User Interface Section Is flat out Incorrect.

GuinessWalker

Question

I really like this guide, but if one follows exactly, and only what EssArrBee suggests, then in the User Interface section, you WILL have a darnUI problem when you launch the game when he tells you to. He says "Have you check the install?" Yes, in fact, I repeated that section 3 times doing only and exactly what the guide says. I know what the problem, is, DarnUI needs to overwrite a few MCM, PN, WMM, and oHUD menu files, and it's easy enough to do, or to hide the ones in those mods mentioned, but seeing as the idea is to install from top to bottom, you will absolutely, every time have this menu error if you don't correct the menu files overwritten in DarnUI. No where is it mentioned that these menu files need to be hidden, and on top of that, the link to DarnUI just downloads the file, instead of taking you to the site where you learn that you have to make some changes to the font section of the inis. (Granted he does mention the site in the description, so this is really a non issue.) It really isn't a big deal to fix at all, but am i just really unobservant? Is there some step earlier on that I somehow missed that corrects this issue? Because looking at it right now, you would have to have more than a little base knowledge on modding in order to fix this issue, and if you're not using MO (....Why aren't you?) Then maybe this issue doesn't even exist, but common! ....Now that I think about it, did I just answer my own questions? Is it because I'm using MO, and thus menu files are overwritten or? I don't know, but no matter how I look at it, it just doesn't make sense. This section at least poorly worded, and at best flat our omits necessary information. So, Am I wrong? Am I an idiot? Has anyone else experienced this? I'm curious, this has been really frustrating me. 

P.S (YES, I did install DarnUI manually, so no, that is not the issue.)

2 answers to this question

I apologize for the frustration - I understand how it can get quite irritating during the modding process. No you are not wrong and you are certainly not an idiot. The guide is poorly worded and definitely needs to be revised. The truth of it is that the guide has only been under slight maintenance for about a year and half and there has not been anyone that has been actively maintaining the guide. EssArrBee got caught up in his own stuff and I don't blame him for not continuing the guide. MonoAccipter picked it up for a short while, but also got caught up in his life. I am planning on revamping the guide, but I don't know when that will be.

You are correct in that you would need to add the fonts manually and hide some folders. Except that UIO (User Interface Organizer) which is installed at the end of the User Interface section takes care of all this for you. You do not need to manually edit the fonts or hide any files when using UIO. In fact, the install order of HUD mods can be install in nearly any combination. When I start doing the guide again, UIO will be installed before the HUD section as to prevent this confusion.

I hope this helps. :)

Cheers,

Audley

• +1 1

I apologize for the frustration - I understand how it can get quite irritating during the modding process. No you are not wrong and you are certainly not an idiot. The guide is poorly worded and definitely needs to be revised. The truth of it is that the guide has only been under slight maintenance for about a year and half and there has not been anyone that has been actively maintaining the guide. EssArrBee got caught up in his own stuff and I don't blame him for not continuing the guide. MonoAccipter picked it up for a short while, but also got caught up in his life. I am planning on revamping the guide, but I don't know when that will be.

You are correct in that you would need to add the fonts manually and hide some folders. Except that UIO (User Interface Organizer) which is installed at the end of the User Interface section takes care of all this for you. You do not need to manually edit the fonts or hide any files when using UIO. In fact, the install order of HUD mods can be install in nearly any combination. When I start doing the guide again, UIO will be installed before the HUD section as to prevent this confusion.

I hope this helps. :)

Cheers,

Audley

I followed the guide to the letter and the instructions from scrivener07 here: https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/252570-darnified-ui-for-new-vegas/page-2. Should I expect some problems? I mean, I cannot really tell if all's fine. I see a plethora of options in MCM and everything seems working. The fonts are correct. Did I do the right thing? What are the things that are screwed up? What should I check?