We have an admin discussion about an official STEP lighting solution and if we should break down and support a default lighting solution to round out the STEP experience. My answer is "yes", and I think most others feel the same way. The trick is to decide on which is the best Baseline solution.
To make the task of deciding more efficient, we are bringing the conversation here, in the public forum, to help arrive at a solution. The task is greatly simplified by the STEP Mandate (enhance the aesthetics of vanilla Skyrim). Thus, all of the more "creative" lighting solutions are non-starters. The goal then is to use the simplest and most efficient solution that does not change the sort of fantastical vanilla lighting style, but rather enhances this experience and corrects any of the more obvious issues with vanilla lighting and shadows. Here are the rules:
- No ENB shall be part of the Baseline lighting solution for STEP
- Vanilla light levels should be fairly well approximated (i.e., no darker dungeons/nights)
- Vanilla style should be preserved as much as possible
- Vanilla lighting inaccuracies and inconsistencies should be 'fixed'
- Performance impact should be minimal
- No lighting adjustments (the present state)
- Relighting Skyrim
- Climates of Tamriel
... awaiting community feedback .... General discussion around this one topic for next release.
See the stickied threads at top of Mod Suggestions Forum for details