Dynamic Distant Objects LOD - DynDOLOD 2.27

sheson

Question

A newer version of DynDOLOD is available

DynDOLOD 2.22/2.23/2.24/2.25/2.26/2.27 minor version update post | Major version update Post | Skyrim Special Edition

What’s New?

This update includes general performance and stability improvements for DynDOLOD.exe, TexGen.exe and LODGen.exe. See change log below for more info.

There is no need to update LOD generated by earlier versions just because the tools have been updated. See Full update post for 2.xx update instructions

TexGen.exe now offers changing the texture output formats for advanced users. Leave at default for typical use. To change the texture format of the texture atlases created by DynDOLOD.exe edit its INIs. See docs\DynDOLOD_TexGen.html for more info.

DynDOLOD.exe and LODGen.exe now offer to generate LOD Level 32 static object LOD without billboard trees, which can be used for the map. See docs\trees.ultra\DynDOLOD-Trees.html for more info.

All tools have been updated to support Skyrim SE. This is in beta and limited for obvious and well known reasons. It should only be used by experienced DynDOLOD users. See docs\DynDOLOD_Manual_SSE.html for more info. It explains the key differences and similarities, as well as the new features introduced by Skyrim SE and its bugs/problems.

Skyrim

Mods Requiring DynDOLOD

Enhanced Landscapes - Winter Edition - Includes billboards and LOD textures that need to overwrite vanilla billboards and DynDOLOD Resources - Core Files textures. If LOD textures are generated with TexGen.exe, they should always overwrite everything else.

Winter Aspen Billboards

Verified working out of the box - added/updated meshes and/or textures

Helarchen Creek

Realistic Boat Bobbing

Skysight - Simply Bigger Trees - Billboards

Dragon Bridge

DynDOLOD 2.26 - Download from Mega | DynDOLOD 2.26 - Download from Mega

DynDOLOD Resources 2.22 for Skyrim - Download from Mega

DynDOLOD Resources SE 2.22 for Skyrim SE - Download from Mega

DynDOLOD Patches 2.23 for Skyrim - Download from Mega

[spoiler=Changelog DynDOLOD 2.22]

General performance and stability improvements - for real

DynDOLOD.exe - fixed sometimes using wrong glow LOD when using original LOD assignments

DynDOLOD.exe - added RemoveUnseenZShift to ini for same setting in LODGen.exe export file

DynDOLOD.exe - added Level32 switch to ini for same switch in LODGen.exe export file, see docs\trees.ultra\DynDOLOD-Trees.html

DynDOLOD.exe - added FlatLODVertexColor to ini to set vertex color of flat LOD, see docs\trees.ultra\DynDOLOD-Trees.html

DynDOLOD.exe - added FlatLODColorVariance to ini to randomly change vertex color of flat LOD, see docs\trees.ultra\DynDOLOD-Trees.html

DynDOLOD.exe - added StaticLODDiffuseFormat, StaticLODNormalFormat, TreeLODDiffuseFormat and TreeLODNormalFormat to ini to set texture atlas formats

DynDOLOD.exe - added TreeLODAverageColor to ini to replace black transparent parts of billboards with the average tree color - works only with alpha channel output formats

DynDOLOD.exe - added TreeLODBackgroundTexture to ini to replace black transparent parts of billboards with a texture - works only with alpha channel output formats

DynDOLOD.exe - shrink normal map texture atlas to 4x4 pixels if all pixels are identical

DynDOLOD.exe - added beta support for SSE, start with -SSE command line argument

DynDOLOD.exe - added a check to verify DynDOLOD Resources for the current game mode are installed

TexGen.exe - sync updates with DynDOLOD.exe

TexGen.exe - added output format options for diffuse and normal textures

TexGen.exe - fixed cases of not consequently using lowercase for comparisons

TexGen.exe - added generation for riftenstonewall02lod.dds

TexGen.exe - added generation for tundradriftwoodbark01lod.dds

TexGen.exe - fixed generation of rubblepilelod.dds

TexGen.exe - fixed generation of fxdirtmound01lod.dds

TexGen.exe - removed the need for temp files in game data folder

TexGen.exe - added beta support for SSE, start with -SSE command line argument

TexGen.exe - added fallback to Texconv.exe for reading in case DDS format is not natively supported

Texconv.exe - new - custom silent version, prints errors only

LODGen.exe - added support reading SSE LOD nif

LODGen.exe - added export Mode=SSE

LODGen.exe - added support for BSA version 0x69

LODGen.exe - added lz4 decompression

LODGen.exe - added GameMode=textureslist to generate a list of textures with UV in between atlas tolerance

LODGen.exe - added command line parameter gamemode to overwrite gamemode in export file

LODGen.exe - updated lz4 package to latest version

LODGen.exe - better error message in case required Redistributable is missing

LODGen.exe - added Level32=True, uses *.nif from LOD level 16 if 4th entry is not set to create LOD Level 32 bto

LODGen.exe - added RemoveUnseenZShift=[float] to adjust terrain height when removing unseen faces

LODGen.exe - added vertex color support for flat LOD, column 8 and 9 in FlatTextures file

LODGen.exe - some minor speed improvements and clean up

LODGen.exe - use assembly version in log

DynDOLOD_Manual.html - all docs updated for new game mode

DynDOLOD_Manual_SSE.html - new

DynDOLOD-Shortcut.txt - new

DynDOLOD-Trees.html - added info about static object LOD level 32 for map

DynDOLOD-Trees.html - added info for vertex colors for 2D tree LOD in static LOD for Skyrim SE

DynDOLOD Resources - updated/added meshes/textures for better compatibility with mods

DynDOLOD Resources SE - new - meshes in new Skyrim SE format - removed options/assets that currently do not apply to Skyrim SE

DynDOLOD Patches - fixed a typo in Wizard.txt

[spoiler=Changelog DynDOLOD 2.23]

DynDOLOD.exe - fixed some default INI settings

DynDOLOD Patches - update Beyond Reach billboards to be also for arnima.esm

[spoiler=Changelog DynDOLOD 2.24]

DynDOLOD.exe - check LODGen log and write result to DynDOLOD log, so it is more obvious if something went wrong

LODGen.exe - fixed error reading BSTriShapes with no vertices/triangles

LODGen.exe - apply UVScale and UVOffset shader values to model before merging

[spoiler=Changelog DynDOLOD 2.25]

DynDOLOD.exe - fixed a memory corruption sometimes causing nasty things

DynDOLOD.exe - fixed an error trying to check a non existing LODGen log

LODGen.exe - fixed FO4 export mode not working correctly

LODGen.exe - updated lz4 package and supporting libraries to latest version

[spoiler=Changelog DynDOLOD 2.26]

LODGen.exe - fixed a crash caused by a missing serialization

[spoiler=Changelog DynDOLOD 2.27]

DynDOLOD.exe - fixed trying to check LODGen logfile after wait times out

DynDOLOD.exe - fixed not reading billboard txt file from BSA

LODGen.exe - updated lz4 package and supporting libraries to latest version

LODGen.exe - fixed sometimes not reading BA2 files correctly

See Full update post for full changelog, fully detailed update instructions and updated compatibility information for Skyrim mods.

DynDOLOD 2.21

Skryim typos may be intentional as long as Skyrim SE has severe visual and game breaking bugs

• +1 1

First of all congratulations by creating this tool, I have CTDs at Solitude docks, my game runs smoothly but when I approach that area I get a crash.

Sorry for my English ::):

FAQ: Skyrim: ILS or CTD

A: More LOD uses more memory and this can cause infinite loading screen (ILS) or crash to desktop (CTD) if the game is not setup correctly. Double check heap memory usage (block 1) with Memory Blocks Log from https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/50471/ and adjust SKSE or SSME memory settings. Or use alternative OSAllocator from crash fixes with pre-loader. Remove satefy-load if it is used to verify it doesn't cause CTD. Set ExpandSystemMemoryX64=false in enblocal.ini

If heap memory is not the cause of CTD see Docs\ DynDOLOD-README.txt for checking if a missing or invalid nif model used for dynamic LOD is the cause.

Hey hey hey. So I'm gonna run this now. Before I follow the STEP guide to the letter but I'm just wondering what has changed for SE?

Is it still as simple as

Download Texute LODs

Download Dyndolod

Slap the scripts into xEdit

Run TesGenLOD thingys

install

Then run dyndolod proper,

install

Enjoy the distant views?

Hey hey hey. So I'm gonna run this now. Before I follow the STEP guide to the letter but I'm just wondering what has changed for SE?

Is it still as simple as

Download Texute LODs

Download Dyndolod

Slap the scripts into xEdit

Run TesGenLOD thingys

install

Then run dyndolod proper,

install

Enjoy the distant views?

That list is not how you do things for Skyrim or Skyrim SE. I suggest to read the included documentation and docs\DynDOLOD_Manual_SSE.html in particular. Also have a look at this thread https://forum.step-project.com/topic/11518-dyndolod-skyrim-special-edition/

That list is not how you do things for Skyrim or Skyrim SE. I suggest to read the included documentation and docs\DynDOLOD_Manual_SSE.html in particular. Also have a look at this thread https://forum.step-project.com/topic/11518-dyndolod-skyrim-special-edition/

Got it in the end thanks. Looks great. Totally missed the part about slapping on -sse in M.O cause I didn't RTFM. Good job mister!

Sheson regarding bruma tree lod generation, can I generate trees alone with dyndolod with 3d lods enabled ?

Tried unchecking static lods and dyndolod but nothing happened ?

Or should I just stick with tes5lodgen for that specific world

Edited by Monobloc

Sheson regarding bruma tree lod generation, can I generate trees alone with dyndolod with 3d lods enabled ?

Tried unchecking static lods and dyndolod but nothing happened ?

Or should I just stick with tes5lodgen for that specific world

3D tree LOD uses the static object LOD for 3D trees. It disables the 2D tree LOD system.

It does not matter if 2D tree LOD is generated with TES5LODGen or DynDOLOD, they should be about the same.

thanks for all your miraculous work Sheson!

was wondering if Dyndolod would help w/ this mod...

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/41279/?

great lil Trainwiz mod that makes ships actually sail into towns depending on time of day. used to use it but as u walked towards a town, the ships would pop-in depending on time of day, and their pop-in was disconcerting. Dyndo has helped so much w/ town pop-in and other, that i thought it might work on the ships. but not sure since they are not static and actually move

thanks for all your miraculous work Sheson!

was wondering if Dyndolod would help w/ this mod...

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/41279/?

great lil Trainwiz mod that makes ships actually sail into towns depending on time of day. used to use it but as u walked towards a town, the ships would pop-in depending on time of day, and their pop-in was disconcerting. Dyndo has helped so much w/ town pop-in and other, that i thought it might work on the ships. but not sure since they are not static and actually move

If I remember correctly it is not possible to use "TranslateTo" on persistent references - they just won't move. The "TranslateTo" is the the function to keep the ships moving. Persistence is required for the IsFullLOD (Neverfade) flag to work. If someone discovered a workaround, then please let me know.

If that can be figured out, then DynDOLOD can be used to patch the references to the required flags. The scripts need to be updated as well, they have something in them about distance of the ships to be close to player in order for the ships to show up in the first place.

Edited by sheson

Hi Sheson, this isn't a DynDOLOD specific question so please excuse the intrusion here, but I figured you were probably the best person to ask.

What exactly happens when you enter the Tamriel worldspace cells which contain one of the cities with it's own seperate worldspace?  I ask because I am crashing in Tamriel as soon as I try to cross into any of the cells in which Windhelm sits.  Doesn't matter which cell I approach from, with tb consoled to show the cell boundaries as soon as I get to any of the cells containing part of the city I crash.  Everywhere else the game plays perfectly, including the other big cities, so I am pretty sure it's not memory related.  If I coc into Windhelm itself it also crashes, so I am assuming it's something in the WindhelmWorld worldspace that's causing it.  I was just wanting to understand what the 'loading in' process is as you enter those exterior cells to try and give me some idea of what I should be looking for (or at least what I can discount from my search in terms of NPCs etc within Windhelm, etc).

qaWvtmB.jpg

Hi Sheson, this isn't a DynDOLOD specific question so please excuse the intrusion here, but I figured you were probably the best person to ask.

What exactly happens when you enter the Tamriel worldspace cells which contain one of the cities with it's own seperate worldspace?  I ask because I am crashing in Tamriel as soon as I try to cross into any of the cells in which Windhelm sits.  Doesn't matter which cell I approach from, with tb consoled to show the cell boundaries as soon as I get to any of the cells containing part of the city I crash.  Everywhere else the game plays perfectly, including the other big cities, so I am pretty sure it's not memory related.  If I coc into Windhelm itself it also crashes, so I am assuming it's something in the WindhelmWorld worldspace that's causing it.  I was just wanting to understand what the 'loading in' process is as you enter those exterior cells to try and give me some idea of what I should be looking for (or at least what I can discount from my search in terms of NPCs etc within Windhelm, etc).

It loads the tempoary cells that are defined in the Tamriel worldspace. AFAIK the temporary cells defined to the child worldspace with the same coordinates do not matter at this point. The temporary cells of the child worldspace are only loaded when entering the child worldspace, superseding the temporary cells of the Tamriel parent worldspace.

The persistent cells of all child worldspaces are always loaded together with the persistent cell of the parent worldspace. They seem to act like one and the same.

Crash fixes is not reporting a problem with a nif? Then maybe a deleted record or a navemesh problem. If the crash is that reproducible, you should be able to determine the coordinates of a handful of cells that attach when the CTD occurs. Find them in xEdit with CTRL+SHIFT+F cell finder, then have a look at plugins that change them. Remove those one by one. Once you found a plugin, you could have a look at the references and other records in those cells, or the overwrite cell record themselves. You get the idea.

Only if all that fails to find something would I consider looking at the cells in the childworldspace, however unlikely it seems. I would still check, because more often than not, these things are not always what one believes them to be...

Edited by sheson

It loads the tempoary cells that are defined in the Tamriel worldspace. AFAIK the temporary cells defined to the child worldspace with the same coordinates do not matter at this point. The temporary cells of the child worldspace are only loaded when entering the child worldspace, superseding the temporary cells of the Tamriel parent worldspace.

The persistent cells of all child worldspaces are always loaded together with the persistent cell of the parent worldspace. They seem to act like one and the same.

Crash fixes is not reporting a problem with a nif? Then maybe a deleted record or a navemesh problem. If the crash is that reproducible, you should be able to determine the coordinates of a handful of cells that attach when the CTD occurs. Find them in xEdit with CTRL+SHIFT+F cell finder, then have a look at plugins that change them. Remove those one by one. Once you found a plugin, you could have a look at the references and other records in those cells, or the overwrite cell record themselves. You get the idea.

Only if all that fails to find something would I consider looking at the cells in the childworldspace, however unlikely it seems. I would still check, because more often than not, these things are not always what one believes them to be...

So to extrapolate from what you are saying, presumably as I can get right to the cell boundaries in the Tamriel worldspace, if both the Tamriel and WindhelmWorld persistent cells load together they're not going to hold the error as they will have been loaded a long time before I get to within half a cells distance from the walls?  But if it is also the case that the WindhelmWorld temporary cells only load if you are inside the city, and the Tamriel temporary cells only load if you are outside the city why does the crash persist both inside and outside the city?

It is 100% repeatable.

There is no Crash Fixes mesh warning, and one of the first things I did was to run everything in meshes/architecture/windhelm through NifHealer which reported no errors.

I have checked different times of day and different weathers to rule them out.

And as far as I can tell it is every cell containing Windhelm as per the area within the red lines in the image above.  So I need to check through all of those cells presumably (both in Tamriel and WindhelmWorld?)?

So to extrapolate from what you are saying, presumably as I can get right to the cell boundaries in the Tamriel worldspace, if both the Tamriel and WindhelmWorld persistent cells load together they're not going to hold the error as they will have been loaded a long time before I get to within half a cells distance from the walls?  But if it is also the case that the WindhelmWorld temporary cells only load if you are inside the city, and the Tamriel temporary cells only load if you are outside the city why does the crash persist both inside and outside the city?

It is 100% repeatable.

There is no Crash Fixes mesh warning, and one of the first things I did was to run everything in meshes/architecture/windhelm through NifHealer which reported no errors.

I have checked different times of day and different weathers to rule them out.

And as far as I can tell it is every cell containing Windhelm as per the area within the red lines in the image above.  So I need to check through all of those cells presumably (both in Tamriel and WindhelmWorld?)?

Correct, the persistent cells of Tamriel and the child worlds load the moment when you enter Tamriel or any of the child worlds.

Maybe whatever the cause exists in both wordspaces, or things other than references (navmeshes maybe, I don't know much about them) are shared across child and parent world. Maybe it is about something that only loads when the area becomes active, regardless of worldspace.

I usually only deal with simple references and LOD, not with NPC, Quests etc so i can't say much about that.

If the crash is that repeatable, it could be quick to narrow down. To troubleshoot, consequently remove everything that does not cause the crash until you are only left with the thing(s) that causes it.

So, remove every mod and plugin that is not near the problematic area, while the the crash still happens, keep removing plugins changing the area one by one. If the crash goes away, enable the plugin again and remove another.

Once you are left with only vanilla DLC and one plugin and still have the crash, use xEdit to remove worldspaces, then entire cells, then the content of the last remaining cell. The 50:50 approach works well. Remove 1/2 of data. If crash went away, go back one step and remove the other half and so on.

The goal is to keep the data/record that causes the crash, until nothing else is left.