"Choose Instance" pops up every time I start Mod Organizer 2

IWantMyMod

Question

I installed mod organizer in my skyrim SE folder and but now every time I start Mod Organizer the "Choose Instance" window pops up with "New" and "Portable" options.  Since I want to use the the location where Mod Organizer is installed I choose Portable but it now asked me every time.

Now can I fix this?

5 answers to this question

Installing MO2 into the game folder does not mean it automatically manages that game. In fact MO/MO2 should be installed away from those game folders to keep them clean of extra files.

When you are presented with the 'Choose instance' dialogue you should choose the game that you want to manage, in this case Skyrim SE.

If you are not seeing any games listed then you have not run them at least once from their launchers, this is vital as that step sets the registry settings that MO/MO2 sees which in turn allows it to function.

What you are saying is the complete opposite of everything thing else I have read including the S.T.E.P. guide that says:

• Install into any folder outside User Account Control (the game's main directory is recommended).

And the video from Gopher shows all files installed in A ModOrganizer folder in the the Skyrim main folder.  That is how I did it and Mod Organizer was automatically setup to manage Skyrim SE as all the instructions say it will.

But, I'm not taking about the game that MO is setup to manage.  I'm talking about data files (mods, downloads, profiles, configuration, etc).  Every time I start MO I get this screen:

9456383-1491753077.png

If I select Portable then my data folder are in the ModOrganizer folder where I want them.  If I select New it will create a folder in "C:\Users\{username}\AppData\Local" where I don't want them.  Of course that does allow different local users to have a different setup but I neither need nor want that. In Gopher video he has the data folder in him MO folder and he don't get the "Choose Instance" popup when he starts MO.  Is the new to MO2?

Is there some kind of setting that will stop this from popping up every time I start MO2?

I have this same issue and I've installed MO2 outside of the UAC:

21:35:47 [D] data path: C:/Games/ModOrganizer
21:35:47 [D] Working directory: C:\Games\ModOrganizer
21:35:47 [D] initializing core
21:35:47 [D] usvfs log messages are written to C:/Games/ModOrganizer/logs/usvfs-2017-04-11_01-35-47.log
21:35:47 [D] initialize plugins
21:35:47 [D] looking for plugins in C:\Games\ModOrganizer\plugins
21:35:47 [D] loaded plugin "check_fnis.dll"
21:35:47 [D] loaded plugin "diagnose_basic.dll"
21:35:47 [D] loaded plugin "game_fallout3.dll"
21:35:47 [D] loaded plugin "game_fallout4.dll"
21:35:47 [D] loaded plugin "game_falloutNV.dll"
21:35:47 [D] loaded plugin "game_oblivion.dll"
21:35:47 [D] loaded plugin "game_skyrim.dll"
21:35:47 [D] loaded plugin "game_skyrimse.dll"
21:35:47 [D] loaded plugin "inieditor.dll"
21:35:47 [D] loaded plugin "installer_bain.dll"
21:35:47 [D] loaded plugin "installer_bundle.dll"
21:35:47 [D] loaded plugin "installer_fomod.dll"
21:35:47 [D] loaded plugin "installer_manual.dll"
21:35:47 [D] loaded plugin "installer_ncc.dll"
21:35:47 [D] loaded plugin "installer_quick.dll"
21:35:47 [D] loaded plugin "pyCfg.py"
21:35:47 [D] loaded plugin "plugin_python.dll"
21:35:47 [D] loaded plugin "preview_base.dll"
21:35:47 [D] downloads after refresh: 906
21:35:47 [D] no plugin splash
21:35:47 [D] managing game at C:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Skyrim Special Edition
21:35:47 [D] setting up configured executables
21:35:47 [D] configured profile: ReForged 1
21:35:47 [D] initializing tutorials
21:35:47 [D] loaded language en_US
21:35:47 [D] interface Wi-Fi 3 seems to be up (address: fe80::dde9:fa94:27f1:33e0%8)
21:35:47 [D] reading save games from C:/Users/chriss/Documents/My Games/Skyrim Special Edition/Saves
21:35:47 [D] displaying main window
21:35:48 [D] C:\Games\ModOrganizer\profiles\ReForged 1\modlist.txt saved

It's a portable install but i have to choose either portable or instance every time i start it up. Once started, its fine. Mods installed, apps working, etc.

The only odd part of my install is that its a new one after i nuked my previous install form orbit.

It looks like the only way to stop that window from popping up every time is to choose the new button and then choose your game.  It will create a set of folder and an ini file under "C:\Users\{username}\AppData\Local\ModOrganizer\{gamefolder}".  Then in MO you can set the location of the data folders where ever you like.  The ini will always be in the user folder.  That's also where you would put categories.dat.

• +1 1