file 100% overwrites the "Skyrim Realistic Overhaul 1.7. Update" file (verified in MO conflicts tab) so there is no reason to install it. Right?

Well both updates contain the same textures, at least according to size of textures. Are they different in terms of alpha channels i don't remember really because I did this 5 months ago. And i can't check them now because i have new rig and system. At the moment i don't have Photoshop installed, etc.

That's why i recommend to install all 3 parts and both updates for original version.   

Yes. 

Dawnguard update has only some architecture textures that i forgot to include, and they are without additional alpha channels, so can be used with both versions.

Only SE landscape textures have additional alpha channels incompatible with original version. 

The above is what Starac wrote about the Dawnguard update right after it was uploaded.

• 1 month later...

I'm using the STEP guide on Classic for the first time. I'm also using Skyrim Realistic Overhaul for the first time. Got a question to get clarification on how to install the SRO files.

If I try to install them using MO, I get the red warning message that the data directory doesn't exist. When I right click on the data folder and select the option to create a data directory, the warning message does not change to the green Look Good. If I continue on with the install, I get another warning message that says bad things could happen if I continue. I stopped and did not install SRO Part 1 using MO.

I then tried just extracting the file into the Skyrim folder. It ended up creating a SRO Part 1 subfolder. Inside that folder is a Data/texture subfolder structure with multiple subfolders inside the textures folder.

I assume the correct thing to do is copy the entire texture sub folder into the main Data folder. Rinse and repeat for all the other SRO files. Can someone confirm if that is what I should do?

Thanks in advance

I'm using the STEP guide on Classic for the first time. I'm also using Skyrim Realistic Overhaul for the first time. Got a question to get clarification on how to install the SRO files.

If I try to install them using MO, I get the red warning message that the data directory doesn't exist. When I right click on the data folder and select the option to create a data directory, the warning message does not change to the green Look Good. If I continue on with the install, I get another warning message that says bad things could happen if I continue. I stopped and did not install SRO Part 1 using MO.

I then tried just extracting the file into the Skyrim folder. It ended up creating a SRO Part 1 subfolder. Inside that folder is a Data/texture subfolder structure with multiple subfolders inside the textures folder.

I assume the correct thing to do is copy the entire texture sub folder into the main Data folder. Rinse and repeat for all the other SRO files. Can someone confirm if that is what I should do?

Thanks in advance

You clearly need to read the MO Guide: https://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:Mod_Organizer#Installing.2C_Updating.2C_.26_Uninstalling_Mods

One of the biggest reasons to use MO is to avoid putting files in the Data directory, so don't do that...ever.

You clearly need to read the MO Guide: https://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:Mod_Organizer#Installing.2C_Updating.2C_.26_Uninstalling_Mods

One of the biggest reasons to use MO is to avoid putting files in the Data directory, so don't do that...ever.

Ive only used STEP once before for FNV. I used the Fear and Loathing guide and in that guide issues like the one I described are usually accounted for and walk you thru the process. As your link pointed out, usually you can right click and select Set Data Directory and that fixes the problem and you get the green Looks Good message. That did not work for me so either I did something wrong or the STEP instructions for installing SRO are incorrect. I probably did something wrong but at this point don't know how to proceed.

Ive only used STEP once before for FNV. I used the Fear and Loathing guide and in that guide issues like the one I described are usually accounted for and walk you thru the process. As your link pointed out, usually you can right click and select Set Data Directory and that fixes the problem and you get the green Looks Good message. That did not work for me so either I did something wrong or the STEP instructions for installing SRO are incorrect. I probably did something wrong but at this point don't know how to proceed.

All you need to do is right-click on the folder containing the "textures" folder (in this case the "data" folder) and choose to set it as the Data directory. Including extra folders like the data folder in the directory structure is a common mistake among mod authors so you should expect to run into it fairly often.

Can Project Parallax Remastered https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/40512/? be used with SRO 1.7?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have forget to include some new Dawnguard textures. Must upload an update because of that  :dry:

Thanks.

Why don't you try and tell us  ::):

Just made an account to reply to these posts, just in case anyone else has come this far looking for this answer as well. YES! It works totally fine as far as I can tell. I'm 15 hours in to this save with 140 other mods piled on top of it without a hitch.

Keywords: skyrim realistic overhaul 1.7, sro 1.7, project parallax, patch, compatability

All you need to do is right-click on the folder containing the "textures" folder (in this case the "data" folder) and choose to set it as the Data directory. Including extra folders like the data folder in the directory structure is a common mistake among mod authors so you should expect to run into it fairly often.

Thanks that worked

• 1 month later...

I've recently ran into my first Out-Of-memory message from the CrashFixes Plugin on this machine and this is after I added SRO 1.7 to my game. This is especially disappointing since I own a relatively new, powerful rig and I only play in 1080p. I can only blame Microsoft and their very needless memory limitation for DX9 in Windows 10.  (Yes, I have ExpandSystemMemory set to TRUE in enblocal.ini and OSAllocators=1 in crashfixes.ini). I can't play a ten year old game with full 2K textures on a i5 7600K @4.5GHz with a 6GB GTX 1060 @2Ghz and 16GB 3200Mhz DDR4 and the only reason is Windows 10. I can't however go Windows 7 on this machine because it won't run on Kaby Lake!  :wallbash: And I thought now I get to really mod the hell out of Skyrim which was barely possible on my old potato. Not only that there's no way you can get Old Skyrim to not have annoying lag spikes and landscape popping on cell transitions even in vanilla state, no I have to go 1k with everything to have enough headspace for modding and enb... /rant

Anyway, in the STEP guide it is mentioned that this mod should be reduced using DDSOpt by users with average performance (sigh). I have found the DDSOpt guide but I'm still pretty at loss on how to go about reducing the SRO textures, specifically which ones and with which settings. Especially since the guide mentions this:

The previous two tabs in this guide discuss using DDSopt with the texture files provided by Bethesda. This tab and the next one discuss using DDSopt with mods created by the user community, in particular those in the STEP mod list and STEP packs. Note that the procedures described below are intended for use with all Skyrim mods, not just STEP guide and pack mods. For optimization purposes mods can be categorized into 5 types:

1. Mods for which DDSopt use isn't recommended unless additional texture size reduction is needed: typically these are mods that are already optimized or would not be improved by DDSopt. For the STEP guide mods the second column in the STEP Mod Texture table in the next tab has NO if DDSopt use isn't recommended.

Well, in the Table it says no. I realize it is for an older version.

But then here in this thread I find two other red flags...

We typically recommend avoiding DDSopt if possible with high quality textures such as those from Starac. Its main value is in producing better quality mipmaps, and better compressed normal maps when reducing texture size. Many of the better texture mod authors have already done a lot of this. DDSopt is very useful for a lot of the vanilla textures and some of the mod textures created soon after Skyrim was released, but even there you can find texture packs with vanilla textures that have already been optimized with DDSopt.

Snow on the rocks is a shader, and has nothing to do with my textures. Try "better dynamic snow".

Also 4k textures are more detailed and much more sharper, especially on big meshes.

I never use tools like DDSopt to resize textures, and i don't recommend it either. I do it with Photoshop using "bicubic sharper" method. 

The question is how good is DDSopt for resizing?

Sooo... even the mod author himself doesn't recommend downscaling with DDSOpt.  And I run out of memory with SRO textures installed. My VRAM usage with STEP Core and Hires textures outside of Whiterun is already ~3.5GB without enb enhanced graphics. Does this mean STEP 2.10.0 isn't playable in 2k on Windows 10 at all? I'm not limited by hardware here... I'll try going 1k with everything but SRO, but it does have a highest impact on my VRAM usuage, so a reduced version would be greatly appreciated. I kow it's a shame, I'd love to fully experience these gorgeous textures without having  to fear to run out of memory when fighting multiple foes or dragons...

Edited by MagnusMcMullet