Law of One

TechAngel85

@mono. 

I am not saying it is the only reason why people abandon religion in favor of alternatives. I just say from my point of view I think a large part of it is because of the idea that you do something yourself rather than having it handed to you by a creator. I entirely understand that there are other reasons, and most of them depend on the people. However I do not see how it is demeaning to say that someone make that choice for themselves. Considering how integral the concept of faith is to people I think that making the leap to believe in yourself rather than a creator is a compliment if anything. 

Perhaps I misunderstood what you meant! But hope that made sense! 

Also I agree with you on the darleks.... they are a leftover of early episodes, when effects etc. where not high on the list. These days they are more a joke than anything else. 

Now the freaking stone angel thingies... those I can respect! Still remember the first episode I saw with them, freaking me the hell out. Good vibes from original horror movies without going over the top. 

It was more that it seemed to imply that people left religion only because they wanted full credit for their merits, which I understand now was not what you meant. 

Blink was a great episode. Going enormously OT here, but so long as Tech does not mind, it is always pleasurable to discuss that show. I enjoyed the way Daleks were introduced back in Series One (the new run). It might still have looked somewhat silly, but there was a real respect for its capability from the Doctor, not to mention the fact that it took out almost anything that was thrown at it. When that respect (of their capabilities) disappeared from the characters in the show, the Daleks quickly lost traction in terms of their threat, and that's when their more silly aspects became even more apparent.

I much prefer Angels Take Manhattan because it's not as slow and I love the time period. It's one of the few episodes I can go back and watch when I feel up to it.

I'm not sure what was so bad about the recent appearance of them in The Pilot. Apart from the fact they had the same accuracy on the main characters as a stormtrooper, they killed all the other ground troops and had to go against a being was was pretty much invincible. In this instance I feel it's justified, but you are certainly correct on all the other occasions. They are basically the Third Reich, but acting like a Nazi is only one half of the equation here.

But yeah, I'm not that happy with his run bar a few gems. Clara has to be one of the worst companions ever because she had this super toxic 'strong woman' personality that goes far above even River. It became a parody and you just wanted to put a metaphorical pillow over her smug face to shut her up. He just couldn't kill her off either, so now she is apparently flying around annoying everyone and creating conflicts or something. :lol: I won't get started on the Matt Smith era writing for Capaldi, which totally fits obviously. /s

Anyway, this material is basically an interpretation of the universe like the LoO that Tech is discussing. I think that is why some have had a hard time not inserting the LoO into the fiction bracket. There's a lot ideas floating around about the universe and our existence, so one ideology is no more important than any other in my opinion. I'd actually have loved Tech to have explained everything in bullet points to begin with, then it would have made comparisons (with current science and fiction) much more interesting to me. I mean, the topic became like a Christian discussing Christianity with nine Muslims whom know nothing of Christianity. It's not going to work very well and the other group will become disinterested and talk about 'Allah Who'. ::P:  I think you are a bad teacher Tech, and now you are giving up on us because you expect us to read something that isn't very well structured (you even admitted it was hard to grasp). It's a miracle it's lasted this long to be honest.

I'd actually have loved Tech to have explained everything in bullet points to begin with, then it would have made comparisons (with current science and fiction) much more interesting to me. I mean, the topic became like a Christian discussing Christianity with nine Muslims whom know nothing of Christianity. It's not going to work very well and the other group will become disinterested and talk about 'Allah Who'. ::P:  I think you are a bad teacher Tech, and now you are giving up on us because you expect us to read something that isn't very well structured (you even admitted it was hard to grasp). It's a miracle it's lasted this long to be honest.

The Law of One covers such a varying array of subjects that aren't necessary always connected that I wouldn't even know where to begin to make a bullet point list of it all. Everyone learns and absorbs information differently. Personally, if it's coming from a textbook, I typically have to read it a couple times before I'm able to retain the majority of the information in memory. However, if I can apply anything hands-on, I typically have it down the first time.

The material wasn't hard to grasp because of the way it's structured. Some of the material was hard to grasp due to concepts I was unfamiliar with, such as: the difference between space/time and time/space. The only difficulty in the structure is the wording at times. I think it was Mono that mentioned that they should have difficulty with our language and it's clear they do, to an extent. It's like talking to someone from a different nationality whom speaks English well, but there are often some missed translation of how they're using some words. The example I gave was the word "galaxy". They don't have this word. They use Logos, Sub-logi, etc. So when they used the word galaxy there was a misunderstanding that lead to some confusion in the session. To them, the only difference in a solar system and a galaxy, as we know it, is size. In other words, all the inner workings of a galaxy are the same as a solar system to them, just scaled up. Ra "scanned" the understanding of the word from either the channeler or questioner (don't remember which) to understand and correct the confusion.

I had interpreted a lot of that; I was just trying to draw you out.  ::D: You have been trying your best, but I would have still loved some basic information in your first post. I'm not talking a thesis here and you could have had it cooking for a while before you posted. That's how I feel anyway. 

But honestly...  you should watch Doctor Who season 10.  ::P: Seriously though, I'll get around to reading a bit of this soon, but I won't be converting or anything. I just have a lot to read at the moment and so little time. I would have loved to have done so before this thread, but what can you do? 

Edited by Guest

It's okay. My initial post was really just to see if anyone on the forums had read the material or not and if so, then discuss it. Hence there not being much info on what it was (I added the reference later so it wasn't originally there). I never really meant to discuss it with those that hadn't because I knew that would be rough going (which it was), but I let myself get carried away. :^_^:

As for Doctor Who, I might pick it up eventually.