Photo

Better Beast Races Hidden on Nexus

Best Answer Nebulous112 , 20 May 2017 - 12:12 PM

The only thing this mod was providing was argonians. Here are two alternatives:

Better Argonian 4K
http://www.nexusmods...im/mods/58745/?

JazzJR Argonian retexture
http://www.nexusmods...rim/mods/7712/?

I would suggest FAR - Forgotten Argonian Roots. http://www.nexusmods...im/mods/42043/? Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 mentaltyranny

mentaltyranny

Citizen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 03:13 AM

Better Beast Races by Xenius has, accordingly to my research, disappeared since at least May 5th.  Considering that this is STEP Core, I am in trouble. I hope it isn't required for STEP Patches.  I managed to find v2.00 on fileplanet of all places, its 99.5 MB.  However the STEP wiki page says to use the "lite" version, and I don't think that is it.  Does anybody know where else to find this file or can anyone send it to me?  Any help is appreciated!

Also, I have a feeling that this is not the only STEP Core or Extended mod by Xenius.  If anybody knows where to get the others, again, I would be greatfull!

Finally, if I mis-posted in the wrong subforum, thanks in advance for moving my topic! 

#2 TechAngel85

TechAngel85

Akatosh

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,935 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 07:32 AM

It's just textures so you're fine skipping it. We'll look for a replacement for the next release.

#3 mentaltyranny

mentaltyranny

Citizen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 10:45 AM

Wow... that's so disappointing. I absolutely love his work. Looking further down, it looks like XCE - Xenius Character Enhancement is available but XCE-Dawnguard is hidden. No idea why there is inconsistency. Why would someone do this? I have a tiny FO3 mod on nexus, and I think it would take more time than it is worth to take it down. Ugh, it is his work so it is his decision, I was just hoping that this was a mistake. Is there really no way else to get this? Do anybody know the file sizes for Better Beast Races (Lite) and XCE-Dawnguard? I am pretty resourceful with the right information...

#4 TechAngel85

TechAngel85

Akatosh

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,935 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 10:57 AM

Probably not. Xenius hasn't done any modding in years. He's probably tired of people bugging him, but I don't understand why he'd take them down either.

#5 mentaltyranny

mentaltyranny

Citizen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 04:29 PM

I actually found a couple sites with his mods. However, I am not sure which is the "Lite" version. If any one with STEP installed can get me the file size for the Lite version, I will host a Dropbox link for it until you guys figure out a replacement.

#6 TechAngel85

TechAngel85

Akatosh

• Administrators
  • 11,935 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 05:03 PM

We don't allow mods to be hosted by other users and links provided unless the author has given express permission.

#7 mentaltyranny

mentaltyranny

Citizen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 10:25 PM

Okay, I understand. I am not trying to be difficult, and fact I am trying to help. I have been following and endorsing you guys since you were .pdf guide, and I want you to succeed. I loved the community work on FO3 & FONV as well.

If you look at XCE - Xenius Character Enhancement, the one mod still available on Nexus, it says the following in the readme:

>> Distribution Permission

The content of this mod is open source and can be used freely on the following conditions:

- You will credit me
- You will notify me

- You will only use it for Skyrim

For XCE - Dawnguard I found, it says the same.

For version Better Beast Races I found it says: 

>> Distribution Permission

- You may use the content for your own mods, permission from me is required.
- You may not redistribute this mod in any way or claim it as your own.

So I guess that one is out of the question, but again this appears to be an un-Lite, possibly older, version. So I think we are OK posting XCE - Dawnguard & XCE - Xenius Character Enhancement, as back up - if we can come up with a way to notify him. Unfortunately, his premium user account on Nexus doesn't accept messages. Is he a member here? 

Can someone please tell me some more about the Lite version? Maybe what files were removed? Again, file size and even file name help; as you can see above I am pretty savvy with Google...

Please let me know if I can at least post XCE - Dawnguard.

#8 TechAngel85

TechAngel85

Akatosh

• Administrators
  • 11,935 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 10:50 PM

The lite version was simply lower resolution. 2K, I think. File size unpacked is 129MBs.

If he's taken the mod down from Nexus, you should assume he no longer wants to distribute the mod and, thus, has revoked permissions.

#9 TechAngel85

TechAngel85

Akatosh

• Administrators
  • 11,935 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 11:02 PM

Better Argonian 4K

#10 mentaltyranny

mentaltyranny

Citizen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 12:45 AM

Ok. I am trying not to be a jerk, hope I have not breached protocol here. BTW: I noticed some inconsistency in Texture Resolutions for baseline STEP. Some recommended mods are 1k, other 2k, and I believe Realistic Water Two was 512 resolution. What is the working theory here?

#11 TechAngel85

TechAngel85

Akatosh

• Administrators
  • 11,935 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 07:07 AM

Your fine. :)

Baseline is 1K for exteriors and 2K for interiors. Mostly we like to match the vanilla asset resolution so performance is not altered too much.

#12 Nebulous112

Nebulous112

High King

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,414 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 12:12 PM   Best Answer

Better Argonian 4K

I would suggest FAR - Forgotten Argonian Roots. http://www.nexusmods...im/mods/42043/?

#13 mentaltyranny

mentaltyranny

Citizen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 10:02 PM

Hey I know it probably won't happen, but I wanted to add that I found both Better_Beast_Races-2_00-Lite-944-2-0L.7z and XCED-1_00-21839-1-0.7z off a torrent with all the STEP mods as of a few versions back, if anyone ever gets Xenius's permission to host them elsewhere. Don't worry, I won't share or host them myself!

#14 Shadriss

Shadriss

Jarl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 02:54 PM

Torrents are no goes... we did that once for a specific mod for a bit, and among other reasons, the fact it was a torrent was one of the reasons that mod was eventually dropped. Thanks for the efforts though... I use FAR myself, and between that and Cover Khajits, BBM just isn't needed anymore.

#15 Tobi

Tobi

Necromancer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 05:43 AM

Welp, XCE and its dawnguard addon have also been removed. Guess he took down or hid all of his mods. Any suggestions as a replacement for that?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users