Dynamic Distant Objects LOD - DynDOLOD 2.27

sheson

Question

A newer version of DynDOLOD is available

DynDOLOD 2.22/2.23/2.24/2.25/2.26/2.27 minor version update post | Major version update Post | Skyrim Special Edition

What’s New?

This update includes general performance and stability improvements for DynDOLOD.exe, TexGen.exe and LODGen.exe. See change log below for more info.

There is no need to update LOD generated by earlier versions just because the tools have been updated. See Full update post for 2.xx update instructions

TexGen.exe now offers changing the texture output formats for advanced users. Leave at default for typical use. To change the texture format of the texture atlases created by DynDOLOD.exe edit its INIs. See docs\DynDOLOD_TexGen.html for more info.

DynDOLOD.exe and LODGen.exe now offer to generate LOD Level 32 static object LOD without billboard trees, which can be used for the map. See docs\trees.ultra\DynDOLOD-Trees.html for more info.

All tools have been updated to support Skyrim SE. This is in beta and limited for obvious and well known reasons. It should only be used by experienced DynDOLOD users. See docs\DynDOLOD_Manual_SSE.html for more info. It explains the key differences and similarities, as well as the new features introduced by Skyrim SE and its bugs/problems.

Skyrim

Mods Requiring DynDOLOD

Enhanced Landscapes - Winter Edition - Includes billboards and LOD textures that need to overwrite vanilla billboards and DynDOLOD Resources - Core Files textures. If LOD textures are generated with TexGen.exe, they should always overwrite everything else.

Winter Aspen Billboards

Verified working out of the box - added/updated meshes and/or textures

Helarchen Creek

Realistic Boat Bobbing

Skysight - Simply Bigger Trees - Billboards

Dragon Bridge

DynDOLOD 2.26 - Download from Mega | DynDOLOD 2.26 - Download from Mega

DynDOLOD Resources 2.22 for Skyrim - Download from Mega

DynDOLOD Resources SE 2.22 for Skyrim SE - Download from Mega

DynDOLOD Patches 2.23 for Skyrim - Download from Mega

[spoiler=Changelog DynDOLOD 2.22]

General performance and stability improvements - for real

DynDOLOD.exe - fixed sometimes using wrong glow LOD when using original LOD assignments

DynDOLOD.exe - added RemoveUnseenZShift to ini for same setting in LODGen.exe export file

DynDOLOD.exe - added Level32 switch to ini for same switch in LODGen.exe export file, see docs\trees.ultra\DynDOLOD-Trees.html

DynDOLOD.exe - added FlatLODVertexColor to ini to set vertex color of flat LOD, see docs\trees.ultra\DynDOLOD-Trees.html

DynDOLOD.exe - added FlatLODColorVariance to ini to randomly change vertex color of flat LOD, see docs\trees.ultra\DynDOLOD-Trees.html

DynDOLOD.exe - added StaticLODDiffuseFormat, StaticLODNormalFormat, TreeLODDiffuseFormat and TreeLODNormalFormat to ini to set texture atlas formats

DynDOLOD.exe - added TreeLODAverageColor to ini to replace black transparent parts of billboards with the average tree color - works only with alpha channel output formats

DynDOLOD.exe - added TreeLODBackgroundTexture to ini to replace black transparent parts of billboards with a texture - works only with alpha channel output formats

DynDOLOD.exe - shrink normal map texture atlas to 4x4 pixels if all pixels are identical

DynDOLOD.exe - added beta support for SSE, start with -SSE command line argument

DynDOLOD.exe - added a check to verify DynDOLOD Resources for the current game mode are installed

TexGen.exe - sync updates with DynDOLOD.exe

TexGen.exe - added output format options for diffuse and normal textures

TexGen.exe - fixed cases of not consequently using lowercase for comparisons

TexGen.exe - added generation for riftenstonewall02lod.dds

TexGen.exe - added generation for tundradriftwoodbark01lod.dds

TexGen.exe - fixed generation of rubblepilelod.dds

TexGen.exe - fixed generation of fxdirtmound01lod.dds

TexGen.exe - removed the need for temp files in game data folder

TexGen.exe - added beta support for SSE, start with -SSE command line argument

TexGen.exe - added fallback to Texconv.exe for reading in case DDS format is not natively supported

Texconv.exe - new - custom silent version, prints errors only

LODGen.exe - added support reading SSE LOD nif

LODGen.exe - added export Mode=SSE

LODGen.exe - added support for BSA version 0x69

LODGen.exe - added lz4 decompression

LODGen.exe - added GameMode=textureslist to generate a list of textures with UV in between atlas tolerance

LODGen.exe - added command line parameter gamemode to overwrite gamemode in export file

LODGen.exe - updated lz4 package to latest version

LODGen.exe - better error message in case required Redistributable is missing

LODGen.exe - added Level32=True, uses *.nif from LOD level 16 if 4th entry is not set to create LOD Level 32 bto

LODGen.exe - added RemoveUnseenZShift=[float] to adjust terrain height when removing unseen faces

LODGen.exe - added vertex color support for flat LOD, column 8 and 9 in FlatTextures file

LODGen.exe - some minor speed improvements and clean up

LODGen.exe - use assembly version in log

DynDOLOD_Manual.html - all docs updated for new game mode

DynDOLOD_Manual_SSE.html - new

DynDOLOD-Shortcut.txt - new

DynDOLOD-Trees.html - added info about static object LOD level 32 for map

DynDOLOD-Trees.html - added info for vertex colors for 2D tree LOD in static LOD for Skyrim SE

DynDOLOD Resources - updated/added meshes/textures for better compatibility with mods

DynDOLOD Resources SE - new - meshes in new Skyrim SE format - removed options/assets that currently do not apply to Skyrim SE

DynDOLOD Patches - fixed a typo in Wizard.txt

[spoiler=Changelog DynDOLOD 2.23]

DynDOLOD.exe - fixed some default INI settings

DynDOLOD Patches - update Beyond Reach billboards to be also for arnima.esm

[spoiler=Changelog DynDOLOD 2.24]

DynDOLOD.exe - check LODGen log and write result to DynDOLOD log, so it is more obvious if something went wrong

LODGen.exe - fixed error reading BSTriShapes with no vertices/triangles

LODGen.exe - apply UVScale and UVOffset shader values to model before merging

[spoiler=Changelog DynDOLOD 2.25]

DynDOLOD.exe - fixed a memory corruption sometimes causing nasty things

DynDOLOD.exe - fixed an error trying to check a non existing LODGen log

LODGen.exe - fixed FO4 export mode not working correctly

LODGen.exe - updated lz4 package and supporting libraries to latest version

[spoiler=Changelog DynDOLOD 2.26]

LODGen.exe - fixed a crash caused by a missing serialization

[spoiler=Changelog DynDOLOD 2.27]

DynDOLOD.exe - fixed trying to check LODGen logfile after wait times out

DynDOLOD.exe - fixed not reading billboard txt file from BSA

LODGen.exe - updated lz4 package and supporting libraries to latest version

LODGen.exe - fixed sometimes not reading BA2 files correctly

See Full update post for full changelog, fully detailed update instructions and updated compatibility information for Skyrim mods.

DynDOLOD 2.21

Skryim typos may be intentional as long as Skyrim SE has severe visual and game breaking bugs

• +1 1

Thanks for helping out Sheson. Everything should be here.

That is (still) odd that LODGen would just stop like this. Can you check for the error in windows event viewer and copy/screenshot that?

Can you verify CPU/Memory/Temperatures/Cooling/Overclocking are not a factor?

Test if you can replicate that crash by just generating SkuldafnWorld for example (start with no DynDOLOD.esp in the load order)

If you get the exact same problem twice in a row while just generating for that small world space I would be more convinced this has something to do with a nif file - despite there being no error message at all.

Also if you could upload the files from ..\DynDOLOD\Edit Scripts\DynDOLOD\cache\*.* and ..DynDOLOD\Edit Scripts\Export\*.*

I can then start to replicate the load order and narrow it down to a handful of possible files and see if I can get the same error.

Edited by sheson

Hey Sheson. I will do all of that for you, but will be this weekend. I'm a PhD candidate in Artificial Intelligence and will be too busy tomorrow. Additionally, I'm not too good with Windows 10. How would I look for the vent we are looking for in event viewer? 

For you additionaly questions. I don't have any other processes running. Temperatures are just fine, and I'm running stock at the moment... no overclocking. Please also take into account that this is only happening when I'm trying to build 3d tree lods. Billboards work just fine. What I did notice is that the program locks up at different points during the proces... It's not always at the same LOD. Wouldn't that rule out the nif file idea? I guess the program is running them in a particular order and not random?

Since I'm writing to a completely diferent folder than the MO2 folders (G:/DynDOLOD_Output/) at least this can't be the problem. I have the feeling that it's a MO2 vs LODGen issue that has something to do with memory, but I'm not completely sure. 

I will upload the files here ASAP.

Don't worry about the time when you get it. I am here whenever. I might go ahead and rebuild the load order based on the log you already uploaded.

LODGen is multithreading different LOD levels and quads, so the order/time of when it reads/processes a specific nif and writes something to the log is not always the same.

The "silent" fail points to external problems yes but on the other hand it is very likely that it trips over some data it tries to process - it really should have some kind of message in its command prompt window though. I am just not ruling anything out.

I am not to sure where to find it in windows 10 either, but in older windows versions it would be enough to just hit start button and type "event" into search to have it list event viewer. Usually it is in control panel / administrative tools

In event viewer look for "application" then "application error" in windows logs ... assuming that the viewer is still comparable to my windows 7

Edited by sheson

Ok, so I got around to getting you the data. Same problems occurs when only running SkuldafnWorld. Data that is included with this post: zipped files from  ..\DynDOLOD\Edit Scripts\DynDOLOD\cache\*.* and ..DynDOLOD\Edit Scripts\Export\*.*. Event viewer log in spoiler.

[spoiler=Event Viewer]Log Name: Application
Source: Application Error
Date: 18-3-2017 14:44:51
Event ID: 1000
Task Category: (100)
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: ********
Description:
Faulting application name: LODGenx64.exe, version: 1.0.8.0, time stamp: 0x58bb33e0
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.14393.479, time stamp: 0x5825887f
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00000000000704d6
Faulting process id: 0x206c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d29fedceb7d67f
Faulting application path: G:\SSEEdit Output\Edit Scripts\LODGenx64.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report Id: 9a0bb76f-a3af-47e6-84d7-08d29adce7e3
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:
Event Xml:

0x80000000000000

Application

LODGenx64.exe
58bb33e0
ntdll.dll
5825887f
c0000005
00000000000704d6
206c
01d29fedceb7d67f
G:\SSEEdit Output\Edit Scripts\LODGenx64.exe
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
9a0bb76f-a3af-47e6-84d7-08d29adce7e3

Ok, so I got around to getting you the data. Same problems occurs when only running SkuldafnWorld. Data that is included with this post: zipped files from  ..\DynDOLOD\Edit Scripts\DynDOLOD\cache\*.* and ..DynDOLOD\Edit Scripts\Export\*.*. Event viewer log in spoiler.

[spoiler=Event Viewer]Log Name: Application

Source: Application Error

Date: 18-3-2017 14:44:51

Event ID: 1000

Task Category: (100)

Level: Error

Keywords: Classic

User: N/A

Computer: ********

Description:

Faulting application name: LODGenx64.exe, version: 1.0.8.0, time stamp: 0x58bb33e0

Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.14393.479, time stamp: 0x5825887f

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x00000000000704d6

Faulting process id: 0x206c

Faulting application start time: 0x01d29fedceb7d67f

Faulting application path: G:\SSEEdit Output\Edit Scripts\LODGenx64.exe

Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll

Report Id: 9a0bb76f-a3af-47e6-84d7-08d29adce7e3

Faulting package full name:

Faulting package-relative application ID:

Event Xml:

0x80000000000000

Application

LODGenx64.exe

58bb33e0

ntdll.dll

5825887f

c0000005

00000000000704d6

206c

01d29fedceb7d67f

G:\SSEEdit Output\Edit Scripts\LODGenx64.exe

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll

9a0bb76f-a3af-47e6-84d7-08d29adce7e3

Not seeing that zip file you speak of...

Which MO version are you using?

Can you test what happens when generating without starting from MO. If that works, see what happens if you create only vanilla/same setup (use a new profile) from within MO.

Edited by sheson

MO v.2.0.8.2.
Well considering the way that MO stores and loads files, it isnt really possible to run it outside of MO or I must be completely wrong.

Looks like I cant upload those zips. Too big for allowed size. Can I email them somewhere?

MO v.2.0.8.2.

Well considering the way that MO stores and loads files, it isnt really possible to run it outside of MO or I must be completely wrong.

Looks like I cant upload those zips. Too big for allowed size. Can I email them somewhere?

Try the latest 2.0.8.3b from February

Generate for the vanilla game from within MO to see if that works. if that does not work, generate without MO for the vanilla game.

Upload files to a file service or paste them to pastebin.

Edited by sheson

Send you a message with links for the files.

I've tried creating 3D lods for vanilla Skyrim through MO and that worked.

Got it. Thanks to all that info I was able to replicate the error. It turns out that running through MO somehow prevents that error message from being shown. Eventually I got it which makes things so much easier to diagnose :)

Download these updated LODGen.exe/LODGenx64.exe and replace the ones in "Edit Scripts". Hopefully things should run through now. Please let me know how it goes.

Note that you re trying to generate 3D tree LOD with the full models and not the included hybrids.

Hey Sheson, yes it works perfect now! Thanks a lot! What was the problem in the end?

Yes I wanted to ask. I RTFM ( ;) ) but I still don't completely get what the difference is between generating with full model or using Static Lod 4. And what does it mean for performance?

Hey Sheson, yes it works perfect now! Thanks a lot! What was the problem in the end?

Yes I wanted to ask. I RTFM ( ;) ) but I still don't completely get what the difference is between generating with full model or using Static Lod 4. And what does it mean for performance?

Great. LODGen failed to properly read a nif block in the new format.

The Static LOD4 settings uses less demanding 3D LOD trees ("hybrid" because they use 3D branches and 2D trunks) instead of the full modes. It is all explained in the ultra trees manual.

Guys, i think i found the problem...

I created LOD's for my SSE mods pack, placed output folders and .esp file in game folder. Laucnhing game for test. Everything is ok? - unfortunately no. As soon as i got a closer to Whiterun - game crashed. I deleted all DynDOLOD files, and run game again. Everything is stable. Where to look for the problem? A DynDOLOD logs is fine, all operations completed as normal.

Link to my DynDOLOD latest logs and output files (2 archive): https://yadi.sk/d/ao6BatqC3GPsHw

P.S. Sorry for my bad English, i from Russia.