40 replies to this topic

#31 MontyMM

MontyMM

High King

• Site Founders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 01:43 PM

I am interested in an explanation as to why. The way I see it, if we're going to wait for interest to die down, we may as well just not do anything, because by that time anything we do will no longer be relevant. Additionally, as I've mentioned, if we (or the Nexus) don't do this, Steam Workshop will (and probably others, e.g. Desura), and the Nexus will no longer be where most users download mods, anyways.

When I spoke to Dark0ne, I actually proposed the idea of a mod-pack/mutiple download system on the Nexus, as a competitive feature, or perhaps even as a further incentive for premium membership.  There isn't much interest at the moment.  That is their choice - I am not wedded to the Nexus, and if other services such as Steam or Desura offer us better functionality, STEP will no doubt be happy to make use of it. Again, personally, I don't see this happening anytime soon.

As far as an explanation of why I'm not interested putting together our own consolidated pack, the main point is one of workload and hassle.  It would require a fair amount of maintainance and the ongoing negotiations with modders and their wishes - some will not consent, making it a partial solution, others may get offended and revoke permissions, updates will become our concern to test, integrate and upload, and so on and on.  It's simply a whole other department of work that I don't think any of the team would consider justified at the moment.  We have limited time and many other priorities.  Personally, I have plenty to do on working on the automated installation system, and I'm quite happy to leave the downloading element as something to examine further in the future.

#32 Zixdey

Zixdey

Prisoner

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 05:02 PM

Oh well. That's disappointing, but you've certainly made good points. If there's any other way I can help with the automated installation system, please feel free to make use of me -- I'm a professional software engineer.

#33 z929669

z929669

Ixian Inventor

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,258 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 05:31 PM

Oh well. That's disappointing, but you've certainly made good points.

If there's any other way I can help with the automated installation system, please feel free to make use of me -- I'm a professional software engineer.

The project could use devels, so I encourage Monty to utilize your expertise when he gets to a point that he wishes to add a GUI and further enhancements (up to him). Aside from that, we could use some input regarding SMW and articulation with whatever evolves from this project.

Feel free to look under the hood of the wiki STEP Guide as an example of our SMW implementation.

#34 WilliamImm

WilliamImm

Legendary Blue Dragon

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,570 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 05:41 PM

Actually, I tried something once like this - I once attempted to make a revised version of the BiG World Installer for the Baldur's Gate games, but that went south. Then again, I can help in whatever way I can with programming.

#35 MontyMM

MontyMM

High King

• Site Founders
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 12:19 PM

Thanks for the offers of help. Skilled coders will be most welcome. TBH, when I started working on this a few weeks back, there didn't seem to be tremendous interest, and I put it on the back burner. Currently, I'm quite pressed at work. But I've put a fair bit of time and thought into it, and I've been tinkering with it when I can. I'll keep you guys posted, and I'm sure we can put together something useful.

#36 ibleedmonster

ibleedmonster

Prisoner

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 02:14 AM

I have been using step for awhile but havent been active in the community, would it be possible as dark0ne suggested a type of plug-in? more to the point, using a script within the nexus mod manager itself? this could possibly alleviate and satisfy both parties? the idea behind it is a person already has said mods, has clicked on ads etc but is simply using the NMM's update feature to keep mods updated and trigger the downloads automatically? then said script could for example, scrape the mods post NMM and combine them similar to what TPC did? I know this is a bit more complex than what I am suggesting but is it possible to do it this way?

#37 r40k2011

r40k2011

Prisoner

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 11:59 AM

I've been trying to use ruby's rake tool to automate installation: each mod is described by text file in ruby-based DSL; and this file contains info like mod dependencies and conflicts, features and installation instructions. I was inspired by gentoo linux portage package system which was designed to solve the same problems.

#38 MontyMM

MontyMM

High King

• Site Founders
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 12:06 PM

I've said this many times, but I always encourage individuals to pursue their own independent solutions - for the simple reason that co ordinatined team effort on this sort of thing is very difficult in the diffuse context of a hobby forum, with everyone's time budget and commitment so unstable. The best situation I think is a sort of open source free for all; let it shake out organically, sometimes building on each other's work.

#39 mothergoose729

mothergoose729

Thane

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 462 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 09:58 PM

I don't speak for the staff, but I am personally against automated downloading. If user doesn't visist the nexus then the nexus is out add revenue and they still front the cost of hosting. If a user doesn't visit a mod authors page the wont indorse or donate which is bad for authors.

#40 TechAngel85

TechAngel85

Akatosh

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,053 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 10:27 PM

DarkOne has already stated that he doesn't want automated downloading to be done for different reasons.

#41 MontyMM

MontyMM

High King

• Site Founders
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 05:15 AM

I don't speak for the staff' date=' but I am personally against automated downloading. If user doesn't visist the nexus then the nexus is out add revenue and they still front the cost of hosting. If a user doesn't visit a mod authors page the wont indorse or donate which is bad for authors.

I'm assuming that he's talking about automated installation, along the lines of what we've been discussing, rather than an actual downloader.  He mentions Portage and Rake, and they don't actually do any downloading in themselves.

I hope he doesn't mean automated downloading - you wouldn't have to read too far back in this thread to see why that's off the table around here - and I'm the one that promised Dark0ne we wouldn't do it!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users