Skyrim Realistic Overhaul (by Starac)

z929669

I was bored and then decided to improve some textures  ::):  Majority are new, and mostly 4k. 

Should we use the 1.8 updates instead of the 1.7 updates, or should we load 1.7 updates and then the 1.8 updates?

I already had the 1.7 files downloaded and assembled so I used the 1.8 updater and let it overwrite. I you have not downloaded 1.7 yet and you want to use 1.8 just download the 1.8 files and not the 1.8 updater.

Actually, you need everything for Oldrim (as discussed on pg22 of this thread). It appears the two 1.8 versions are both part of the update. It's just divided because some textures are incompatible with SSE. The updates with "Original Skyrim" in the name refer to Oldrim (not an original update or w/e) and shouldn't be used with SSE, the versions that don't say Original Skyrim should be used with both SSE and Oldrim. I think the install order is a minor concern but I'd guess you treat the Original Skyrim version as a bonus and add it on top of the base update.

I briefly get confused and have to work it out every time I visit that page but I always come to this conclusion.

Why would i create 2 updates? 

No you don't need 1.7 update. Actually i have wiped out these 2 old updates today. 

And yes for Oldrim you need everything, and Oldrim update must be installed on top. 

Hmm I think I found some seam issues near Riverwood on the way to bleak falls barrow (SSE): 

https://imgur.com/a/JQvNkDJ

Sorry if this has been mentioned allready. ( SRO is being overwritten by SMIM only but that doesnt touch landscape textures )

Still thanks for the great texture pack!

Edited by Kossu
  • +1 1

We have talked about this before. There are some places where these seams can be found, in vanilla game too. 

But your problem is different. Here is the same place and i don't have seams.

I redownloaded the files added the new 1.8 sse update and just made a new mod organizer setup with only SRO landscapes. Im getting quite different look then your shot :S my textures have some dark smears ( couldnt find better word for them? maybe depth smears). But you were right its much more apparent in vanilla.

https://imgur.com/a/pPZ7JQn

First is SRO second Vanilla and Last I took with Osmodius landscapes. Its those black smear ( that are especially visible in vanilla ) causing the difference.

What on earth is causing them(Since I dont have anything else then SRO in MO now ) or did I miss something in the installation process? P1-3 and sse specific update on top.

There's no need to redownload my textures cause this isn't a texture problem. To remove these dark smears you must disable snow shader.

In fact in my SRO readme file i have recommended snow shader to be disabled. It really destroys textures, especially snow textures. And for some unknown reason it's applied not only on snow textures? As usual sloppy Bethesda job.   

Here is with/without:

UUnAIRc.png

Edited by Starac
  • +1 2

There's no need to redownload my textures cause this isn't a texture problem. To remove these dark smears you must disable snow shader.

In fact in my SRO readme file i have recommended snow shader to be disabled. It really destroys textures, especially snow textures. And for some unknown reason it's applied not only on snow textures? As usual sloppy Bethesda job.   

*Facepalm*

Thank you so much. I could have not deduced it to snow shader from that.

Oh classic Todd and being naughty..

Keep up the good work and have a nice week!

Edited by Kossu

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

It could be nice to have a patch for a lighter/reduced version for the normals map. I have a gtx970 (sse installed on ssd) and i noticed more stutters/drop frames when the game have to load a big amount of textures, especially when we approach close to the cities. Just did a test only with and without SRO installed, going to whiterun from riverwood, the difference is really noticeable.

Edited by YomNexus

It could be nice to have a patch for a lighter/reduced version for the normals map. I have a gtx970 (sse installed on ssd) and i noticed more stutters/drop frames when the game have to load a big amount of textures, especially when we approach close to the cities. Just did a test only with and without SRO installed, going to whiterun from riverwood, the difference is really noticeable.

You can do that using DDSopt.