STEP:Core 2.2.9.2 - Missing some helmets on some females

rolandito

What I thought was an issue with one of the hair mods seems to actually be a problem with some of the helmets.

Specifically, none of the hold guard helmets render on female guard NPCs.  Nor do they render on Lydia, nor on my Breton female player character.  Instead of a helmet appearing when it's equipped, the actor's hair disappears.

I went to the Riften barracks and found two female guards sleeping with their bald heads (i.e. their Riften Guard Helmet was equipped), and ran this battery of tests for all of the helmets that are modified by the Improved Closed Face Helmets mod:

Steel Plate Helmet
Dwarven Helmet
Ebony Helmet
Daedric Helmet
Guard Helmet (Whiterun - 21615 )
Dragon Priest Mask ( Morokei - 61CB9 )
Nightingale Hood ( NPC version - 487D8 )

All of the helmets rendered properly, with the exception of the guard helmet and ebony helmet. This was also true when I tested them on my player character and on Lydia.

When equipping the ebony helmet, the actor's hair completely vanishes, leaving them looking like Mr. Clean...but equipping any of the hold guard helmets results in a bald dome surrounded by long stringy hair, making them look like Friar Tuck or a reverse-Skrillex.

Interestingly, the ebony helmet DID render properly for one of the female Riften guards, but did NOT for the other one (she had the "bald head" result).

Guard REFID 4583F = Successful render of ebony helmet
Guard REFID 45841 = NO render of ebony helmet (actor's hair vanishes only)

I followed the STEP:Core mod installation instructions to the letter.  LOOT has run, Bashed Patch has been created, etc.  I don't see any obvious conflicts when I load everything in TES5Edit, but I'm not a mod author or expert.

I'm stumped, and would appreciate any guidance.  ModOrganizer profile data is attached.

plugins.txt

modlist.txt

loadorder.txt

Sorry, Ignore my previous 2 posts. They are Pack: Everything + The Kitchen Sink comments.

I have too many web browser tabs open, and selected the wrong one.

Apparently I do not have permission to Edit (or delete) my own posts! What is the logic behind that decision ?

Sorry, Ignore my previous 2 posts. They are Pack: Everything + The Kitchen Sink comments.

I have too many web browser tabs open, and selected the wrong one.

Apparently I do not have permission to Edit (or delete) my own posts! What is the logic behind that decision ?

I think it's a time-based limitation.  I've been able to edit posts within 30 minutes of original posting, but coming back hours later the option to edit is no longer available.

We do no like users deleting their posts and we've had cases of users editing their posts out where valuable information was lost. Therefore, there is a time limit to being able to edit your own posts. Users have never been able to delete their own posts here at STEP. We can "elevate" members to be able to edit their posts at any time; however, this is not handed out to newer members.

I followed the STEP:Core mod installation instructions to the letter.  LOOT has run, Bashed Patch has been created, etc.  I don't see any obvious conflicts when I load everything in TES5Edit, but I'm not a mod author or expert.

I'm stumped, and would appreciate any guidance.  ModOrganizer profile data is attached.

You've added quite a lot of mods on top of STEP Core, so you need to load all the mods into TESVEdit and check for anything that's overriding or conflicting with Improved Closefaced Helmets. I see you've already posted on the Improved Closefaced Helmets topic on Nexus, so scroll up above your post and carefully read the post from Nazenn.

You've added quite a lot of mods on top of STEP Core, so you need to load all the mods into TESVEdit and check for anything that's overriding or conflicting with Improved Closefaced Helmets. I see you've already posted on the Improved Closefaced Helmets topic on Nexus, so scroll up above your post and carefully read the post from Nazenn.

Thanks, Greg.  I actually did read and follow the advice in Nazenn's post prior to reporting the issue.

Most of the mods I've added atop Core are the packrat mods (General Stores itself, plus the mods for player homes that enable GS activators), and a couple of gameplay mods (Thieves' Guild Redone, Helgen Reborn).  AFAIK, nothing modifies any armor in any way.  I noticed the bald-head guards before those were installed, though.  I wanted to play the first part of the game as the "vanilla" experience, so I didn't install them until after I'd already purchased Breezehome.

I've gone through with TES5Edit, loading all plugins and looking for conflicts, but not knowing the full details of how the engine renders things in-game, I only knew to look for the obvious, such as a conflict with the Ebony Helmet or Guard Helmets (see attachments).

What else should I be looking for?  Thanks again for any advice.

post-922-0-20609100-1487535002_thumb.jpg

post-922-0-44947700-1487535011_thumb.jpg

Some more experimentation:

I disabled CBBE, Bodyslide, and Sporty Sweat (just a specular map), then started a new game.  I picked the Breton female character and played to the point in Helgen Keep when your hands are cut free.

Then I cheated myself an ebony helmet and tried to equip it.  No dice, hair just vanished.

I pulled up the racemenu and cycled through the races, and the helmet rendered just fine on every damned one of them except the Breton female.

Wondering if it might be some sort of cached data issue (since my main character is a Breton female), I started another new game and chose the default Nord female and repeated the whole process.  This time the helmet rendered fine on ALL races, including Breton.

Curious, I tried with a Guard Helmet, since that one causes only the top of the hair to vanish, leaving the longer fringes in place.  The Guard Helmet does not render for any of the humanoid female races, but it renders fine for the Argonian & Khajiit females, and for ALL of the male races.

I then loaded up my current game character in Breezehome, used racemenu to change her to the default Nord female with an ebony helmet (rendered fine), then walked her outside.  I called up the racemenu again and switched her back to a Breton, albeit the default one.  The helmet rendered just fine.  I called up racemenu again and made a few changes to the nose/chin/hair using the sliders, and when I tried to equip the helmet, it was back to Mr. Clean.

I repeated the process, only this time I made the slider changes to my character while the ebony helmet was equipped, and it seemed to work fine.

So I have no idea what's happening.