• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Wombler

Wombler

Prisoner

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 02:03 PM

I've had a stable mod build for quite some time, but recently had to pack everything up to move. All set back up now but I can't get Skyrim to launch any more, I haven't changed anything or added any mods...nothin.
Vanilla launches fine from Steam, skse_loader.exe launches fine from the Skyrim directory. When I launch SKSE from MO, I get the black command prompt window for SKSE, then it goes away and MO unlocks. TESV never launches. I cannot get TESV to launch directly through MO (running Skyrim, not SKSE). Running Skyrim Launcher from MO hangs on the little Splash Picture, the words "Play" "Options" "Data Files", etc never show.
I was following this post but he seems to have a few different variables with potential SSE. I do not, and never had SSE anywhere on this computer.
I have everything set to run as Admin, disabled everything in Virus protection.
I've verified local game files in Steam a number of times, updated video drivers. Rebooted, powered down and gone outside for a while, etc etc...

MO Log

MO .ini

Skyrim.ini

Edited by Wombler, 05 June 2017 - 02:12 PM.

#2 GrantSP

GrantSP

The antipodean

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,948 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 06:03 PM

Welcome to STEP @Wombler

Please create a new blank MO profile and see whether it will start with no mods loading. Although you haven't changed anything in these runs, clearly something has changed, software just doesn't refuse to work for no reason.

If the new blank profile works you will have to work your way through your list and see which mod isn't working properly and fix that.

#3 Wombler

Wombler

Prisoner

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 08:42 PM

Although you haven't changed anything in these runs, clearly something has changed, software just doesn't refuse to work for no reason.

I agree....hence my concern here!  I think Steam had an update (or a few), and I did get a new monitor. But I don't see the monitor causing any problems?

I had previously tried disabling ALL the mods with no result. I just made a new profile called "test" and selected it from the Profile drop-down. All my mods are still listed, but none are active and the only listed and selected plugins are the 3 DLCs . When I run SKSE in MO I am still getting the same result.

New MO Log

#4 TechAngel85

TechAngel85

Akatosh

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,053 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 10:14 PM

Did you make sure you're antivirus wasn't blocking anything?

#5 GrantSP

GrantSP

The antipodean

• Super Moderators
  • 3,948 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 11:06 PM

How do you have the SKSE scripts installed? STEP recommends having them as a mod installed via MO which would mean your log would finish with something like this from one of mine:

DEBUG (13:45:07.0808): all hooks installed
INFO (13:45:07.0808): injection done
DEBUG (13:45:07.0808): first access to SKSE Scripts v1_07_03
DEBUG (13:45:07.0808): get file attributes: D:\steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim\Data\SKSE\skse.ini -> D:\Games\ModOrganizer\TES5\mods\SKSE Scripts v1_07_03\SKSE\skse.ini: 20
DEBUG (13:45:07.0808): create process (a) D:\steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim\\TESV.exe - null (in null) - hooking
DEBUG (13:45:07.0983): hooks removed

The log should then begin again but this time using TESV.EXE as the 'hooked' executable.

#6 Wombler

Wombler

Prisoner

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 11:07 AM

Did you make sure you're antivirus wasn't blocking anything?

Yes, even tried with it completely disabled. I added the entire Skyrim directory (so all of it's contents) as an exclusion as well. Vanilla in Steam loads fine and skse_loader.exe runs fine. I would assume this proves antivirus isn't blocking anything here?

How do you have the SKSE scripts installed? STEP recommends having them as a mod installed via MO which would mean your log would finish with something like this from one of mine:

I installed (and just now did it all again to make sure) exactly as shown here. I downloaded the 7z archive, opened it and copied over into the Skyrim directory. Then "Installed mod from archive" in MO, pulled it out of the Overwrite folder, etc. Just like in that guide.
Here's a pic of my Skyrim directory.

Edited by Wombler, 06 June 2017 - 11:13 AM.

#7 GrantSP

GrantSP

The antipodean

• Super Moderators
  • 3,948 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 07:35 PM

The game loading outside proves nothing regarding AV interference. The very method used by MO to 'hook' these executables is the same as that used by some viruses and malware.

MO reads the code in memory and tricks it into using the paths to mods as found in its setup and then allows it to continue its original execution with these new paths. That's the boiled down, simplified version anyway.

For this reason using MO will ALWAYS be a tricky matter as the more levels of software that are loading all need to be tricked in the same manner.

If Steam just updated for you make sure you haven't got its overlay running in the background, likewise for any other software that sometimes bundles "helpful" tools like those. Your graphics driver software may also try to install some game overlays and these should either be removed or turned off.

The log is showing MO failing at the time SKSE loads TESV so something on your system is stopping that process from continuing. If none of the above helps you may need to examine the location of Steam and Skyrim to ensure UAC is also not enabled there. If you have another drive Steam might be better installed there, though this should be considered a last choice as I can't see the folder you created as being at fault, but you never know with Windows!

#8 Wombler

Wombler

Prisoner

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 01:35 PM

Okay, I have been going through every file, program, operation, whatever that I can think of or even see running in Task Manager.
The only AV I'm running is Windows Defender. As said before, I have attempted completely disabling this and that still didn't help. I have all folders and executables set as exceptions.
The only Steam Overlay option I'm finding is the in-game overlay, which is disabled. I do NOT have the nVidia Geforce Experience software installed, so there is no extra, junky, graphics software running or even installed.
I have no other system monitoring type stuff running (like Malwarebytes). I've gone into all the Skyrim directory folders and un-ticked the "Read-only" option, which promptly set itself back, anyways... :rolleyes:

I do have somewhat of forward progress now (I think?). When I try to run SKSE in MO, right when TESV should be trying to run I now get a Windows Application Error. 0xc000001d
My bit of google-fu didn't really get me far, as this seems to be a kind of generic error code and I know almost nothing about the back-ends of Windows. I did run SFC in the Admin Command Prompt and "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations."

I ran the Windows Update troubleshooter and it did find 2 small updates, no change, though.

When I updated from Windows 7 to Windows 10 a while back, I remember having similar issues that related to some memory settings and some other DotNet, or DirectX versions, or something (honestly don't remember what all needed changing or whatever now). I'm sure there's been some Windows Updates since I last played, maybe an update changed something somewhere?

Only things I haven't tried yet (because I'm holding out, hoping for something easier....)
-System Restore back to a previous version of Win10, or run the Reset this PC option (which seems to reinstall Windows?) I'm on version 1703, OS build 15063.332

-Or, like Grant said, reinstall Skyrim (and all my mod stuffs) on another drive. Steam's main install is already on my secondary drive, I just chose to install Skyrim on my C drive because it's a SSD.

#9 Wombler

Wombler

Prisoner

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 02:08 PM

Fixed it.

One tiny little setting causing all this headache. :crash: 

Mentioning in my last post about the issues I ran into after upgrading to Windows 10 got me thinking about some other options. Setting the programs to run in Compatibility Mode, like Windows 7 or something. Which I know is usually not the most solid solution, and rarely works anyways. But, why not try, right?

Well.......MO.exe was ALREADY set to run in Win7 Compatibility. I turned that off and......everything is solid.
I've turned my ENBs back on, running all my normal windows apps, powered my computer completely down for a few minutes...still launches just fine!

SOOOO, my guess is I left it in Compatibility when I was dealing with the Win10 update stuff, having just forgot about it (or maybe still needed it?). And I guess through recent Steam updates or Windows updates it turned from solution to problem.

Thanks for your help, guys!!! :thumbsup:

#10 GrantSP

GrantSP

The antipodean

• Super Moderators
  • 3,948 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 07:48 PM

Very well done to you!! It's always a pleasure to see users put in effort to fix their own systems AND come back to tell us. Kudos to you!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users