Z-Fighting Fix for Skyrim Special Edition? Anyone?

Skeeter

Question

I am using Vanilla Skyrim Special Edition. There is noticeable Z-fighting in the game in the distant snowy mountains, wherever they are visible, regardless of where you are on the map. 

It is much much more noticeable if you use vivid weathers and there is clear weather. Horribly noticeable. 

The problem is there with vivid weathers or not. I have no other mod setup or installed so please don't ask me to give you a list of my mod setup....

Here is my ini. just a heads up, the traditional fblock distance settings fix does not seem to work:

https://imgur.com/a/ESed2

Here is my system:

GTX1080

16gb ram

I think that is all you need to approach this problem right? Lol, if I am missing something, please don't be all mean and arrogant about it. 

Here, my mod list for the guys that are going to come in here like, "um, we can't read your mind, where is your mod list, blergh, muaah, meeehhh,"

Mod List:

-Vivid Weathers

There we go...that should make everything okay for everyone right?

If someone needs a description of what Z-Fighting is, in the vein of "you need to tell us more about your problem or we'll kill you," please let me know and I will explain...

So, anyone know how to reduce Z-fighting in Skyrim Special Edition, really for the purpose of perfectly clear weather with Vivid Weathers?

6 answers to this question

This problem was fixed for SSE by Bethesda. You're the first one I've seen that has mentioned it in regards to SSE. I certainly do not have any z-fighting in my game. Have you increased the FOV?

Yeah I have increased my FOV, per the Bethini settings, I think it was 96.8 or something like that. Will that cause z-fighting?

So, it is in Vanilla man...you just are not seeing it with the fog and whatnot in the distance. Put in that clear weather console command, get to a nice height and look out at distant mountains or rivers....it isn't completely fixed, by a long shot, it is just disguised with atmospheric effects. 

EDIT: Tried using a default ini without FOV changes, didn't help. Posting a video in a few minutes to show you just how much Z-Fighting is NOT fixed in SE, standby please. 

Edited by Skeeter

I just tested with in several locations while forcing clear weather (81a). The only place I ever seen z-fighting was around the water regions and there were only a couple. Water has always done this in Skyrim, though. I found one single instance of z-fight on a mountain from the Throat of the World looking towards Riften. That is the only instance involving a mountain I could find. I will say that it has virtually been eliminated in regards to mountains in SSE and if you're experiencing it, it's most likely an INI setting, mod, or mod conflict causing the issue. I had Nordic Snow installed during my testing and it didn't cause any problems. Also of note is I am not using DynDOLOD in SSE.

Yes, it's common knowledge that increasing your FOV too high will cause z-fighting to worsen (at least it does in classic Skyrim). Altering fNearDistanceXXX will also affect z-fighting.

I just tested with in several locations while forcing clear weather (81a). The only place I ever seen z-fighting was around the water regions and there were only a couple. Water has always done this in Skyrim, though. I found one single instance of z-fight on a mountain from the Throat of the World looking towards Riften. That is the only instance involving a mountain I could find. I will say that it has virtually been eliminated in regards to mountains in SSE and if you're experiencing it, it's most likely an INI setting, mod, or mod conflict causing the issue. I had Nordic Snow installed during my testing and it didn't cause any problems. Also of note is I am not using DynDOLOD in SSE.

Yes, it's common knowledge that increasing your FOV too high will cause z-fighting to worsen (at least it does in classic Skyrim). Altering fNearDistanceXXX will also affect z-fighting.

Verified FOV returned to normal in Skyrim.ini, then a fresh download then a default ini set up:

If you have any idea how to fix, I would apprecaite it. Thanks. 

Edited by Skeeter

That was it. I was running TAA and that is why I didn't see it. Unfortunately, the only thing you and test is the same tweaks that were for classic Skyrim. It's something that is baked into the engine. If it hasn't been fixed in over 5 years for classic Skyrim I seriously doubt it's going to be fixed in SSE. Bethesda is just about done with updating SSE, by the looks of it. There's a multitude of bugs that remain which could be fixed. You can try the old tweaks which were this:

[TerrainManager]
fBlockLevel0Distance=50000
fBlockLevel1Distance=72500
fBlockMaximumDistance=94000
fSplitDistanceMult=1.5

Keep in mind that altering your FOV will affect the settings.

EDIT:

Grammar...

That was it. I was running TAA and that is why I didn't see it. Unfortunately, the only thing you and test is the same tweaks that were for classic Skyrim. It's something that is baked into the engine. If it hasn't been fixed in over 5 years for classic Skyrim I seriously doubt it's going to be fixed in SSE. Bethesda is just about done with updating SSE, by the looks of it. There's a multitude of bugs that remain which could be fixed. You can try the old tweaks which were this:

Keep in mind that altering your FOV will affect the settings.

EDIT:

Grammar...

Ok gotcha, thanks for the reply. Such a shame, would've thought Bethesda could have figured that one out. Unfortunately it does not seem like any of the fblock tweaks helps with this issue...