Error messages in MO after making changes with the Construction Set

Nescit

Question

Hello,

A few days ago I made some changes to a follower mod using the Construction Set (basically, change from essential to non-essential, so literally simply unchecking one box), however, now, while the game still seems to start and run, as far as I can tell, normally, I get two error messages in MO, namely:

1. There are files in the overwrite mod - what I find there is a file Modname.esp and a folder named Backup with a DEFAULT.bak file in it;

2. Ini Tweaks overwritten, with a Fix button - there are some explanations about a profile_tweaks.ini file and a recommendation to delete it, but I am not sure if the changes made are thus preserved or not.

Could anyone suggest what the best way to approach this would be? As far as I can tell, it is not game-breaking, but I would still like to have it cleared up, if only just in case.

Thanks.

10 answers to this question

When you made changes to the plugin using the CK the resulting file, Modname.esp, was saved into the 'Overwrite' psuedo-mod as expected. What you need to do is either drag that file into the mod that provided that plugin or create a new mod from the contents. The *.bak file can either be saved along with it or deleted, your choice.

Thanks for the reply.

So, it turns out the file I actually need is the one in the Overwrite, and the one I currently have is still the old one? Also, shall I 'fix' the .ini file, then, or would it be ok once the .esp is taken care of?

The MO Wiki as in this link here: https://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:Mod_Organizer?

Regarding the .ini file, I am not quite sure as to priorities (the error message says a new file is created), or indeed why any changes should have been made to it, but the file is there indeed, and not too enormous in content, namely:

[General]

bUseMyGamesDirectory=1

I don't quite know what use of the game directory is meant here (storing saves is an option that comes to mind), but I assume if the game played all right as it was, it shouldn't be necessary, and it should be safe to simply delete it?

No idea, then? What I can tell by looking at the Oblivion_default.ini file in the game directory is that this tweak, whatever it might be doing, doesn't seem to be there; but:

1. What it does, and thus would it be necessary to keep it, and

2. Is it only present in the .ini because it is in the profile_tweaks.ini, and would go if I deleted the latter

remain unclear, any clarification, please?

Thanks.

Edited by Nescit

Oblivion.ini is exactly where the line is added (not by me, it just "appeared" there), I was referring to the Oblivion_default.ini just to say that there it seems to be missing (i.e., this is not a tweak present by default). Also, it is indeed all there is in the profile_tweaks.ini file (so I suppose I can delete it safely). Now what I am wondering is, since my MO installation is configured to keep the saves in the corresponding profile folders, first, why would a change in the mod tweak the save location, and second, if I leave the change in the Oblivion.ini, is it not going to obstruct normal gamesaving (through MO) somehow?

Thanks for all the information.

Edited by Nescit

After a somewhat longer delay than I meant, here is the current state of things:

First, this is the complete error message I get in MO:

Settings provided in ini tweaks have been overwritten in-game or in an applications.
These overwrites are stored in a separate file (profile_tweaks.ini within the profile directory)
to keep ini-tweaks in their original state but you should really get rid of this file as there is
no tool support in MO to work on it.
Advice: Copy settings you want to keep to an appropriate ini tweak, then delete profile_tweaks.ini.
Hitting the Fix button will delete that file

profile_tweaks.ini:

[General] bUseMyGamesDirectory=1

Second, I installed Nehrim meanwhile, and the Oblivion .ini file seems to be simply gone from the location it was before, but there is one in the Nehrim folder (I think without the tweak), I am not sure if that is "as should be" for some reason, or not.

Also, I tried to install MO in the Nehrim directory and use it with that game, but it would not detect the Nehrim installation and seemed to "want" to manage the already existing Oblivion one, for which I have a copy of MO in place. Not sure how to use MO with Nehrim, but I see a good part of the threads here are on that topic exactly, so whatever the current state is on that, I would appreciate an update as well (not sure whether to start a separate thread on that or keep it here).

Any suggestions how to proceed would be welcome, thanks.