mklink i am stuck

nieda113

Question

HI  my problem is MO and FO4. WIN10 .

I managed to install the MO .

I took the option to install  MO on a different drive. I went to H:

so my path is   :

c:\user\gamer\appdata\local\modorganizer     ( this is the deafault  what MO is installing)

during installation i used the option to install on my H: ssd.

h:\risen\steamapps\common\fallout 4\modorganizer2

i made a copy of the modorganizer default folder on drive c: I copied the fallout4 folder into the newly created Modorganizer2 folder on drive H:

so what must the mklink /J   look like?    Iam stuck  because i got messages like wrong path or syntax error.

pls can someone provide the exact  typing?

Next: i can use the overwritefolder but only on drive C:  If i create a mod from there it appears in Modorganizer and it is usable.

Do i need the mklink  /J ,or can i leave it as is and just create mods rom the appdata folder?

Next: In the new created Modorganizer2 folder on my H:\ drive  are the same folders as in the Modorganizer2 \Fallout4  and in here is the profile folder with the default profile. I created a new profile and this shows up in the root of my modorganizer2 folder.

So went ahead and deleted the folders in Modorganizer2 root folder except the fallout4 folder.  This caused Modorganizer not being able to launch on some exception error.

So are the duplicates in Modorganizer root folder required ?

looking for your help....

4 answers to this question

I don't think you can just copy FO4 to a new folder like this because Steam wants it in the directory it installed it into and there are several registry entries that point to the original FO4 install directory. In other words, FO4 won't work if you just copy it somewhere like this. I don't understand why you're copying the Mod Organizer folder either.

Are you trying to follow this guide?

@Gernash uses symlinks in his guide but the official stance on MO2 is to NOT use them.

All you need do is install MO2 anywhere, on any drive and modify the paths to various folders via the 'Settings' dialogue. As @Greg mentions MO2 uses the registry settings for supported games to "see" where they are installed and you should never manually move any game without ensuring these settings are also changed.

I don't think you can just copy FO4 to a new folder like this because Steam wants it in the directory it installed it into and there are several registry entries that point to the original FO4 install directory. In other words, FO4 won't work if you just copy it somewhere like this. I don't understand why you're copying the Mod Organizer folder either.

Hi i have not copied the FO4 folder (installation folder ) i have copied the folder MO creates in your local appsdata folder. 

I copied the modorganizer folder because my c: drive is almost full.

But anyways i solved the problem. I can live with MO creating  overwrites in the overwritesfolder in appsdata\local\modorganizer. I can create the mods here and MO has it in the left pane. 

Actually i was using MO 1 since a couple of years on Skyrim and had never problems with it.  The confusion was created by reading this forum here  lots of posters claim MO has problems and the provided solutions .  I guess i would have been better off not listening and keep on going as i did before.

Of course MO has some bugs but all in all there is no difference compred to MO1.

Are you trying to follow this guide?

@Gernash uses symlinks in his guide but the official stance on MO2 is to NOT use them.

All you need do is install MO2 anywhere, on any drive and modify the paths to various folders via the 'Settings' dialogue. As @Greg mentions MO2 uses the registry settings for supported games to "see" where they are installed and you should never manually move any game without ensuring these settings are also changed.

HI yes i read about the symlink here. Because i had a problem with MO not reading the overwrites folder in m H:\Modorganizer2 folder. I thought the symlink will fix that.

I finally did what u supposed here  and changed the settings in MO settings dialgue. But still overwritesfolder and profiles wont be detected  on drive H:\Modorganizer2

MO2 still reads the appdata\local \modorganizer       folders.. I can live with that......

THX for reply