3 replies to this topic

#1 godescalcus

godescalcus

Guard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 10:24 PM

I want to add an alchemy workbench to an existing mod that (IMO) lacks one. Is it possible to do this using only xEdit? Maybe even do so as a patch and thus not alter the original mod.

There's a table that I could use as a base for positioning/alignment. Could I somehow change that table to an alchemy workbench by only changing a few values in xEdit?

I can use the in-game console to get some data on the said table that would help me find it with xEdit. Then there are a few objects on that table that I need to keep (they're spawned by a script that auto-stores stuff) but if I can get the former right, I might be able to figure out how to move those objects to another surface. Even how to place a new table to store those objects or, finally, how to place a new alchemy workbench without replacing the table at all (it's all a matter of what looks best).

#2 godescalcus

godescalcus

Guard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 02:09 AM

Done it! Just like I described above, I opened the mod in xEdit, identified the table, duplicated it to a new mod (just so I could use the positioning as reference), then looked up the alchemy workbench editor id in skyrim.esm and replaced it in the copied record in the new mod. Then I saved and activated the new esp and - lo and behold, a new alchemy workbench popped up in my game! Then I tweaked its position and rotation to my liking and that was it, no need to change anything in the original mod.

I also tried to dupe the alchemy table in the same mod and changed its editor id to a no-respawn food barrel just to see what happened. Sure enough, a barrel appeared in the game, not exactly below the alchemy workbench (because every mesh seems to have an origin point that's not its center). Bottom line, once I find where the new objects are created inside the aimed worldspace, I can create as many new objects as I want just duplicating the records in xEdit, then changing the editor id and repositioning. No creation kit needed (which still fills me with nightmares about wild&dirty edits and whatnot).

And... LOL... that was my first mod!

#3 TechAngel85

TechAngel85

Akatosh

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,107 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 09:34 AM

I know there is a learning curve, but adding in a bench and barrel and positioning them would have taken all of 2-3 mins in the CK.

#4 zilav

zilav

Commander

• Mod Authors
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 02:16 PM

Better to use right tool for the job. xEdit is not suited for editing which requires any sort of visual feedback: landscaping, cluttering, facegen, navmeshing, etc. It is possible, but you will waste time doing that in xEdit.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: xedit, patch mod, change mod, replace object, change object type

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users