Skyrim SE

Tech's Skyrim Special Edition Guide

• Please log in to reply
175 replies to this topic

#1 TechAngel85

TechAngel85

Akatosh

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,867 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 02:55 PM

Tech's Skyrim Special Edition Guide

Guide: http://wiki.step-pro...gel85/SSE_Guide
Changelog: http://wiki.step-pro...Guide/Changelog

Development Notes: http://wiki.step-pro..._Guide/DevNotes

Author: TechAngel85

Special thanks to:

• dreadflopp - helping with the custom patch

Welcome!

Users have been crying for a SSE guide so this is my answer to those cries. The guide is semi-STEP based. I say "semi" because the guide is not an official guide from STEP and it has some of my own personal twists tossed in to suit my preferences. I used both the STEP Guide and Skyrim S.E.P.T.I.M. for inspiration.

Lets face facts, the author did great work on it but Skyrim S.E.P.T.I.M. is outdated, has dead links, and needs a thorough review. My guide will be more suited to everyone's tastes as it maintains a vanilla Skyrim look and feel. This allows the guide to be more modular so users can be free to customize it with additional mods to suit their own style. With that said, the custom patches provided do have some requirements due to mods being masters of the patches. If they wish to use the custom patches, users have no choice for these mods to be installed, however, I've attempted to keep these mods to a minimum.

Additionally, users should bare in mind, this guide is not be for potato systems; requiring some horsepower to run it as you see in the screenshots. I have a GTX 1060 and my average framerates stay between 50 to 60 FPS when ran with an ENB, Ultra settings, and 1920x180. This guide is the first time I've been able to push this video card away from a solid 60FPS in Skyrim. You've been warned.

One last note and this is mainly for other guide authors:

The theme of the guide is fairly basic and purposely designed to be so. The CSS Extension for the wiki, which most third-party guides use now, will be dropped for the upcoming wiki update. Therefore, I wanted to provide an example of a basic themed guide for others to draw inspiration from. Inline CSS still works, but I didn't use too much of it in order to showcase what can be done with just a few basic HTML elements, wiki syntax, and templates. The header of the guide has also been updated from other guides that use out-dated HTML elements, which are no longer supported in HTML 5.

Mod Suggestions

I am more than happy to take mod suggestions for this guide. However, when providing such suggestions please keep the following in mind:

• The suggestion should be inline with the style of the guide. Don't suggest anime-mod-XYZ, super-boobs-mod-ABC, or allows-players-to-cheat-mod-RST. Your suggestion will be ignored!
  • Please provide an overview of why you're suggesting the mod. Don't just copy and paste the author's mod page or your suggestion will be ignored. I'm looking for more thought than, "I like it."
  • The mod being suggested can not require porting to SSE. I've made the guide as easy to install as possible by specifically avoiding these mods.

Mod that Overhaul Cities and Towns

I typically leave mods like ETaC, JK's, and Open Cities to the user to add on their own or by installing a pack (if available). This is simply because mods like this open up other realms of compatibility issues. Most "casual" modders may not be aware of, or even think to check for, these other compatibility issues. Therefore, I leave mods like these up to the user or pack authors to install. As a result, this guide remains more stable for all to use.

Support Requests

I will obviously be providing support to users who need it; however, there are some guidelines because my time is valuable:

• Do your homework before asking! I'll likely ignore support requests that can be resolved by simply reading a mod page or the guide itself. I don't have time for laziness.
  • I don't provide a hand-holding experience for users by laying out step-by-step of what to do. Some basic modding knowledge is expected of users following the guide.
  • If you're having trouble with Wrye Bash, read the help files provided by clicking the blue "?" icon at the bottom of the program window before asking.
  • If a mod isn't in the guide, I likely won't know how it conflicts with other mods...don't ask! Learn xEdit and do your own homework.

These guidelines are not here for me to present myself as "mean" or "rude". Anyone who knows me knows that's not the sort of person I am. After doing this stuff for several years now, I find users will fit under one of three headings:

• Users who have enough experience will simply install extra mods themselves and not think anything of having to do so.
  • Less experienced users will either attempt to learn and install them on their own, asking for support when needed, or find and use a pack (if, available).
  • New users tend to just use the pack (if available) and not deviate much from the instructions. This is nothing bad, it's just a bit of experience these users have yet to gain.

This guide is not for users who fit into the third bullet above. This is why I state in the guide some basic modding knowledge will be required for it. I simply don't have time for a lot of support as I normally would because I'm taking on a lot of projects in regards to modding. I still work 40hrs a week in the real world, so this is all during my spare time. Not to mention I still have STEP to overseel, as well. ^_^

Screenshot Gallery

SkyrimSE_2017-07-18_14-18-52-93.jpgSkyrimSE_2017-07-18_14-20-18-13.jpgSkyrimSE_2017-07-18_14-21-52-59.jpgSkyrimSE_2017-07-18_14-22-59-29.jpgSkyrimSE_2017-07-18_14-26-43-34.jpg

SkyrimSE_2017-07-18_14-30-04-40.jpgSkyrimSE_2017-07-18_14-31-59-65.jpgSkyrimSE_2017-07-18_14-34-59-83.jpgSkyrimSE_2017-07-18_14-38-07-02.jpgSkyrimSE_2017-07-18_14-42-23-25.jpg

#2 Hackfield

Hackfield

Guard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 11:07 PM

I'm looking forward to your guide (I'm actually stalking it in the wiki :P)

Anyway, three small suggestions for the UI department:

First, Better Container Controls, turns the containers keys to be like in SkyUI 4.x, but more important, it fixes a few issues with SkyUI 2.2 (e.g. filtering not working when looting corpses)

Hopefully, this won't be necessary once SKSE64 arrives (and SkyUI 5 can be used in SSE), but until then.

The second suggestion is more of a personal taste, SkyHUD, it fixes a few texts and alignments in the HUD, but also, IMO, the ammo count and compass Fhaarkas designed are way better than the vanilla counterpart. It's also very easy to customize.

Last but not least, Custom Favorites Menu, and old known mod, there are a few presets here and there, but is probably best if you design your own, good thing is, you can safely alt-tab in SSE and see the results of the modifications right away.

#3 TechAngel85

TechAngel85

Akatosh

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,867 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 12:18 AM

It's mainly done and thanks for the suggestions. I'm just doing some testing and fine tuning to the patches as I find issues before I release it...which will likely be tomorrow sometime. I also want to do some tweaking the light colors from the fire sources in ELE. They tend to be a bit too orange at times, but that will likely come later.

#4 TechAngel85

TechAngel85

Akatosh

• Administrators
  • 11,867 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 12:47 AM

For those of you clever enough to find the guide on the wiki before release, I wouldn't use it just yet. It's likely finished as far as mods go (for now), but the patches are still being refined. I haven't linked to the newest ones I'm using.

#5 Teabag86

Teabag86

Commander

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 01:57 AM

Thanks Tech for doing the hard yards. It is only a matter of time before we all switch over, so I appreciate you going to the trouble of testing and comparing mods to your high standards. Cheers

#6 ZidanReign

ZidanReign

Prisoner

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 12:16 PM

Took a peek and it looks really nice, I'll wait for the patches, and I'll take a look at some other mods to put in for my loadout.  

Hope everything goes well in testing, and thank you for making an up to date guide!

Edited by ZidanReign, 19 July 2017 - 12:17 PM.

#7 mate1146

mate1146

Prisoner

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 12:57 PM

I just took a look at your mod list and I must say congratz on gathering up such nice mods. I would tweak small bits here and there but I will wait for your final version until I say anything about it. All in all, congrats again!

#8 TechAngel85

TechAngel85

Akatosh

• Administrators
  • 11,867 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 10:17 AM

You all may consider this guide released.

Now, go break it and have fun! Haha!  :lol: ^_^

#9 Phalaxis

Phalaxis

Prisoner

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 10:05 PM

Thanks for the guide. Going through it now. Just a little error i've found. The link to download SMIM is wrong.

#10 TechAngel85

TechAngel85

Akatosh

• Administrators
  • 11,867 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 10:29 PM

Thanks for the guide. Going through it now. Just a little error i've found. The link to download SMIM is wrong.

Thanks! Fixed it.

#11 LordDakol

LordDakol

Prisoner

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 10:50 PM

Hey Tech, great guide! I've found an error concerning SSIRT (unless I'm totally inept and missed something), where you say to just download and install normally. I've attempted to do this with Wrye Bash, but it wouldn't give me any options like the FOMOD would and installed every folder and texture.

#12 LordDakol

LordDakol

Prisoner

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 11:10 PM

Couldn't find an edit button for my post; but the link to SMIM is still incorrect.

#13 TechAngel85

TechAngel85

Akatosh

• Administrators
  • 11,867 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 11:15 PM

Hey Tech, great guide! I've found an error concerning SSIRT (unless I'm totally inept and missed something), where you say to just download and install normally. I've attempted to do this with Wrye Bash, but it wouldn't give me any options like the FOMOD would and installed every folder and texture.

It got updated today. I'll need to check what the author has done with the archive.

#14 LordDakol

LordDakol

Prisoner

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 11:38 PM

It got updated today. I'll need to check what the author has done with the archive.

Oh, that makes sense! Btw, Majestic Mountains is also gone. : (

#15 TechAngel85

TechAngel85

Akatosh

• Administrators
  • 11,867 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 12:01 AM

Oh, that makes sense! Btw, Majestic Mountains is also gone. : (

It somehow got deleted without the author knowing. The author has a message out to Nexus support.

And to get ahead of the game, the following install instructions will not be accurate yet:
  • Enhanced Blood Textures
  • Tempered Skins for Males
  • Vivid Weathers
I have provided new installers to the authors of those mods, but they have either not responded yet or haven't had the time to upload them. I will look into providing alternative instructions tomorrow.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: skyrim se

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users