Assets seem to unload as more objects load

TheNippleWizard

Question

I'm having issues with red exclamation marks replacing objects over time. The odd thing is they're replacing outfits that worked fine seconds earlier. Here's how it goes:

• I load up my save at Dukov's place. I teleported there after starting a new game to pick up a modded outfit. I'm wearing a different modded outfit, which is showing perfectly.
  • I take the exit closest to the bottom of the stairs and turn left and around the building. I walk towards the water and eventually red exclamation marks appear in the distance where monsters should be.
  • At this point things get screwy. My character's textures start to change, with varying results (example: the body texture turns invisible). When I open my Pip-boy icons are now replaced by dark blue squares. Unequipping and requipping the outfit I was just wearing replaced that outfit with an exclamation mark.

The situation got worse when I used DDSopt on the mods recommended in the guide, but got slightly better after I merged the optimised textures into the original mod folder and deleted the separate folder, so this might have something to do with MO having to manage too many textures.

Any idea what's going on? Thanks in advance.

1 answer to this question

Using teleport is fine for testing but should never be used in a game that is going to be continued. This can break a lot of scripts; it might not be the cause of all of the problems you describe but it could be related. If you want a particular outfit you can use the console commands (e.g., player.additem) to get it without needing to teleport. Console commands for adding items shouldn't break the game.

You could post the details of game setup to support other forum users help get you debugging information. This would include mod list and plugin list; enclose these in spoiler tags so they don't take up as much space. However, the behavior you describe is very unusual and I'm not sure many other users will have seen it. Using DDSopt should not have caused any of the problems you mention. Did you use it to reduce texture sizes or just to clean textures? MO can handle a very large set of textures without any problems; Skyrim has a lot more textures than Fallout 3 for example.