9 replies to this topic

#1 DarkladyLexy

DarkladyLexy

High King

• Pack Authors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 05:35 AM

This is more of curiosity but does anyone know who started the whole calling "Classic Skyrim Oldrim"?

#2 TechAngel85

TechAngel85

Akatosh

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,051 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 08:54 AM

"Oldrim", as far as I can tell, came from the lot over on Reddit. People are lazy and will use the shortest term they can come up with. I personally hate the term and never use it. I always use "classic Skyrim" in conversation. As far as I know, I was among the first group to start using "classic Skyrim" over "oldrim". I'd love to kill the term off, but it's the Internet.

#3 kabepo

kabepo

Citizen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 59 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 10:34 AM

I really don't like the term "Oldrim", and I'm also not too keen on "classic Skyrim".

I prefer Skyrim 2011 and Skyrim 2016.

#4 TechAngel85

TechAngel85

Akatosh

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,051 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 11:22 AM

I really don't like the term "Oldrim", and I'm also not too keen on "classic Skyrim".

I prefer Skyrim 2011 and Skyrim 2016.

For "Skyrim Special Edition", I just simply use "Skyrim SE" or "SSE" for short because that's its name. A lot of mod authors seem to be attaching "SE" to the end of their ported mods, as well, to signify the different versions.

#5 Greg

Greg

High King

• Super Moderators
  • 1,485 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 08:18 PM

I sometimes get the feeling I'm swimming upstream against a tsunami, but I don't like the term either. I refer to them as Skyrim and Skyrim Special Edition, but I'm over the hill and dislike acronyms because I think acronyms are a hindrance to clear communication. When someone writes CRF I always have to stop to think for a few minutes which of the many variations1 of CRF is being referred to in this context.

1 http://acronyms.thef...tionary.com/CRF

#6 TechAngel85

TechAngel85

Akatosh

• Administrators
  • 12,051 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 08:55 PM

I sometimes get the feeling I'm swimming upstream against a tsunami, but I don't like the term either. I refer to them as Skyrim and Skyrim Special Edition, but I'm over the hill and dislike acronyms because I think acronyms are a hindrance to clear communication. When someone writes CRF I always have to stop to think for a few minutes which of the many variations1 of CRF is being referred to in this context.

1http://acronyms.thef...tionary.com/CRF

I completely understand what you're saying. I work for a company that love acronyms. I've been in that very spot many times asking or wondering what the heck the company is referring to. Other times I have no idea what the acronym stands for, but I know what process it's referring to. For example... APOT. I have no idea what the acronym stands for, but in my company it's referring to the percentage of transactions completed using a company credit card vs another form of payment.

#7 kabepo

kabepo

Citizen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 59 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 02:08 AM

I came across another term yesterday on the Skyrimmods reddit - "Newrim". That made me cringe.

#8 DarkladyLexy

DarkladyLexy

High King

• Pack Authors
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 02:39 AM

ahh i see those reddit people i have never realy like the term "Oldrim" either although I am very guilty of calling it that.

#9 Nozzer66

Nozzer66

Dragon Prince

• Pack Authors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,480 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 03:24 AM

I just use 'Skyrim' and let people work out for themselves which version I mean. 

#10 GSDFan

GSDFan

Jarl

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 05:03 AM

Well AAR8 being a BHOF, I am glad that not all conversations on the web take on the form of SMS language.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users