[Classic Skyrim] DynDOLOD 2.26 & LODGen.exe pegging CPU at 100% and LODGen hanging.

LordOfLA

Question

Hi Sheson,

I've been noticing recently that DynDOLOD.exe (32bit) and LODGen.exe have been pegging my CPU at 100%. I don't recall them doing that before - at least not enough to prevent me moving the mouse for short periods and cranking all the fans in my tower up to an audible level.

Additionally, when processing Japhets folly worldspace LODGen.exe will sometimes just hang (looks to be initial startup stage before it gets to the stage of "finished lod....").

Screenshots may be hard to produce due to PC being hard to interact with during the problem periods.

Another factor that'll make this harder to track down is that it doesn't happen all the time and if I delete all the files from the install location and re-unpack it usually works just fine for a while.

Any ideas?

6 answers to this question

Both DynDOLOD and LODGen are multithreaded programs. DynDOLOD has a few routines that can max out CPU. LODGen alone typically does not do 100% CPU for me.

The only way I know LODGen seems to freeze/wait is when it can not read or write files because another process is blocking them. MO, UAC, anti virus etc.

Hmm, this is going to be tricky to track down then.

I keep Skyrim, MO and related tools on a separate drive outside program files so UAC shouldn't be the issue. I don't use AV. Could be MO causing the issue - I have MO archive handling disabled but that doesn't mean a bug isn't present.

If LODGen doesn't freeze it'll give me a "lodgencmd has stopped responding" popup.

DynDOLOD itself seems fine - I just noticed it using 100% cpu while watching LODgen.exe.