• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Thac0

Thac0

Prisoner

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:02 AM

So this isn't really about S-A Step, but I wasn't sure where to post it. So I'm posting it here. I don't know how private you want to keep matters or how much the private forums just to keep the signal to noise ratio high. So I was wondering do we have/want a place to just kind of discuss the stuff below, or is it ok to post this stuff out in the open forums? My biggest hesitation is that it acknowledges a private area, which tends to alienate normal users. No one likes haven't those around them talk above their head like they don't exist. A) Can we get some sort of identification for the closed access forums? Could be as simple as moving them to their own area, or adding a new icon, or adding a (Private) tag to the name some how. B) Man you guys post alot. That's not a bad thing, but catching up is a chore. ^-^ Caught up on S-A/Thunderbolt. Now I'm working through the Wiki Projects section. Still got like 800 posts to go through. If it were mostly fluff or things that weren't relevant, I'd be ok with skipping it, but it's been really insightful. I'm staying away from the 2.2.1 changelog thread though. That's all on you. =P

#2 TechAngel85

TechAngel85

Akatosh

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,759 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:17 AM

So this isn't really about S-A Step, but I wasn't sure where to post it. So I'm posting it here.

I don't know how private you want to keep matters or how much the private forums just to keep the signal to noise ratio high. So I was wondering do we have/want a place to just kind of discuss the stuff below, or is it ok to post this stuff out in the open forums? My biggest hesitation is that it acknowledges a private area, which tends to alienate normal users. No one likes haven't those around them talk above their head like they don't exist.

A) Can we get some sort of identification for the closed access forums? Could be as simple as moving them to their own area, or adding a new icon, or adding a (Private) tag to the name some how.

B) Man you guys post alot. That's not a bad thing, but catching up is a chore. ^-^ Caught up on S-A/Thunderbolt. Now I'm working through the Wiki Projects section. Still got like 800 posts to go through. If it were mostly fluff or things that weren't relevant, I'd be ok with skipping it, but it's been really insightful. I'm staying away from the 2.2.1 changelog thread though. That's all on you. =P

A) The closed forums aren't visible to Guest (at least the Wiki Projects forum isn't). I'm not sure about register users though seeing I have access to all forums but the hidden ones. I stay out of a few like Data Talk because when I go in I get immediately confused. I think it would be a good idea to make all closed/private forums hidden to normal, registered users on the main forum page. This way we won't have to worry about this. The only ones that could see it is the ones that are suppose to see it. Everyone else wouldn't even know that the private forums are there. As far as discussion, I always assumed that what goes on behind closed doors, stays behind closed doors.

B) We get a little long winded sometime :teehee:, but only good things come out of it. I would recommend at least catching up on the last few pages of the 2.2.1 Change Log thread though. It's where most of the major discussions and decisions happen regarding the next release.

#3 Thac0

Thac0

Prisoner

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:31 AM

A) The closed forums aren't visible to Guest (at least the Wiki Projects forum isn't). I'm not sure about register users though seeing I have access to all forums but the hidden ones. I stay out of a few like Data Talk because when I go in I get immediately confused. I think it would be a good idea to make all closed/private forums hidden to normal, registered users on the main forum page. This way we won't have to worry about this. The only ones that could see it is the ones that are suppose to see it. Everyone else wouldn't even know that the private forums are there. As far as discussion, I always assumed that what goes on behind closed doors, stays behind closed doors.

The private forums (minus perhaps the open area of the S-A forum are all invisible to normal users. This is more as a visual reminder to remind those with access which areas aren't for public consumption. It helps me remember what to post where.

#4 stoppingby4now

stoppingby4now

Sleepy

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,281 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:25 PM

Restricted access for forums is in the description below the forum title.

#5 Thac0

Thac0

Prisoner

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:25 AM

s4n: It is, but the format isn't consistent. If each had a "tag" at the start of the description like (Restricted) or [Wiki Team], it would be noticeable at a glance. Or I can draw up some custom icons that play well with the current ones if the forums can handle them. Edit: Or I can live with it as is. ^-^

I'm almost done catching up with the wiki forum. Still got to get through the Semantic Wiki & Data Dictionary posts though. I was saving those for last. Yay mega-threads! ^-^ I do mean that in a playful way. I would be going through most of this information anyway, and it's all good information, but trying to reference it again would be troublesome. I would have never have guessed that the Mod pages thread would have information about hsimg in it. ^-^ 1200 posts down. 500 to go. Then on to the Wiki!

Oh and someone (;points at z) mentioned a dropbox cache? Can I get an invite to the share?

#6 stoppingby4now

stoppingby4now

Sleepy

• Administrators
  • 4,281 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:05 AM

That is a great suggestion about adding an identifier to the front of the description.

#7 Thac0

Thac0

Prisoner

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:33 AM

s4n: Woo! Looks great! Man, that make's more of a difference than I thought it was going to. The all caps helped. Might want to tag the Mod Testing forum too.

Edit: Looks like you're working on it now. Color too. I like. ^-^

#8 stoppingby4now

stoppingby4now

Sleepy

• Administrators
  • 4,281 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:35 AM

Added a little color too.

#9 Thac0

Thac0

Prisoner

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:22 PM

Yay, done reading the Wiki Projects forum. Now to skim over a few of the release forum threads. I think I've read a full length novel so far.

#10 z929669

z929669

Ixian Inventor

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,245 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:23 PM

Yep, trick is retaining the important stuff ...

#11 Farlo

Farlo

Dragon Prince

• Site Founders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,677 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:47 AM

Yay, done reading the Wiki Projects forum. Now to skim over a few of the release forum threads.

I think I've read a full length novel so far.

You read all of that!?!  Wow, you have much more patience than I.  Sometimes I look at our dev/admin threads and just can't believe that they reach 40-50 pages.

#12 Thac0

Thac0

Prisoner

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:12 AM

Yep, trick is retaining the important stuff ...

No, the trick is remembering where to find it again. ^_-

Yay, done reading the Wiki Projects forum. Now to skim over a few of the release forum threads.

I think I've read a full length novel so far.

You read all of that!?!  Wow, you have much more patience than I.  Sometimes I look at our dev/admin threads and just can't believe that they reach 40-50 pages.

I got scared there for the moment, until I remembered that you prob have the default 10 posts per page where I set mine to 50. Unless you set yours to 50 too. 0.o

The change log thread is about to crest 700 posts.

#13 Farlo

Farlo

Dragon Prince

• Site Founders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,677 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:56 PM

I got scared there for the moment, until I remembered that you prob have the default 10 posts per page where I set mine to 50. Unless you set yours to 50 too. 0.o

The change log thread is about to crest 700 posts.

Oh my Gods... I totally forgot you could change that... *facepalm*

#14 stoppingby4now

stoppingby4now

Sleepy

• Administrators
  • 4,281 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:03 PM

That's a lot of reading. Would drive me :wacko:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users