Please help

Black_Angel

Question

I don't know where I ****ed up. Long story short, I was modding NV again through MO and using F&L guide from a clean install. It was going fine and all until I got to the point of having installed all of the body replacer mods, at this point for some reason the immersive hud mod or something (which is part of oHud iirc) was not working properly because HP, Compass, Action Points, and Ammos are showing regardless of my setting. I probably happened to missclick the hotkey to show it, but trying to clicking the hotkey doesn't really work because throwing spears show up and got hidden as I click the hotkey constantly. I tried reinstalling the UI mods, but it doesn't really work at all (and now that I think about it, I'm sure it was because I forgot I have to uninstall and reinstall some of the UI mods as noted by the guide). In a fit of frustration, I nuked the entire thing, since I'm not that far into modding the game. I uninstalled NV through Steam, got rid of whatever left of it on SteamApps folder (including the previous setup from modding through MO), restored the game via backup files I kept in my external hard drive, verified the game's cache/files, and launched the game through Steam once to let it setup .ini files. Basically, wiped the slate clean to begin modding again.

This time around, I was following the guide through setting up MO, when I remembered an old game's optimizing guide made by TTW team https://taleoftwowastelands.com/content/ttw-performance-guide I asked one of the members if I have to edit 2 of the 3 .ini files through MO, and yes I have to edit the .ini files through MO with the aforementioned edits I have to include to optimize game's performance. So I get back to setting up F&L modding guide all the way to the Fixes section, at least installing NVSR, and together with editing the .ini files through MO, I also throw in the edits mentioned by the performance guide, and also edited the fallout_default.ini in NV root folder. I was stopping at the Performance Guide's step #5 when I want to check how's the game doing by launching the NV.exe through MO, and then..... nothing. The game launched, it was black screen, but nothing, there's not even any sound at all. I can't end task the game through task manager, I have to shut down or restart every time. I thought the edits from Performance Guide is ******* with it, so I deleted all of the edits from the performance guide in the .ini files through MO, even reverting fallout_default.ini back to its initial state. The game still doesn't want to launch properly. Still black screen, no sound, and I can't end task through task manager so I have to shut down/restart every time. Is the game, if modded through MO, won't really work if I only manage to go until halfway through Fixes section? I haven't installed YUP + UP+, the left pane of MO only have JIP LN, NVAC, and NVSR so far.

On completely unrelated note, JIP LN, NVAC, and NVSR are all NVSE's extra plugins, right? So, do I have to manually install them all into NVSE's folder in NV's Data Folder, or is it okay installing them through MO? Because looking at NVSE's folder right now, with all 3 plugins installed through MO, the file seemed like it's untouched.

Anyway, thank you for your attention, guys.

4 answers to this question

You can change a lot of the UI settings once in game via the MCM for the appropriate mod, ie. iHUD - Extras. Make sure all those settings are what you are expecting to see.

The whole UI process is much simpler now with the use of UIO, so if you follow the guide step-by-step it will work.

If you haven't already, move MO away from any Steam folder or other UAC folder and work from there. MO does not need to be in proximity to either the game or Steam to function.

Yes the only INI files you need change are those in the profile you are currently using. These can be edited either via MO's tools or manually with a text editor.

All NVSE plugins can safely be installed via MO, so if that is what you have done that is fine.

Black screen --- make sure all the plugins are correctly checked and ordered as missing masters will break the game. Additionally check to see that MO's Archive management is on AND all BSAs are correctly checked in the UI. Lastly ensure no 3rd party software such as Steam's chat or your graphics driver's overlay software is on. All such 'addon' software are known to mess with the game when run through MO.

Lastly whenever catastrophic situations like this occur simply create a new profile and add things back in small batches to see if you can see what you have missed. You can also use these new profiles as stages of the entire process, once you get to a working stage create a new on profile from the last working one and proceed from there, this way you will always have a working game to fall back to.

You can change a lot of the UI settings once in game via the MCM for the appropriate mod, ie. iHUD - Extras. Make sure all those settings are what you are expecting to see.

The whole UI process is much simpler now with the use of UIO, so if you follow the guide step-by-step it will work.

If you haven't already, move MO away from any Steam folder or other UAC folder and work from there. MO does not need to be in proximity to either the game or Steam to function.

Yes the only INI files you need change are those in the profile you are currently using. These can be edited either via MO's tools or manually with a text editor.

All NVSE plugins can safely be installed via MO, so if that is what you have done that is fine.

Black screen --- make sure all the plugins are correctly checked and ordered as missing masters will break the game. Additionally check to see that MO's Archive management is on AND all BSAs are correctly checked in the UI. Lastly ensure no 3rd party software such as Steam's chat or your graphics driver's overlay software is on. All such 'addon' software are known to mess with the game when run through MO.

Lastly whenever catastrophic situations like this occur simply create a new profile and add things back in small batches to see if you can see what you have missed. You can also use these new profiles as stages of the entire process, once you get to a working stage create a new on profile from the last working one and proceed from there, this way you will always have a working game to fall back to.

Well, the wiki for F&LNV specified that I have to setup the MO's folder in New Vegas root folder. Oh well, if I don't have to, I can just put it somewhere and it won't get ****ed?

Also, what's graphic driver's overlay software, or any example of that? I'm not sure I have one. Have you checked TTW Performance Guide I linked before? It requires me to install Nvidia Profile Inspector. Does that counts as graphic driver's overlay software?

Oh, and also, I can't access the wiki.step-project. Keep getting Network Error for the last 2 days now, is it down?

Cheers.

AMD has "ReLive", nVidia has "GeForce Experience" other companies like Steam also try to force an overlay onto your game so you can: chat, take screenshots/videos easier, etc.

Yeah the wiki is down, one of the admins needs to give it a kick to restart.

MO is a so-called "portable" executable in that it makes no changes to the registry and all the configuration files are within its own structure. It 'knows' where the game is by reading the registry setting that game makes, but not write to it. This is why all the guides say you MUST start the game at least once from the desktop before using MO, otherwise the correct registry entries are not set.