DynDOLOD can not read data from DynDOLOD_World.json

RedPassenger

Question

Hello, I've spent the past 6 hours trying to install this mod for the 1st time with MO. And I'm finding it REALLY hard to give it up and just go to sleep since I'm literally forcing my eyes open at this point now from the exhaustion.

I've followed very carefully every step from the updated video guide by GamerPoets on installing this mod, and I can't seem to make it work.

Problem:

I load into the game from interior and then go outside near whiterun. Receive 2 error messages on top of the screen saying:

DynDOLOD can not find find master data in DynDOLOD_.json OR DynDOLOD can not find find master data in None.json

and

DynDOLOD can not read data from DynDOLOD_World.json

and the activation box is greyed out in MCM (yes all this while I'm in an exterior area)

What I tried already

• completely removing everything I did from start to finish of installing DynDOLOD, and reinstalling at least 4 times
  • the saves I loaded and tried on ranged from new games to most recent ones from which all haven't had DynDOLOD installed on before
  • installed each time with "have MO manage archives" unchecked
  • tried running the game with the "have MO manage archives" checked and unchecked
  • tried to run output data + DynDOLOD.esp both from MO and directly from Skyrim directory. Exclusively, and simultaneously.
  • multiple combination of the above

What I suspect might be the problem

1. I have 366 mods installed and even starting a new one, the game is just too heavily modded to update DynDOLOD/install for the 1st time safely 
  2. some permission issues I am unaware of? I haven't tried doing the entire thing from scratch with all my anti virus turned off, I doubt so that is the problem though
  3. I have expanded Town and Cities and SMIM. I've downloaded the DynDOLOD patch mod and when I tried to install it the patch options it gave me were all for mods that I didn't have so I didn't install it. Maybe I needed to do sth about these two mods afterall?
  4. when I run the DynDOLOD from scratch/1st time and let it generate LODs it takes less than 5 minutes with the final log saying it was successful and everything. However everyone else said it should take 10-15 minutes. Sth fishy?
  5. I also have like 50 mods merged into 3. But like I said, the only ones that may cause issues were the expanded Towns and cities and SMIM

PLEASE HELP ME  ::(:  ::(:  ::(:  ::(:  ::(:  ::(:  ::(:  ::(: thanks in advance

Sorry for the thread necro, but I'm getting this same error in Skyrim SE.

I've been using DynDOLOD since original Skyrim, and it was working fine last week. Then decided to rebuild and can't get rid of this error.

Tried redoing DynDOLOD, cleaning saves and nothing worked, so ended up uninstalling Skyrim, ModOrganizer and DynDOLOD and started anew. It keeps happening.

- Fresh Skyrim install.

- Download and extract skse to Skyrim folder

- Fresh MO2 install

- Installed Unofficial Skyrim Special Edition Patch (4.1.4), PapyrusUtils(3.4b), Indistinguishable Billboards for Skyrim SE (1.0), SkyUI (5.2SE)

- Using DynDOLOD Resources SE 2.41 beta and  DynDOLOD Standalone 2.42 beta

- Install DynDOLOD Resources SE 2.41 beta using MO

- Run TexGenx64

- Archive textures and install using MO

- Run DynDOLODx64

- DynDOLOD process finishes without errors.

- Archive results and install using MO

- Run LOOT

- Play game

- Get error

"DynDOLOD can not read data for Tamriel from DynDOLOD_World.json"

"DynDOLOD can not read data from DynDOLOD_None.json"

"DynDOLOD can not find master data in DynDOLOD_None.json"

Tried installing everything manually in the Skyrim folder to see if it was a MO error preventing the script from accessing the files. Verified the files were in the "D:\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim Special Edition\Data\SKSE\Plugins\StorageUtilData" folder. Files are there and are valid json. Same error.

MCM works and getSKSEVersion too, so skse is loaded.

What am I missing here?

Attached logs from two runs, one with some mods, I was rebuilding my mods list and then remembered why i was doing it (DynDOLOD error), and one with minimum mods.

Papyrus.0.7z

DynDOLOD_Logs.7z

Most likely caused by an incomplete SKSE or PapyrusUtil installation. My guess would be either the SKSE or PapyrusUtil papyrus scripts are not installed correctly. Small chance of data in DynDOLOD_Worlds.json being corrupt/incomplete for some reason.

Edited by sheson

I think I found the problem (and the solution)!

I just noticed there's a PapyrusUtilDev.log file on Skyrim folder and it some errors there, it was opening the file and complaining about invalid json on line 1 column 1.

I just opened the DynDOLOD generated files (DynDOLOD_Worlds.json, etc) and saved them as UTF-8 without BOM.

It's working now.

I guess the file encoding changed in some recent update? Going to try and find a backup of my saves and try to resume that game.

I think I found the problem (and the solution)!

I just noticed there's a PapyrusUtilDev.log file on Skyrim folder and it some errors there, it was opening the file and complaining about invalid json on line 1 column 1.

I just opened the DynDOLOD generated files (DynDOLOD_Worlds.json, etc) and saved them as UTF-8 without BOM.

It's working now.

I guess the file encoding changed in some recent update? Going to try and find a backup of my saves and try to resume that game.

Nothing changed in years how the json files are created. I assume it might be possible some underlying OS function/setting could be doing something, but technically the files should be created as 8 bit ANSI, though I suppose PapyrusUtil should consume any valid text windows format.

Edited by sheson

Just finished my mod list and generated all the lods.

According to Notepad++ all .json files were encoded in UTF-8 with BOM, and didn't load in Skyrim.

Using Notepad++ I converted them to UTF-8 without BOM and now DynDOLOD starts successfuly.

I don't know why they are getting encoded in UTF-8 instead of ANSI, but if someone else is getting this error, maybe this could be the problem.