STEP v2.10.0 Official Bug Reports

TechAngel85

I was going over the "STEP Compilation Credits" On the Nexus STEP page and found that two of the mods listed are missing. The mods I found missing are:

Better Circlets by Yuril

Frost Atronach HD by Yuril

I went through the rest, and it seems these are the only ones not available. I'm not sure why, but that user's files seem to have been pulled.

I just thought it would be a good idea to let someone know about this.

I was also wondering if those missing files will cause problems with installing the STEP Compilation files?

They're just texture mods, so no issues if they're missing.

Thank You. As long as they're absence doesn't affect, or interfere with the rest of the setup, I'm good. Thanks again.

One other question thought...

Could I use a different Circlets mod in it's place, without upsetting the STEP setup?

Edited by Ewookie1

• 3 weeks later...

Which version of Ruins Clutter Improved is included in the STEP Compilation? Because Enchanting Candle Meshes Improved (https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/53638/?) is incompatible with the latest version (2.9) of RCI according to its mod page.

The incompatibility is visually pretty noticable in game. The way I see it, it's again the candle meshes (candles01.dds, candles01_g.dds, candles01_n.dds) which are from RCI version 2.9 and are incompatible with Enchanting Candle Meshes Improved.

• 3 weeks later...

Just a clarification needed: At the beginning of section 1.E. it states: "It is highly recommended that only the bare minimal tweaking be done here until after the Guide is installed and configured according to the Baselines provided."

So, do we download and do all these things at this point, as a pre-installation step, or is this really something that needs to go at the bottom of the installation guide as a POST-installation step?

Thanks for your help!

Found some stuff regarding the BethINI wiki page.

Yeah, that was late and after a couple glasses of Spiced Rum and Coke so if that was the only typo, I did really good! ^_^

Sorry... maybe these things are only because BethINI is on 2.5 now?

• General Tab > "Uncheck [Modder's Paradise Mod]" should be "Uncheck [Modder's Paradise Mode]"
  • Detail Tab > Water > "Water Resolution [1024]" should be "Reflection Resolution [1024]"
  • Visuals Tab > Trees > "Tree Detail Fade (default)", please clarify whether this means to leave it alone (which will say "Custom" if the user selects a preset, no matter which one) or to choose "Default" from the dropdown.  I'm assuming it means "leave it alone".

Because we're checking the "Recommended Tweaks" box, all of the following instructions are redundant, at least in 2.5, no matter what crazy INI configuration the user started with (maybe some were intentional... if so, it may help to word these more like "really, keep the default"):

• General Tab > Uncheck [intro Logos]
  • General Tab > Check [Disable Screenshots]. A third-party program will offer better results.
  • General Tab > Check [Disable Tutorials]. First time players to Skyrim may wish to leave tutorials enabled.
  • Gameplay Tab > Combat > 1st Person Arrow Tilt-up Angle [0.7]
  • Gameplay Tab > Combat > 3rd Person Arrow Tilt-up Angle [0.7]
  • Gameplay Tab > Combat > 1st Person Bolt Tilt-up Angle [0.7]
  • Interface Tab > Map Menu > Check [Fix Map Menu Navigation]
  • Interface Tab > Mouse Settings > Mouse Wheel Zoom Speed [10]
  • Detail Tab > Shadows > Sun-Shadow Update Time [0.25]
  • Detail Tab > Shadows > Sun-Shadow Update Threshold [1.5]

Some other things on that page are probably always going to be the defaults, but I didn't call them out because the user could (in theory) tweak their original INI and see different values here even after checking "Recommended Tweaks" if they didn't pick a preset (or maybe if they did?  I don't remember...).  The ones I listed above are just the ones I've noticed are completely redundant with what "Recommended Tweaks" does for you.

Also, this next part is just a note... I noticed 2.10.0 isn't tweaking as many tree settings from this page anymore, presumably because BethINI doesn't expose the same fine-grained control that simpler INI editors do (it's just "Default", which uses the game's own defaults, or "Custom", which means to leave it at whatever the preset did).  I'm going to keep having StepperUpper's automation of 2.10.0 do the tweaks that STEP Core 2.2.9.2 used to do, since I have to do it all manually anyway.  As a note, the recommended LOD values from that page (6144 / 4096 / 8192) are somewhere in-between BethINI's "medium" and "high" preset values, and the recommended uiMaxSkinnedTreesToRender value from that page (200) is higher than all BethINI presets except "ultra", which also uses 200.  Edit: ...duh... if I assume that "Tree Detail Fade (default)" means to leave it alone instead of select "Default", then there's no contradiction: the preset already sets this for the user, and it probably chooses better per-preset values than STEP's one-size-fits-all recommendation did.  Derp.

Edited by airbreather

Thanks, I've corrected those few things. As for the Recommended Tweaks redundancies, they're in there to ensure users set those tweaks up regardless if they choose to apply the Recommended Tweaks or not. So, yes they're redundant for those users choosing Recommended Tweaks. These users will simply check the settings and see they are correct. Other users not applying the Recommended Tweaks will not see them as redundant and will likely make the changes. Basically, we're just covering all users.