STEP v2.10.0 Official Bug Reports

TechAngel85

You should sort your mods into an appropriate load order using LOOT.

This note states that users should not sort the masters in hearthfireextended.esp by loading the mod into TESVEdit, right clicking, and selecting Sort Masters because doing so will break the mod. It has nothing to do with sorting the load order using LOOT, although I understand why it might be confusing.

Regarding Extended Patch Requirements

"Radiant and Unique Potions Poisons" is not listed in https://forum.step-project.com/topic/9370-step-compilation/ as a STEP Extended Patch Requirement.

But if it is not installed, when you do the Argonian Ale quest at Whiterun you will find the Argonian Ale in the Bannered Mare is invisible.

The Ingestible record 0009380D AleWhiterunQuest in STEP Extended Patch.esp
refers to clutter\potions\meadARGONIANALE.nif
which is part of the mod "Radiant and Unique Potions Poisons".

Other Ingestibles, such as:
  MQ201Drink  clutter\wine\COLOVIANBRANDY.nif
  DB03Poison  clutter\potions\poisonDAMAGESKILLLOTUSEXTRACT.nif

also depend on "Radiant and Unique Potions Poisons".

So I think the mod should be required to install STEP Extended Patch, or the dependency be removed from STEP Extended Patch.esp

You should sort your mods into an appropriate load order using LOOT.

This note states that users should not sort the masters in hearthfireextended.esp by loading the mod into TESVEdit, right clicking, and selecting Sort Masters because doing so will break the mod. It has nothing to do with sorting the load order using LOOT, although I understand why it might be confusing.

First, thank you for replying.

And, thank you for your explanation. I've only tried making one mod so far and it was so simple that I never got that far. Besides, it wound up not working anyway. So, I didn't even know that TES5Edit could do that.

I wonder if their might be a way for them to clarify that they are referring to an advanced operation and that those of us that don't try to modify mods in xEdit, need not concern ourselves about it? You know, something along the line of:

"This warning refers to an internal TES5Edit function used by more advanced users. To clear up any misunderstandings, you should continued to sort all of your mods using LOOT according to the STEP wiki guide."

Or something 'like' that.  Just an idea?

Again, thank you for responding so fast and helping me understand. I'm hoping to learn a lot more in time. But, I'd like to get the STEP setup working before I start delving deeper into xEdit and the CK and so on.

::): In general, I'd like to thank the entire modding community for all they have done to make this game so much more than I ever thought any game could be! I keep coming back to this game because of all you have done. ::):

Edited by Ewookie1

I wonder if their might be a way for them to clarify that they are referring to an advanced operation and that those of us that don't try to modify mods in xEdit, need not concern ourselves about it? You know, something along the line of:

"This warning refers to an internal TES5Edit function used by more advanced users. To clear up any misunderstandings, you should continued to sort all of your mods using LOOT according to the STEP wiki guide."

Or something 'like' that.  Just an idea?

Cleaning mods and sorting masters are modding 101 practices. They are very common tasks to perform for any modder (if you use mods, you are a modder!). I will look to see if I can clarify the note better for newer users.

I'm hoping to learn a lot more in time. But, I'd like to get the STEP setup working before I start delving deeper into xEdit and the CK and so on.

::): In general, I'd like to thank the entire modding community for all they have done to make this game so much more than I ever thought any game could be! I keep coming back to this game because of all you have done. ::):

You're welcome and keep at it. You sound a lot like where I was 5 years ago when I first found STEP. Keep at it and you'll be able to accomplish your goals.

I'm not sure if this is a bug, an oversight or what, but...

I was just installing "Wiseman303's Flora Fixes" and found there is a patch for "Clams Drop Pearls" which is installed later in the process. In "Wiseman303's Flora Fixes" file page, there is a patch for "Clams Drop Pearls", yet the STEP instructions don't say anything about downloading that to install later. Nor is it mentioned in the "Clams Drop Pearls" instructions.

I was just wondering, should we download the patch and have it ready to activate when we install the "Clams Drop Pearls" mod? Or, does the STEP Compilation cover that. Or... is it just not required?

(Sorry to be a pest. :unsure: )

I'm not sure if this is a bug, an oversight or what, but...

I was just installing "Wiseman303's Flora Fixes" and found there is a patch for "Clams Drop Pearls" which is installed later in the process. In "Wiseman303's Flora Fixes" file page, there is a patch for "Clams Drop Pearls", yet the STEP instructions don't say anything about downloading that to install later. Nor is it mentioned in the "Clams Drop Pearls" instructions.

I was just wondering, should we download the patch and have it ready to activate when we install the "Clams Drop Pearls" mod? Or, does the STEP Compilation cover that. Or... is it just not required?

(Sorry to be a pest. :unsure: )

It's included in the STEP Patches which are installed with the Compilation. We've included a lot of the various mod patches into the STEP Patches to help keep the plugin count lower. And you're not a pest. You're learning! ^_^

It's included in the STEP Patches which are installed with the Compilation. We've included a lot of the various mod patches into the STEP Patches to help keep the plugin count lower. And you're not a pest. You're learning! ^_^

Thank you for the heads up. I had installed it, but knowing that, I won't activate it.

Thank you.

https://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:NVIDIA_Inspector#Setting_Up_the_Skyrim_Profile

"Warning: Inspector nor STEP can be held liable for any possible mishaps resulting from overclocking video cards."

Needs a "Neither", I think.

https://wiki.step-project.com/XPMS_Extended#Recommendations

"Notice: When updating this mod, remember to run FNIS. For new users, FNIS will be ran at the end of the Guide."

Regarding the "Display & Video Card Settings" section of the STEP Guide.

One shortcoming of this section is that it does not discuss pixel formats.

When you connect a 1920x1080 monitor to a computer using HDMI:
- Nvidia graphics drivers will often set the pixel format to "Limited Range RGB 16-235"
- AMD graphics drivers will often set the pixel format to "YCbCr 4:4:4"
Which is fine for watching HDTV, but not ideal for PC gaming.
For PC gaming the best pixel format is "Full Range RGB 0-255", which you usually need to manually configure using the graphics driver software.

Also, if the monitor has an 'HDMI Black Level', 'HDMI RGB PC Range' or similar option make sure this is set to 'Normal', 'High', 'Full' or 'RGB (0~255)' rather than 'Low', 'Limited' or 'RGB (16~235).

This article "Correcting HDMI Colour on Nvidia and AMD GPUs" describes the situation well.

https://pcmonitors.info/articles/correcting-hdmi-colour-on-nvidia-and-amd-gpus/

Regarding the "Display & Video Card Settings" section of the STEP Guide.

One shortcoming of this section is that it does not discuss pixel formats.

When you connect a 1920x1080 monitor to a computer using HDMI:

- Nvidia graphics drivers will often set the pixel format to "Limited Range RGB 16-235"

- AMD graphics drivers will often set the pixel format to "YCbCr 4:4:4"

Which is fine for watching HDTV, but not ideal for PC gaming.

For PC gaming the best pixel format is "Full Range RGB 0-255", which you usually need to manually configure using the graphics driver software.

Also, if the monitor has an 'HDMI Black Level', 'HDMI RGB PC Range' or similar option make sure this is set to 'Normal', 'High', 'Full' or 'RGB (0~255)' rather than 'Low', 'Limited' or 'RGB (16~235).

This article "Correcting HDMI Colour on Nvidia and AMD GPUs" describes the situation well.

https://pcmonitors.info/articles/correcting-hdmi-colour-on-nvidia-and-amd-gpus/

The information provided in that link is a viable option with AMD GPUs with drivers up through 16.5 or thereabouts. Unfortunately, AMD removed "My Flat Panels" in a version shortly after 16.5 and the current version doesn't even have "Radeon Additional Settings" in Preferences. The executable is still on disk if you know where to look, but the only options are Preferences and Eyefinity.

The information provided in that link is a viable option with AMD GPUs with drivers up through 16.5 or thereabouts. Unfortunately, AMD removed "My Flat Panels" in a version shortly after 16.5 and the current version doesn't even have "Radeon Additional Settings" in Preferences. The executable is still on disk if you know where to look, but the only options are Preferences and Eyefinity.

Yeah the solutions are sound, but the means to the solution in that article is outdated for AMD anyway. But, although you pointed out the lack of options because of radeon settings removal. The options have thus been moved to the Display tab of the driver software. As seen in the attached pictures, currently have 17.8.2 version. Also the AMD color options that used to be found in the old Catalyst software, is now back, just select the "Color" option is the upper right hand of the display tab, but not "Desktop Color" as that will open windows color calibration crap.

Or ok, somehow I have no way to attach anything. I have done it a long time ago. But whatever, pretty sure I described it enough.

Yeah, the Color settings have been moved although I find this less than useful because all this is supported directly by my flat panels. The one setting that no longer exists (at least I haven't been able to find it) is the Pixel Format setting.

If you want to include pictures or screenshots, you'll need to post them on an image hosting site and include a link to them in your message.

The information provided in that link is a viable option with AMD GPUs with drivers up through 16.5 or thereabouts. ...

The article shows "AMD Catalyst Control Centre" which is not much use if you are using the newer "AMD Radeon Settings". But the information and options described are still relevant, the options are just in different places.

I tested it yesterday on my AMD RX 460 graphics card.

Open "AMD Radeon Settings", Click "Display"

"HDMI Scaling" - is already set to 0% for me, which is fine.

"Pixel Format" - select "RGB 4:4:4 Pixel Format PC Standard Full RGB"

And on my monitor's menu controls I set "black level" to high, and "overscan" to off.

It works nicely for me, dark areas now have different shades of black, whereas before dark areas had no definition, and were just a black blob.