STEP v2.10.1 Development

TechAngel85

Notice:

As of STEP 2.2.8, we are only actively supporting Skyrim Legendayr Ed. (all DLCs) - We continue to 'passively' support other DLC/non-DLC configurations as an artifact of having done so previously. However, moving forward, all new content will assume Legendary Ed. We will gradually phase out information pertaining to limited DLC components.

Overview:
STEP 2.10.1 marks the start of our new versioning scheme and how releases are handled. All changes to the Guide between minor releases will now be released as a packaged "hotfix" release. 

Reviewed our version scheme for more information.

Since this is a community driven project and site, we would like to encourage users to tag mods they'd like to see in STEP. To do this, please add a 'testing' tag to the desired mods. This will allow us to filter the mods and review them. Mods that we think fit into the STEP project will be officially marked for testing and mods that do not will simply have the 'testing' tag removed.

Dev Guide v2.10.1
Changelog (subject to developmental updates)
Mods currently in Testing

For replacers, the test case should be a high-quality screenshot compare. We don't need a lot, just two or three sets of compares on the thread marked [ TESTING ].

The idea is that testing --and logging of that activity on the threads-- will be touch & go for a lot of mods, and it should be pretty clear by anyone stumbling upon any mod thread what the end result is.

Let us know if you want to be a Mod Tester! We're always looking for official testers!

Changes for v2.10.1 (in no specific order)

2.10.1 Dev patches:

• 1 month later...

Some ideas on the current release that have come up while reinstalling today:

2.I Clothing and Equipment:

- There's currently a fair amount of conflicts going on in this section, mostly between RUSTIC CLOTHING and other mods, mostly due to mod ordering.

- Nightshade vampire armour:

- Overwrites RUSTIC CLOTHING.

- Personally, I prefer the RUSTIC textures:

- There's significantly more detail on the belt areas of both female and male outfits

- Better handling of the bracers on the male outfits in RUSTIC.

- NRHD Masque of Clavicus Vile:

- Overwrites RUSTIC CLOTHING.

- By the admission of the mod author, this is just a 'proof of concept', 'Slapped [together] in 3-5 minutes', consisting of a sharpen & distressing of vanilla textures.

- RUSTIC provides a complete retexture, noticeably better specular, more detail in eyes/cloth neck covering, while keeping the overall weathered effect NRHD Clavicus Vile aimed for.

- Dragonborn Mage Robes Retexture Pack

- Currently (completely) overwritten by RUSTIC CLOTHING.

- Not sure what peoples opinions are on this one, I would say it is of around equal quality to RUSTIC, it is mostly just a stylistic choice between the two. Personally I quite like it.

- Either way, it is doing nothing in its current position in the install order. Either needs moving after RUSTIC, or removing completely.

- Mage Outfit Texture Overhaul

- IMO this should move to Extended from Core.

- RUSTIC provides a quality retexture of vanilla robes, in line with Core mandate.

- This mod expands on vanilla, keeping in line with it, but nevertheless an expansion on Bethesda's original intent - Extended/STEP Pack mandate.

I think there needs to be a bit of discussion of whether STEP should try and stick to one texture pack where possible or not. For weapons/armour, aMidianBorn's retextures provide a consistent art direction, just as there is a consistent design philosophy in the vanilla game - which I feel fulfills the STEP aim of being an almost imperceptible improvement over the base game. Using disparate texture packs obviously works against this to a greater or lesser extent; in some cases the individual textures can be superior, at some cost of consistency. Anyone who has installed Immersive Weapons will know what I mean - certain textures and models just leap out as completely different in style to the vanilla game, which to an extent can break the suspension of disbelief/internal consistency of the world. 

As RUSTIC CLOTHING now covers the entire clothing folder, (actually overwriting aMidianBorn's fur armour retexture - something else which I think could do with a look at) I think there needs to be a decision if STEP should use it wherever possible, or overwriting it with other mods that detract from its consistency, but may provide superior individual textures.

Apologies for the double post, I can't edit/remove my previous one for some reason.

Edited by sharrken

• 1 month later...

A suggestion I was thinking of, was to specify locations where people could and should do a trial run, just to the point where your character is getting out of the wagon. That's the first point where we can escape out of the game. The reason for this suggestion is that, for some reason, I can start the game, through MO and SKSE while it's still raw. But, something keeps happening somewhere in the process, and by the time I get to the end, I can't even launch it. And, I have 'no' idea where I'm going wrong. I've had to start over completely three times, spending hundreds of hours trying to compile this thing, just to find out that, somewhere along the way, I screwed up somewhere. And, I have NO idea where! It's awfully frustrating. I'm sure it's something I'm doing wrong. I just don't know where. So what I was thinking, is that perhaps we could make a test run at the end of each section.

I was thinking I might like to do that this next time through. The problem is, the STEP process has us installing XP32 Maximum Skeleton Extended fairly early on, which requires running FNIS which isn't install until the END of the STEP program.

I was wondering if something could be done about the process to allow for test runs as we go, such as installing things like FNIS, and what ever other patchers might be needed earlier, even if it means having us rerun them a few more times as we go. It would be good practice for future additional modding anyway.

Just a thought. Maybe I'll try it anyway, just deactivating mods like "XP32 Maximum Skeleton Extended" or other's that require FNIS or the other Patchers. We'll see what happens.

I appreciate your thinking about this though. And, thank you for the great work you've all done already.

A suggestion I was thinking of, was to specify locations where people could and should do a trial run, just to the point where your character is getting out of the wagon. That's the first point where we can escape out of the game. The reason for this suggestion is that, for some reason, I can start the game, through MO and SKSE while it's still raw. But, something keeps happening somewhere in the process, and by the time I get to the end, I can't even launch it. And, I have 'no' idea where I'm going wrong. I've had to start over completely three times, spending hundreds of hours trying to compile this thing, just to find out that, somewhere along the way, I screwed up somewhere. And, I have NO idea where! It's awfully frustrating. I'm sure it's something I'm doing wrong. I just don't know where. So what I was thinking, is that perhaps we could make a test run at the end of each section.

I was thinking I might like to do that this next time through. The problem is, the STEP process has us installing XP32 Maximum Skeleton Extended fairly early on, which requires running FNIS which isn't install until the END of the STEP program.

I was wondering if something could be done about the process to allow for test runs as we go, such as installing things like FNIS, and what ever other patchers might be needed earlier, even if it means having us rerun them a few more times as we go. It would be good practice for future additional modding anyway.

Just a thought. Maybe I'll try it anyway, just deactivating mods like "XP32 Maximum Skeleton Extended" or other's that require FNIS or the other Patchers. We'll see what happens.

I appreciate your thinking about this though. And, thank you for the great work you've all done already.

The easiest thing to do would be to install XPMSE but leave the mod unchecked in MO until you get to section N.

• 1 year later...

Now that Nexus Mods disabled v1 of their API, the original Mod Organizer is no longer compatible with their site. Will efforts be taken to transition to MO2 as a recommended mod manager for STEP?

Edited by Zarggg