Official STEP Lighting Solution

z929669

Well that is ofcourse personal taste :P

Tho i probably have a biased opinion now since I joined the RLO team.

For version 4.0.7 there are alot of changes.

Biggest addon would be Dawngaurd and Major Cities Exteriors.

And alot of fixes and changes in Major Cities Interiors.

Weathers have been dropped in favour of CoT 3.0. (saves us more time for the rest)

Dragonborn is on the table too but not sure if that one will be ready for 4.0.7 release.

Dungeons is still being worked on since its quite big :P

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well that is ofcourse personal taste :P

Tho i probably have a biased opinion now since I joined the RLO team.

For version 4.0.7 there are alot of changes.

Biggest addon would be Dawngaurd and Major Cities Exteriors.

And alot of fixes and changes in Major Cities Interiors.

Weathers have been dropped in favour of CoT 3.0. (saves us more time for the rest)

Dragonborn is on the table too but not sure if that one will be ready for 4.0.7 release.

Dungeons is still being worked on since its quite big :P

Interior fog removal from Hearthfire homes wasn't forgotten, right?

I totally understand the logic of the decision to cut the weather module and leave it to CoT, but I think it's a bit of a shame at the same time. I think CoT is a great piece of work, but I find that while it looks good most of time, some of the skies and weather conditions look unnatural to my eyes. Weather, like the lighting, is so subjective that I'd personally like to have more "competing visions" to choose from, as we have now with the selection of excellent lighting mods.

Well you could always edit out the weatherid´s that you do not like! ;)

But at the end of the day mods this massive would never get anything done if they had to do everything twice. It would however be nice if there was a way to create options for people like creating a set of scripts to allow people to take out say a weather via MCM.

It should be possible in the future, at least I just saw a mod today that can show all info about the game currently including cell name, set weather, timescale etc etc.

There is another weather mod in development which I showed to Sydney666 a while ago and he said he would try to contact HLVR (author of the weather mod) and see if they could make it so it would work with RLO. I have no idea how that is going though.

Here is a link to that mod topic

https://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1423429-hlvrs-weather-mod/page__st__60

And sample picture links;

Overcast clouds

https://skyrim.nexusmods.com/Images/199080

Northern Sunset

https://skyrim.nexusmods.com/images/193262

@Aiyen

Yes, I've thought about that. The biggest downside from a STEP point of view is that I'd like to be able to recommend a setup to others, and that gets problematic once we get into editing mods. If CoT was made customisable through MCM, as you suggest, that would be excellent.

@jawz

Wow. I really hope that comes to fruition. Looks like it would be very much to my tastes.

IMO, weather is only tangentially related to lighting. Neither is a subset of the other. Rather in some ways they are complementary but nevertheless distinct. A realistic expression of weather conditions is all that is necessary, and vanilla has a good weather model. All it needs is a bit of modified expression in terms of sound, wind and particles of moisture. Lightning maybe and some personal ENB twists are good modifiers too, but variable weather based on user preference isn't my style really.

Realistic compared to Earth, because Nirn has two moons which would completely change the weather. It would be a lot more violent and every moment would be struggle for life. Not sure if that would make a fun game, but the vanilla weather is definitely not realistic.

Realistic compared to Earth' date=' because Nirn has two moons which would completely change the weather. It would be a lot more violent and every moment would be struggle for life. Not sure if that would make a fun game, but the vanilla weather is definitely not realistic.[/quote']

Actually, while moons can influence weather patterns and tides and even long-term global climatic events, it is a stretch to assume that Skyrim weather patters would be "violent" or wildly different than we understand. We only have one model to extrapolate from, and that model is almost impossibly unique. The real evidence for climate and weather is the plant life and terrain, which are quite Earth like, so in fact, the weather patterns and climate is strikingly similar ;)

The vanilla weather is not NOT realistic... don't forget the timescale is 30x (IIRC), and life itself gets pretty unrealistic on FF. I think all of the TES games have come with interesting weather.

At the end of the day we just want nice cinematic weather that adds to the mood of the game so it is not all just sunshine and aurora. The realism factor is up to personal preference and can be done with ENB´s setup with individual settings.

Well I hope CoT 3 will be a good and nice upgrade.

As far as I know its rewritten and fixes alot of bugs.

And is gonna work good together with our RLO!!

RLO is already ready for CoT 3 with now good working adaptive interiors, jjc71 said he fixed it too in CoT.

So hopefully no more bright interiors during a dark night with storm :P

I personally prefer RLO for the interiors, but I keep coming back to RCRN for the exterior lighting and coloring (which is afaik unique and superior to almost every ENB that I have used).   The combination COT + ENB produces results that are too up and down.  One scene is beautiful, the next its terrible.

The flipside is that I really do find the weather systems that COT produces more varied and interesting than RCRN's solution, and I hate that the latter is not modular.

The reason exteriors look so diffirent from interiors for RLO is cos of the vanilla weathers that desaturate every light type.

All the lights outside are the exact same color we do for RLO interiors.

If you use CoT its will be the right color like when go inside.

Also during the day cos of the sunlight etc lights will look diffirent too, thats also the case in real life.