Dynamic Distant Objects LOD - DynDOLOD 2.27

sheson

Question

A newer version of DynDOLOD is available

DynDOLOD 2.22/2.23/2.24/2.25/2.26/2.27 minor version update post | Major version update Post | Skyrim Special Edition

What’s New?

This update includes general performance and stability improvements for DynDOLOD.exe, TexGen.exe and LODGen.exe. See change log below for more info.

There is no need to update LOD generated by earlier versions just because the tools have been updated. See Full update post for 2.xx update instructions

TexGen.exe now offers changing the texture output formats for advanced users. Leave at default for typical use. To change the texture format of the texture atlases created by DynDOLOD.exe edit its INIs. See docs\DynDOLOD_TexGen.html for more info.

DynDOLOD.exe and LODGen.exe now offer to generate LOD Level 32 static object LOD without billboard trees, which can be used for the map. See docs\trees.ultra\DynDOLOD-Trees.html for more info.

All tools have been updated to support Skyrim SE. This is in beta and limited for obvious and well known reasons. It should only be used by experienced DynDOLOD users. See docs\DynDOLOD_Manual_SSE.html for more info. It explains the key differences and similarities, as well as the new features introduced by Skyrim SE and its bugs/problems.

Skyrim

Mods Requiring DynDOLOD

Enhanced Landscapes - Winter Edition - Includes billboards and LOD textures that need to overwrite vanilla billboards and DynDOLOD Resources - Core Files textures. If LOD textures are generated with TexGen.exe, they should always overwrite everything else.

Winter Aspen Billboards

Verified working out of the box - added/updated meshes and/or textures

Helarchen Creek

Realistic Boat Bobbing

Skysight - Simply Bigger Trees - Billboards

Dragon Bridge

DynDOLOD 2.26 - Download from Mega | DynDOLOD 2.26 - Download from Mega

DynDOLOD Resources 2.22 for Skyrim - Download from Mega

DynDOLOD Resources SE 2.22 for Skyrim SE - Download from Mega

DynDOLOD Patches 2.23 for Skyrim - Download from Mega

[spoiler=Changelog DynDOLOD 2.22]

General performance and stability improvements - for real

DynDOLOD.exe - fixed sometimes using wrong glow LOD when using original LOD assignments

DynDOLOD.exe - added RemoveUnseenZShift to ini for same setting in LODGen.exe export file

DynDOLOD.exe - added Level32 switch to ini for same switch in LODGen.exe export file, see docs\trees.ultra\DynDOLOD-Trees.html

DynDOLOD.exe - added FlatLODVertexColor to ini to set vertex color of flat LOD, see docs\trees.ultra\DynDOLOD-Trees.html

DynDOLOD.exe - added FlatLODColorVariance to ini to randomly change vertex color of flat LOD, see docs\trees.ultra\DynDOLOD-Trees.html

DynDOLOD.exe - added StaticLODDiffuseFormat, StaticLODNormalFormat, TreeLODDiffuseFormat and TreeLODNormalFormat to ini to set texture atlas formats

DynDOLOD.exe - added TreeLODAverageColor to ini to replace black transparent parts of billboards with the average tree color - works only with alpha channel output formats

DynDOLOD.exe - added TreeLODBackgroundTexture to ini to replace black transparent parts of billboards with a texture - works only with alpha channel output formats

DynDOLOD.exe - shrink normal map texture atlas to 4x4 pixels if all pixels are identical

DynDOLOD.exe - added beta support for SSE, start with -SSE command line argument

DynDOLOD.exe - added a check to verify DynDOLOD Resources for the current game mode are installed

TexGen.exe - sync updates with DynDOLOD.exe

TexGen.exe - added output format options for diffuse and normal textures

TexGen.exe - fixed cases of not consequently using lowercase for comparisons

TexGen.exe - added generation for riftenstonewall02lod.dds

TexGen.exe - added generation for tundradriftwoodbark01lod.dds

TexGen.exe - fixed generation of rubblepilelod.dds

TexGen.exe - fixed generation of fxdirtmound01lod.dds

TexGen.exe - removed the need for temp files in game data folder

TexGen.exe - added beta support for SSE, start with -SSE command line argument

TexGen.exe - added fallback to Texconv.exe for reading in case DDS format is not natively supported

Texconv.exe - new - custom silent version, prints errors only

LODGen.exe - added support reading SSE LOD nif

LODGen.exe - added export Mode=SSE

LODGen.exe - added support for BSA version 0x69

LODGen.exe - added lz4 decompression

LODGen.exe - added GameMode=textureslist to generate a list of textures with UV in between atlas tolerance

LODGen.exe - added command line parameter gamemode to overwrite gamemode in export file

LODGen.exe - updated lz4 package to latest version

LODGen.exe - better error message in case required Redistributable is missing

LODGen.exe - added Level32=True, uses *.nif from LOD level 16 if 4th entry is not set to create LOD Level 32 bto

LODGen.exe - added RemoveUnseenZShift=[float] to adjust terrain height when removing unseen faces

LODGen.exe - added vertex color support for flat LOD, column 8 and 9 in FlatTextures file

LODGen.exe - some minor speed improvements and clean up

LODGen.exe - use assembly version in log

DynDOLOD_Manual.html - all docs updated for new game mode

DynDOLOD_Manual_SSE.html - new

DynDOLOD-Shortcut.txt - new

DynDOLOD-Trees.html - added info about static object LOD level 32 for map

DynDOLOD-Trees.html - added info for vertex colors for 2D tree LOD in static LOD for Skyrim SE

DynDOLOD Resources - updated/added meshes/textures for better compatibility with mods

DynDOLOD Resources SE - new - meshes in new Skyrim SE format - removed options/assets that currently do not apply to Skyrim SE

DynDOLOD Patches - fixed a typo in Wizard.txt

[spoiler=Changelog DynDOLOD 2.23]

DynDOLOD.exe - fixed some default INI settings

DynDOLOD Patches - update Beyond Reach billboards to be also for arnima.esm

[spoiler=Changelog DynDOLOD 2.24]

DynDOLOD.exe - check LODGen log and write result to DynDOLOD log, so it is more obvious if something went wrong

LODGen.exe - fixed error reading BSTriShapes with no vertices/triangles

LODGen.exe - apply UVScale and UVOffset shader values to model before merging

[spoiler=Changelog DynDOLOD 2.25]

DynDOLOD.exe - fixed a memory corruption sometimes causing nasty things

DynDOLOD.exe - fixed an error trying to check a non existing LODGen log

LODGen.exe - fixed FO4 export mode not working correctly

LODGen.exe - updated lz4 package and supporting libraries to latest version

[spoiler=Changelog DynDOLOD 2.26]

LODGen.exe - fixed a crash caused by a missing serialization

[spoiler=Changelog DynDOLOD 2.27]

DynDOLOD.exe - fixed trying to check LODGen logfile after wait times out

DynDOLOD.exe - fixed not reading billboard txt file from BSA

LODGen.exe - updated lz4 package and supporting libraries to latest version

LODGen.exe - fixed sometimes not reading BA2 files correctly

See Full update post for full changelog, fully detailed update instructions and updated compatibility information for Skyrim mods.

DynDOLOD 2.21

Skryim typos may be intentional as long as Skyrim SE has severe visual and game breaking bugs

• +1 1

Forum search did not find this error, so I am posting it here.

1. Preset: High

2. Custom mesh rules: both on top of the other preset mesh rules ("order matters")

landscape\mountains\

LOD 4: full model

LOD 8: static LOD 4

LOD 16: static LOD 8

Visible when distant: checked

Grid: blank

Reference: unchanged

landscape\unique\

Problem seems to appear with vwd checked. If unchecked the result seems to ignore the custom mesh rule options (= using no full model for LOD 4) and removes LOD entirely for all mountains.

Log attached to this post.

DynDOLOD_TES5_log.txt

Edited by Letho

Forum search did not find this error, so I am posting it here.

1. Preset: High

2. Custom mesh rules: both on top of the other preset mesh rules ("order matters")

landscape\mountains\

landscape\unique\

Problem seems to appear with vwd checked. If unchecked the result seems to ignore the custom mesh rule options (= using no full model for LOD 4) and removes LOD entirely for all mountains.

Log attached to this post.

After such a rules change you should generate LOD from scratch. 

I suggest to set Grid to Far LOD or maybe to Far Full even, there may actually be a handful of references that could use it. With default settings they were Far LOD before anyways.

I like to have your existing DynDOLOD.esp that yo tried to update to see if I can do something about that error. If you could upload it somewhere.

After such a rules change you should generate LOD from scratch.

I don't understand what "generate LOD from scratch" means. Before I try another LOD setting, I do as your M.C.M. and the manual say:

1. I go into an interoir (Morvunskar), save there.

2. deactivate and delete dyndolod_output.esp using Nexus Mod Manager.

3. Load my savegame created in 1.

4. Save again.

5. Create new LOD with DynDOLOD using different settings. (this is where the bug occured)

6. install the new dyndolod_output.esp

7. Load the game

Isn't this "from scratch", as I do not overwrite existing LOD settings?

I like to have your existing DynDOLOD.esp that yo tried to update to see if I can do something about that error. If you could upload it somewhere.

As the 7 steps show, the .esp that is getting updated by the new one is always deleted before I install new LOD.

I suggest to set Grid to Far LOD or maybe to Far Full even, there may actually be a handful of references that could use it.

I will give it a try, thx!

Edited by Letho

I don't understand what "generate LOD from scratch" means. Before I try another LOD setting, I do as your M.C.M. and the manual say:

1. I go into an interoir (Morvunskar), save there.

2. deactivate and delete dyndolod_output.esp using Nexus Mod Manager.

3. Load my savegame created in 1.

4. Save again.

5. Create new LOD with DynDOLOD using different settings. (this is where the bug occured)

6. install the new dyndolod_output.esp

7. Load the game

Isn't this "from scratch", as I do not overwrite existing LOD settings?

As the 7 steps show, the .esp that is getting updated by the new one is always deleted before I install new LOD.

I will give it a try, thx!

The log shows there is an existing DynDOLOD.esp in the load order when you started DynDOLOD.exe.

From scratch means that there should be no old DynDOLOD.esp when start DynDOLOD.exe, so that everything is created new. So your step 2. means keep the old DynDOLOD.esp deactivated/deleted.

Edited by sheson

Hi sheson, i'm trying to generate dyndolod medium preset with ultra trees EVT

sadly the software runs out of memory during falskaar.

(TreeLOD is on 0)

(followed instructions from EVT to configure it : https://i.imgur.com/6KQHXJb.jpg )

here is the end of the log (where it crashed) https://pastebin.com/BX9rPFDz

falskaar textures were optimized with ddsopt following SRLE LOTD guide. (wonder if that does something)

the software eats more and more memory until crash ofc.

Thanks for the help you can provide.

Hi sheson, i'm trying to generate dyndolod medium preset with ultra trees EVT

sadly the software runs out of memory during falskaar.

(TreeLOD is on 0)

(followed instructions from EVT to configure it : https://i.imgur.com/6KQHXJb.jpg )

here is the end of the log (where it crashed) https://pastebin.com/BX9rPFDz

falskaar textures were optimized with ddsopt following SRLE LOTD guide. (wonder if that does something)

the software eats more and more memory until crash ofc.

Thanks for the help you can provide.

Try this test version https://mega.nz/#!Bc5gmArQ!IzFTE3LCFLYPSlXdUzfVXcs2YiVV0qy4-W3-L1_o7Hw

Check this thread https://forum.step-project.com/topic/12183-error-out-of-memory/?hl=+out%20+memory

If none of that helps, try to generate the problematic worldspace all by itself. If it runs through then, install output as normal. Then start DynDOLOD.exe with the DynDOLOD.esp in the load order and generate LOD for the remaining worldspaces. Install new output, overwriting any old output files, including DynDOLOD.esp.

Edited by sheson
  • +1 1

2D tree LOD is done by xEdit/TES5LODGen on which DynDOLOD is build.

If there are LOD trees without full models, generate tree LOD for the current load order. Make sure none of the generated *.btt are overwritten by other mods. 2D tree LOD generation only generates tree LOD for tree references existing in the load order at the time of generation.

FAQ: Tree LOD: LOD trees show in child worlds / towns

A: This is a game engine limitation. A mod added trees into the same area in the parent world. Either disable that mod when generating tree LOD, or add a XESP - Enable Parent to the player reference 0x00000014 to each tree in question. Tree LOD generation skips all trees with enable parents leaving them to be done as static or dynamic LOD which don't have the limitation.

In this case USLEEP adds duplicate trees into the Solitude Worldspace to cover up LOD trees from the Tamriel worldspace that do not unload, because of that limitation.

Edit: Looks like an unintended duplication in USLEEP. It is doing it for a few trees around Solitude, but only a few have that problem. I will try to clean that up and submit an update.

Edited by sheson
  • +1 1

Hi, I'm having some issues with the installation process, both TextGen and DynDOLOD seem to run successfully, except dyndolod can't read some log files at the end of the installation. Here's the relevant part of the log, I verified that these log files don't seem to be generated at all.

[00:05:21.977]	Checking G:\DynDOLOD\Logs\LODGen_TES5_Tamriel_log.txt
[00:05:21.987]	LODGen.exe can not find logfile G:\DynDOLOD\Logs\LODGen_TES5_Tamriel_log.txt
[00:05:21.997]	Checking G:\DynDOLOD\Logs\LODGen_TES5_DLC2SolstheimWorld_log.txt
[00:05:22.007]	LODGen.exe can not find logfile G:\DynDOLOD\Logs\LODGen_TES5_DLC2SolstheimWorld_log.txt
[00:05:22.016]	Checking G:\DynDOLOD\Logs\LODGen_TES5_MarkarthWorld_log.txt
[00:05:22.027]	LODGen.exe can not find logfile G:\DynDOLOD\Logs\LODGen_TES5_MarkarthWorld_log.txt
[00:05:22.036]	Checking G:\DynDOLOD\Logs\LODGen_TES5_DLC01SoulCairn_log.txt
[00:05:22.046]	LODGen.exe can not find logfile G:\DynDOLOD\Logs\LODGen_TES5_DLC01SoulCairn_log.txt
[00:05:22.056]	Checking G:\DynDOLOD\Logs\LODGen_TES5_DLC2ApocryphaWorld_log.txt
[00:05:22.065]	LODGen.exe can not find logfile G:\DynDOLOD\Logs\LODGen_TES5_DLC2ApocryphaWorld_log.txt
[00:05:22.075]	Checking G:\DynDOLOD\Logs\LODGen_TES5_SkuldafnWorld_log.txt
[00:05:22.085]	LODGen.exe can not find logfile G:\DynDOLOD\Logs\LODGen_TES5_SkuldafnWorld_log.txt
[00:05:22.094]	Checking G:\DynDOLOD\Logs\LODGen_TES5_Sovngarde_log.txt
[00:05:22.103]	LODGen.exe can not find logfile G:\DynDOLOD\Logs\LODGen_TES5_Sovngarde_log.txt
[00:05:22.114]	Checking G:\DynDOLOD\Logs\LODGen_TES5_DeepwoodRedoubtWorld_log.txt
[00:05:22.124]	LODGen.exe can not find logfile G:\DynDOLOD\Logs\LODGen_TES5_DeepwoodRedoubtWorld_log.txt
[00:05:22.133]	Checking G:\DynDOLOD\Logs\LODGen_TES5_DLC1HunterHQWorld_log.txt
[00:05:22.144]	LODGen.exe can not find logfile G:\DynDOLOD\Logs\LODGen_TES5_DLC1HunterHQWorld_log.txt
[00:05:22.153]	Checking G:\DynDOLOD\Logs\LODGen_TES5_Blackreach_log.txt
[00:05:22.164]	LODGen.exe can not find logfile G:\DynDOLOD\Logs\LODGen_TES5_Blackreach_log.txt
[00:05:22.174]	Checking G:\DynDOLOD\Logs\LODGen_TES5_JaphetsFollyWorld_log.txt
[00:05:22.184]	LODGen.exe can not find logfile G:\DynDOLOD\Logs\LODGen_TES5_JaphetsFollyWorld_log.txt
[00:05:22.194]	Checking G:\DynDOLOD\Logs\LODGen_TES5_DLC01FalmerValley_log.txt
[00:05:22.204]	LODGen.exe can not find logfile G:\DynDOLOD\Logs\LODGen_TES5_DLC01FalmerValley_log.txt
[00:05:22.214]	
[00:05:22.224]	DynDOLOD Worlds completed successfully.
[00:06:42.076]	[00:00] Saving: DynDOLOD.esp
[00:06:43.339]	[00:01] Done saving.
[00:06:43.348]	Saving: Settings
[00:06:43.358]	Saving: Logs

This seems to result in distant terrain meshes like roads and cliffs not being drawn in game or generated. Both windmills and waterfalls can be seen animated from a long distance, but rest of the terrain appears same as in vanilla.

Here's another snippet that might be relevant:

[00:00:12.949]	Loading preset from G:\DynDOLOD\Edit Scripts\DynDOLOD\DynDOLOD_TES5_LODGen preset default.ini
[00:00:12.959]	G:\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim\Data\ Not allowed!

Relevant info:

Skyrim Legendary Edition

No mods other than the required ones

Mod Organizer 1.3.11

dyndolod 2.26

DynDOLOD_TES5_log.txt

TexGen_TES5_log.txt

Hi, I'm having some issues with the installation process, both TextGen and DynDOLOD seem to run successfully, except dyndolod can't read some log files at the end of the installation. Here's the relevant part of the log, I verified that these log files don't seem to be generated at all.

[00:05:21.977]	Checking G:\DynDOLOD\Logs\LODGen_TES5_Tamriel_log.txt
[00:05:21.987]	LODGen.exe can not find logfile G:\DynDOLOD\Logs\LODGen_TES5_Tamriel_log.txt
This seems to result in distant terrain meshes like roads and cliffs not being drawn in game or generated. Both windmills and waterfalls can be seen animated from a long distance, but rest of the terrain appears same as in vanilla.

That means LODGen.exe does not run and can not generate static object LOD.

Open a command prompt (add binary C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe to MO Executables) and copy/paste (click c:\icon top left of command prompt window, Edit, Paste, or enable quick edit mode to use right mouse button) this single line and see what happens when you try to execute

"G:\DynDOLOD\Edit Scripts\LODGen.exe" --inputfile "G:\DynDOLOD\Edit Scripts\Export\LODGen_TES5_Tamriel.txt" --logfile "G:\DynDOLOD\Logs\LODGen_TES5_Tamriel_log.txt" --dontFixTangents --removeUnseenFaces --skyblivionTexPath

See what happens. There could be something preventing it from starting etc.

Edited by sheson

Hi, your command didn't give any output.

"G:\DynDOLOD\Edit Scripts\LODGen.exe" --inputfile "G:\DynDOLOD\Edit Scripts\Export\LODGen_TES5_Tamriel.txt" --logfile "G:\DynDOLOD\Logs\LODGen_TES5_Tamriel_log.txt" --dontFixTangents --removeUnseenFaces --skyblivionTexPath

Then I decided to try running DynDOLOD/Edit Scripts/LODGen.exe through windows explorer. It threw an error about a missing .NET framework version 4.0.XX.

I installed .NET version 4.0 from here: https://www.microsoft.com/net/download/framework

And now both the command and dyndolod run successfully.

Hi, your command didn't give any output.

Then I decided to try running DynDOLOD/Edit Scripts/LODGen.exe through windows explorer. It threw an error about a missing .NET framework version 4.0.XX.

I installed .NET version 4.0 from here: https://www.microsoft.com/net/download/framework

And now both the command and dyndolod run successfully.

Is that a Windows 7 default installation? I thought it already had 4.0, but it seems it comes with 3.5.

Edited by sheson

Beyond Skyrim - Bruma

The current available download of Beyond Skyrim - Bruma does not contains all cells, references or LOD models that were used to generate the included LOD.

This affects the southern non-accessible area.

TES5LODGen/SSELODGen/DynDOLOD can only generate LOD for trees and objects for which references exist in the plugins. For users generating their own LOD to match their load order this has some side effects:

If generating tree LOD, the existing tree LOD "meshes" in the south will not be overwritten. They may use the wrong LOD tree from the index, but overall that should be OK, since the player wont get there.

If generating object LOD, the map and the larger lod levels will miss some objects to the south which are part of the included object LOD. Unfortunately the missing cell data does not cut off at a 32 cell group, so there is a obvious gab when it is known what to look for.

The next update of DynDOLOD will know about the mod and make a best effort LOD generation. However, by default the BSHeartland worldspace will be ignored for now while the mods lacks the required data and resources to correctly generate LOD for a user load order.

Beyond Skyrim - Bruma Tree LOD billboards (Skyrim) by mobiusbelmont

Beyond Skyrim - Bruma Tree LOD billboards (Skyrim Special Edition) by mobiusbelmont

Bigger Heartland Aspens for Beyond Skyrim Bruma by mobiusbelmont

Imperial City LOD fix for custom lods (Beyond skyrim Bruma) by C0331 AKA Privata

Check this thread for more disucssion

Edited by sheson