Skyrim SE

Tech's Skyrim Special Edition Guide

• Please log in to reply
334 replies to this topic

#31 TechAngel85

TechAngel85

Akatosh

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,058 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 08:40 AM

I've spent a few hours following this. 

I've got to 'Tempered skins for males'.  How do I "repackage"?

That means you extract the archive, move the files around to package it correctly, re-archive the mod, and install as usual.

#32 Hackfield

Hackfield

Guard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 12:20 PM

I've posted a poll at the top of the thread for gathering some feedback.

I think first time players won't even get to see this poll, they are usually linked to the guide itself, and very few enter the forum, register and vote.

I believe the "filtering" is usually done by the referrer, if is a first time player, recommend STEP, if is an experienced one, recommend Neovalen's, etc. At least that was my experience.

Anyway, I don't really know what you are going to do with the feedback, but as the user I once were, I can only recommend this, if the guide is going to be for experienced users, don't throw every mod in it, 300 pages guides are a pain to follow.

#33 TechAngel85

TechAngel85

Akatosh

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,058 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 12:38 PM

I think first time players won't even get to see this poll, they are usually linked to the guide itself, and very few enter the forum, register and vote.

I believe the "filtering" is usually done by the referrer, if is a first time player, recommend STEP, if is an experienced one, recommend Neovalen's, etc. At least that was my experience.

Anyway, I don't really know what you are going to do with the feedback, but as the user I once were, I can only recommend this, if the guide is going to be for experienced users, don't throw every mod in it, 300 pages guides are a pain to follow.

That's true, but you can buy SSE now without needing the classic, Legendary version and there was just the Steam Summer Sale. Since there are no guides on STEP (currently) that support SSE, besides this one, then it's a valid question. SEPTIM, hosted on Nexus, is a valid guide for SSE but it needs updating.

There is a reason behind the requested feedback from the poll, which will probably affect the guide, but I'm not saying what that is just yet. Knowing the reason could cause bias voting so I'm keeping it to myself for now. ^_^

I don't expect the guide to grow much more pass what it is now in regard to mods. I'll add in the missing mods from the STEP Guide as they are ported over. I might look through Paul's list of mods to see if there are any gems I missed, but the guide is mainly finished as far as mods go. User suggested mods will still be considered and added, if I feel they fit the guide. It may take me a while to get to testing those suggestions. I am keeping track of them, though.

#34 Razorsedge877

Razorsedge877

Jarl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 03:09 PM

I have voted that I have played multiple times even though I only ever made it to the geybeards on classic skyrim.so I hope that counts;)

#35 Cyklope78

Cyklope78

Prisoner

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 08:45 PM

Looks great, TechAngel85!

​Thanks for this!  :clap: 

​Some points though:

I guess we can take it like the STEP guide for classic Skyrim but is it possible to mod it also?

I mean I usually, like many, used to have the STEP Core as a basis for Skyrim and then added other mods to fit my tastes. Is it possible with this also (re-doing the bashed patch of course) with as much ease? Mmmmh, well, it may be a silly Q :teehee: 

What about ini tweaks?

And how not messing up Skyrim install directories since we can't use (yet) Mod Organizer? Is it possible or are we back to the Modding Stone Age five/six years ago, overwriting original files?

Finally, IYHO, is it better or equivalent to a STEP guide as far as graphics and gameplay are concerned? I mean many mods aren't included and I'm afraid won't ever be ported so... I hesitate between keep on playing classic Skyrim (although I've spent hundreds of hours, I haven't finished both main quest and civil war between others!) and start a new game with SSE. Plus Unofficial Patches work... are they up to date? Etc...  ::P: 

#36 Phalaxis

Phalaxis

Prisoner

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 09:34 PM

I've completed the guide and added in a few of my own preferred mods - Ordinator, Weightless, Live Another Live and SkyHUD. All working well.

Thanks for a great guide.

#37 snoochems

snoochems

Prisoner

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 10:05 PM

Thanks Akatosh.  I think I have it right.

Just another question on the Enhanced Blood Textures - will there be any issue if I just install the '1 Core Files' without repackaging?

#38 TechAngel85

TechAngel85

Akatosh

• Administrators
  • 12,058 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 11:05 PM

I guess we can take it like the STEP guide for classic Skyrim but is it possible to mod it also?
I mean I usually, like many, used to have the STEP Core as a basis for Skyrim and then added other mods to fit my tastes. Is it possible with this also (re-doing the bashed patch of course) with as much ease? Mmmmh, well, it may be a silly Q :teehee:

Yes, you can customize it as you wish. I put notices with the mods that are required to use the Patches. So if users want to use the patches, they need to simply be sure to install those mods. Otherwise, customize it as you please.

What about ini tweaks?

The only INI editing I include is from BethINI. I don't agree with playing around foolishly with the INIs. You can become unstable or less stable rather quickly. BethINI will also detect the presence of ENB and set the correct setting with the Recommended Tweaks in BethINI.

And how not messing up Skyrim install directories since we can't use (yet) Mod Organizer? Is it possible or are we back to the Modding Stone Age five/six years ago, overwriting original files?

That's not possible until you use MO2. I don't consider it a stable platform, atm. That is why this guide uses WB. Yes, you will have files in your Data drive.

Finally, IYHO, is it better or equivalent to a STEP guide as far as graphics and gameplay are concerned? I mean many mods aren't included and I'm afraid won't ever be ported so... I hesitate between keep on playing classic Skyrim (although I've spent hundreds of hours, I haven't finished both main quest and civil war between others!) and start a new game with SSE. Plus Unofficial Patches work... are they up to date? Etc...  ::P:

This guide is based on the STEP Guide to a degree and from that you can deduct it's going to stay close to vanilla. Most graphic mods work in SSE without the need for porting. This guide actually requires no porting of mods. I've made it as easy as possible to install, but I'm not holding your hand all the way through the install either. As for the mods, yes, most are being kept up to date. The USSEP is released pretty much in tandem with USLEEP and there are still new mods being released daily. We may not have SKSE64 yet, but the SSE modding experience is becoming a worthwhile one.

#39 Cyklope78

Cyklope78

Prisoner

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 11:28 PM

Sounds great enough for me to give it a try ::): 

Though I'm desperate with the idea of messing up my data dir. But ok if we can't have the butter and the money for now, well...

Many thanks in any case!

#40 TechAngel85

TechAngel85

Akatosh

• Administrators
  • 12,058 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 09:48 AM

I've completed the guide and added in a few of my own preferred mods - Ordinator, Weightless, Live Another Live and SkyHUD. All working well.

Thanks for a great guide.

You're welcome!

Thanks Akatosh.  I think I have it right.

Just another question on the Enhanced Blood Textures - will there be any issue if I just install the '1 Core Files' without repackaging?

No, it'll be fine to do that.

#41 Lonewolf

Lonewolf

Guard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 01:54 PM

Little tip: you do not need to install Belt-fastened Quivers if you use XPMSSE, it is included.

Also, no WICO? I know that the plugins are full of uneccessary edits, but Hishutup made a nice script for SSEEdit to clean them up.

#42 evmiller

evmiller

Prisoner

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 04:13 PM

I used MO for this. You just have to do a manual install for the ones with Fomod installers and just unpack the BAIN folders according to the guide. Just expand the file trees and drag the folders to the root <data> part of the tree. Pretty easy. MO2 only crashes after you use external programs which is only a few times during the course of the guide. I think anyone following this guide can handle it. Thanks for this guide by the way.

#43 TechAngel85

TechAngel85

Akatosh

• Administrators
  • 12,058 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 04:34 PM

Little tip: you do not need to install Belt-fastened Quivers if you use XPMSSE, it is included.

Also, no WICO? I know that the plugins are full of uneccessary edits, but Hishutup made a nice script for SSEEdit to clean them up.

Thank you, sir. Those are good tips because those sort of things are spelled out well on the mod page.

No WICO. I had it installed for some testing, but didn't like it much even with the clean up script.

I used MO for this. You just have to do a manual install for the ones with Fomod installers and just unpack the BAIN folders according to the guide. Just expand the file trees and drag the folders to the root <data> part of the tree. Pretty easy. MO2 only crashes after you use external programs which is only a few times during the course of the guide. I think anyone following this guide can handle it. Thanks for this guide by the way.

No problem!

#44 TechAngel85

TechAngel85

Akatosh

• Administrators
  • 12,058 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 04:57 PM

Majestic Mountains is back online and I've updated the link on the guide. Also removed Belt Fastened Quivers.

#45 Luisangre

Luisangre

Guard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 05:25 PM

This is awesome. Thank you sir.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: skyrim se

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users