Cleaning mods with Tes4edit

Midig

Question

Last time I tried to clean mods with Tes4edit for Oblivion I got CTD and had to Verify the integrity of the cache after deleting the edited DLCs. I followed the guide here: 

https://wiki.step-project.com/TES5Edit/TES5Edit_Cleaning_Instructions 

Which was provided from here: 

https://wiki.step-project.com/User:Hishutup/OblivionGuide#TES4Edit

However, the latter does not use MO at all and might just have been used as a referral. Something makes me think there is some problem with Tes4edit and MO, but I just wanted to check here before I got a headache through multiple attempts. Have people here made it work just fine, how did you do it? 

9 answers to this question

No issues with xEdit and MO regardless of the game you are modding.

There is sometimes, on some systems, the experience of the cleaned DLCs being moved into the 'Overwrite' folder along with the backup folder. The exact situation where this happens is yet to be pinned down but in any case a verification of your Steam cache replaces the files and the cleaned versions are still used as they should be loaded via mods created in MO.

I think the overwrite issue is based on if you have Oblivion in a SSD or HDD (HDD tends to send them to overwrite) according to STEP tes5edit cleaning procedures. I did delete the backup folder and used "create mod" and gave it a name, then placed it below the "refreshed" DLC (I copy the BSA. file before I clean DLC and place it back in as anyone who gets the files in Overwrite should). 

However, that is for DLC, but if the file does not have a BSA file I assume I clean it as normal, go to overwrite, create mod, rename and place it back where it was. I will make an attempt soon and if it works I will notify this thread as answered.

Edited by Midig

'Cleaning' plugins has nothing to do with BSAs. Clean them, the plugins, and leave the BSAs where they are.

Sorry, I meant ESM. files like it says here:

https://wiki.step-project.com/Dawnguard

I back up the ESM. files and place them back once the cleaning has been done since doing it on a HDD removes the ESM file from the data folder and places the edited version of the ESM. into overwrites. 

Edited by Midig

Correct.

However the exact reasons why the cleaned versions sometimes get moved into 'Overwrite' are still not fully understood. My original system had only one HDD and my new system uses SSDs and the same thing happend on both my systems so... I have no clue! :;):

At any rate it appears you are following the instructions to the 'T' so you should be fine. As always simply ask if you are unsure.

Happy modding.

Correct.

However the exact reasons why the cleaned versions sometimes get moved into 'Overwrite' are still not fully understood. My original system had only one HDD and my new system uses SSDs and the same thing happend on both my systems so... I have no clue! :;):

At any rate it appears you are following the instructions to the 'T' so you should be fine. As always simply ask if you are unsure.

Happy modding.

Ok. I ended up backing up the esp. files I wanted to clean. I  follow the instructions here: 

https://wiki.step-project.com/TES5Edit/TES5Edit_Cleaning_Instructions

Except I added the esp. back into the data folder as well. The cleaned version I created from MO I added and renamed as Output folders. The esp. had the same name. I added the Output folders right behind the DLC to let them overwrite changes. I made sure all was well and launched the game and got CTD. Removing the Original DLC esp. from the data folder or Output folders removed this issue. Right now im running it with the Output folders as seen here: 

https://imgur.com/a/fruXj

I will do some more testing and then I will create a bashed patch and get around to playing this game:D

That image you posted showed you had the Shivering Isles patch loading but not SI DLC. There's a CTD for sure.

There should be no need to remove the plugins from the Data folder, simply have the cleaned version load after them anf the cleaned versions will be used.

That image you posted showed you had the Shivering Isles patch loading but not SI DLC. There's a CTD for sure.

There should be no need to remove the plugins from the Data folder, simply have the cleaned version load after them anf the cleaned versions will be used.

When I do this it all crashes. This happened last time, which is why I made this post in the first place. Also, SI DLC is a dummy file and does not need to be activated. I think I did something in archives or data folder which still makes it active. I can run without it and not crash atm

Edited by Midig

Yes, you are correct SI Patch doesn't need SI, only the Unofficial Oblivion Patch. Been a while since I loaded up Oblivion.

I'm still of the view that the cleaned DLCs are not the cause of your crashes. You'll need to remove most of the active mods and re-introduce them in small numbers to see when the crashes occur.

Logs of your work may also show something about what is, or isn't loading.